My project for yesterday....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My project for yesterday....

I mentioned it to a couple in other threads about using a bedliner kit for trucks to seal your tub and prevent rust from happening. First of all I will tell you this, we opened our salon in August 2009 on a budget so being my wife has dealt with the issue of lifting big dogs into the tub before, so we deffinately wanted a tub with a ramp(i know many of you love you human tubs built up, but we dont have that kind of room in our salon. Our salon is 700 sq ft at the back where we work it is 13 ft wide so space is a issue, back to the point we ordered a 4' Edemco powder coated tub with slide out ramp. Starting sometime in December the tub started peeling and rusting, we contacted Edemco and they agreed to send a new one(which we just got Tuesday Feb. 9th) and then we decided to upgrade to their 5' model. With that said yesterday I went out and bought the bedliner kit and did this before we have the new tub installed. The first picture is the old 4' tub so you can see how sever the rust was.
    Attached Files

Here is step by step what i had to do.....i measured up 1" all the way around the bottom of the tub and marked it with a marker. Next i taped it all off every where i didn't want to paint, then i sanded it with some 1,000 grit wet sandpaper. Then i had to clean the whole area with Methyl Ethyl Ketone. It took me probably 45 minutes to prep it(by the way i did everything outside) now i was ready to apply the first coat. It takes anywhere from 1-4 hours before you can do a second coat. You have to wait till it is not tacky anymore, i painted the second and then did a third. The pictures are below.
    Attached Files

Comment

here is the rest
      Attached Files

Comment

I hope it works for you. We had the same thing done in the tubs for our shop, the exact same style how you did it, but had the pros do it. A couple months later it started to peel off around the edges, tried to glue it back but nothing would work. Finally cut off the edges on the wall parts, and it seems to be holding up on the bottom part of the tub.

Comment

I've never used bedliner in a tub...but I know people who have used it in their kennels. It is easy to clean, and the dogs can get traction on it. I always felt bad for dogs when they would slide around on cement floors. The bedliner is a GREAT solution. It lasts forever. Can get pretty pricey though. I also know a groomer that sprayed her whole bathing are with bedliner. Granted, it cost her a pretty penny...but she LOVES it.

Comment

Looks sharp!! I'm kind of dissapointed that only after 1 yr the original tub rusted soooo bad. I've never used anything but a stainless tub, but it still seems really quick to already have such an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessPoodle View Post
              Looks sharp!! I'm kind of dissapointed that only after 1 yr the original tub rusted soooo bad. I've never used anything but a stainless tub, but it still seems really quick to already have such an issue.
              Actually it was only 4 months

Comment

Working...
              X