Clipper Vac for house call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper Vac for house call?

I used a Clipper Vac Mini in my shop for nearly 20 years. However, I closed my shop and went strictly house call a couple of years ago, and it just remains such a struggle dealing with the hair. I kept thinking I would get used to it, but it’s just really burdensome to be constantly dealing with hair.

I am usually cognizant of any vents and ceiling fans and can accommodate for that and keep hair fairly well confined for easy cleaning, but today working near a window unit air conditioner may have been my last straw. I REALLY miss my Clipper Vac.

The Mini is obviously not feasible for carrying in and out of multiple homes every day, but the Tote seems like it might doable.The specs seem a little heavy compared to Hanvey’s smaller HairVac, but the Hanvey model apparently does not come with a carrying handle, and it comes with some mother board thing that can apparently be pretty fussy if it gets bumped. I am a huge fan of and own many Hanvey things, but I need to be able to just toss it in and out of my car several times a day and think that may be too sophisticated for me. My current CV is pretty basic and has lasted me nearly 20 years with easy repairs and maintenance (and was used when I bought it, so no idea how old it really is), and with all the use and moving is still in excellent working condition. It could not be easier to replace a motor or switch or brushes. Meaning I would be pretty comfortable tossing one in and out of the car because there doesn’t seem to be much I could tear up without being able to fix pretty easily myself.

I already carry a small shop vac for cleaning up when I’m done, and I’d just swap that out, so it’s not like it would be an additional piece of equipment.

I don’t find much talk when I do searches for groomers carrying clipper vacuuming systems for house call. Anyone here doing it? Can anyone give me some stuff to consider aside from it’s just an additional piece of equipment (to be offset by no longer needing the shop vac)?

Ha, I talked myself into it, anyway. Silly me; I do that.

Comment

I have the tote. Its heavy and would not use it if I had to lug it house to house. I can groom without it just fine.

If anything get a small shop vac to quickly clean up.

Comment

It would be handy but yep heavy. I wonder how many housecall groomers ask to groom on porch in nice weather, easy to sweep up and clean out there outside of the bath. I would rather strip on the porch.

Comment

It is heavy indeed, but I had inquired about weight ahead of time and then practiced carrying that weight around for a bit to get a feel for it. It arrived today.

I have already been lugging a shop vac and... blah blah blah, excuses, but basically, I am spoiled for a vac system and have hated the last couple of years of working without one, so I think it will be worth the weight in the aggravation it saves me playing in hair. I admit I’ve become a bit precious about it. Plus I have downsized and ditched a significant amount of stuff (and weight) that I was carrying that turned out to be not really necessary, anyway. I think (hope) maybe that will balance it out.

I’m more of an indoor girl. It is hot and muggy here and not really practical for me to count on being able to work outside much. I’m not opposed to it. It’s just a miserable climate for it most of the time, and humid still when it’s not.

I guess I’ll see if it turns out to be worth it, but I am stupid excited to work with a vac again.

Comment

Wwight-bearing exertion is healthy. My only suggestion is to be conscious of your body position when you pick it up and put it away. Its not weight that causes damage, but twisting or bending into stressful positions While carrying weight. I learned this during my 3-day career as a UPS employee!

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post
              I used a Clipper Vac Mini in my shop for nearly 20 years. However, I closed my shop and went strictly house call a couple of years ago, and it just remains such a struggle dealing with the hair. I kept thinking I would get used to it, but it’s just really burdensome to be constantly dealing with hair.

I am usually cognizant of any vents and ceiling fans and can accommodate for that and keep hair fairly well confined for easy cleaning, but today working near a window unit air conditioner may have been my last straw. I REALLY miss my Clipper Vac.

The Mini is obviously not feasible for carrying in and out of multiple homes every day, but the Tote seems like it might doable.The specs seem a little heavy compared to Hanvey’s smaller HairVac, but the Hanvey model apparently does not come with a carrying handle, and it comes with some mother board thing that can apparently be pretty fussy if it gets bumped. I am a huge fan of and own many Hanvey things, but I need to be able to just toss it in and out of my car several times a day and think that may be too sophisticated for me. My current CV is pretty basic and has lasted me nearly 20 years with easy repairs and maintenance (and was used when I bought it, so no idea how old it really is), and with all the use and moving is still in excellent working condition. It could not be easier to replace a motor or switch or brushes. Meaning I would be pretty comfortable tossing one in and out of the car because there doesn’t seem to be much I could tear up without being able to fix pretty easily myself.

I already carry a small shop vac for cleaning up when I’m done, and I’d just swap that out, so it’s not like it would be an additional piece of equipment.

I don’t find much talk when I do searches for groomers carrying clipper vacuuming systems for house call. Anyone here doing it? Can anyone give me some stuff to consider aside from it’s just an additional piece of equipment (to be offset by no longer needing the shop vac)?
              I have seen one connected to a small hand truck with wheels making it pretty easy to get around. That could be hard getting in your car but I have seen one with a collapsible handle like on luggage with wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
                Wwight-bearing exertion is healthy. My only suggestion is to be conscious of your body position when you pick it up and put it away. Its not weight that causes damage, but twisting or bending into stressful positions While carrying weight. I learned this during my 3-day career as a UPS employee!
                Former trucker and freight slinger here. I feel you! My back is garbage, so I do try to put a lot of emphasis on proper posture and movement. A good sneeze can throw out my back, ha!

Comment

Originally posted by whitedog View Post

I have seen one connected to a small hand truck with wheels making it pretty easy to get around. That could be hard getting in your car but I have seen one with a collapsible handle like on luggage with wheels.
                  I am actually considering something like this. I am thinking of one of those little collapsible wagons that folds up kind of like an umbrella and just toss everything into it.

Comment

Originally posted by whitedog View Post

Just saw her today and said she does it but some cats don't like the noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post

I am actually considering something like this. I am thinking of one of those little collapsible wagons that folds up kind of like an umbrella and just toss everything into it.
                      Yes I asked a house call groomer that wants to work here 2 days a week and that is what she does and she can put her other tool bag on top and roll the whole project.

Comment

That is a lot of work. Why not just wear a mask?

Comment

I wear a mask, but it’s pretty useless for hair that piles up on the table and around my feet. I just hate that so much. Carrying a CV turned out not to even be much extra effort since I no longer need to carry a shop vac, but it saves me tons of time and aggravation constantly brushing and sucking hair out of the way. No regrets. I wish I’d done it sooner.

Comment

What is the best model, the tote?

Comment

Working...
                            X