Bare bones store front set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare bones store front set up

I am planning on starting up a grooming shop, hopefully in the spring. What do you guys consider essential for a bare bones set up? I have some comb/slickers, shears, blades, clippers and a clipper vac tote along wahl snap on combs and nail clippers. I also have a small dryer, shop vac, tub, home made table, mop bucket and some cages. I would like to put together a list of stuff to get over the winter and possibly some upgrade items for when I have extra money.

What type of front counter and gates to keep dogs from escaping? Workstation or tool organizers. Shelving. Towel racks. Cleaning supplies, trash can. Utility tub. Customer chair and little table.

Comment

It's a small store front(450sq ft) we are still working out floor plans and I am probably going to get the BIB floor plans. I was thinking a short 3.5-4 ft tall counter with a half door to bring the dogs in through..

Comment

Originally posted by SoapDish View Post
        It's a small store front(450sq ft) we are still working out floor plans and I am probably going to get the BIB floor plans. I was thinking a short 3.5-4 ft tall counter with a half door to bring the dogs in through..
        Well a taller counter or at least 4 might be helpful. People set things down on it, might sign something on it. It may be rare but I have seen dogs jump on 4 plus foot counters, and jump through half doors. Rare but it happens. If you use gates as we do make sure the opening between pickets are not too wide, or put some stiff metal screening a foot or more tall along the bottom. You can spray paint the same color as the gate.

Comment

I would suggest you go to the classified ads here I read daily. Go to the businesses for sale and look at the ones with pictures. Beautiful places and average places but look at how they equipped places for your list. You can get t here easy. I use the link near the top of the page of this message board.

Comment

Average kitchen counter height is 36 inches so that would be a comfortable height for your counter top too. Easy for folks to place their purse or even their small dog.

I have a 500 square foot house and sometimes I look at it and think “this could easily be a grooming shop with plenty of space left over.”

Comment

Soapdish. I started out just like you, even down to the homemade grooming table. You will do just fine.
              It just goes to prove that you don’t need to spend thousands to set yourself up in business. Go For It!

Comment

Yes, a 4 ft counter and even the door would be better. I always made sure the the door to the groom area opens inward, so if a dog jumps on it and it's not latched, it won't open. Make sure you can lock that door from the inside so someone, especially children, don't open it.
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Right Karla about the inward opening but if you add doors make sure whether they open inward or outward must be compliant with fire code.

Comment

Admin has some preprinted sheets you print and fill out everything you need in amazing detail and you can enter costs and total it all up.

Comment

The biggest scare is pets that get out the door and costly for a shop so pay close attention to the advice. I worked at a place that had those split doors, we call them dutch doors, and big dogs on the run can get over them.

Comment

Thank you all for the great information. I am very concerned about possible escapees. I've seen a beagle jump straight up onto a 3ft counter from a standstill.
                        I got the floor plan package and am currently working on a rough draft. I will post it as soon as I can.

Comment

Counters can be as high as 5 ft I think. Tall stool needed if you sit but most of the time you don't. You are likely to stand there so go for that.

Comment

Beware back door access too. Do you know how many pets have escaped going out back doors that were opened? I don't but I do know some have. I saw a groomer in CA that built a little fenced potty area out her back door and said it stops the escape artists from getting the back parking lot. I thought that was a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by SoapDish View Post
                              I am planning on starting up a grooming shop, hopefully in the spring. What do you guys consider essential for a bare bones set up? I have some comb/slickers, shears, blades, clippers and a clipper vac tote along wahl snap on combs and nail clippers. I also have a small dryer, shop vac, tub, home made table, mop bucket and some cages. I would like to put together a list of stuff to get over the winter and possibly some upgrade items for when I have extra money.
                              Any updates to your planning?

Comment

Working...
                              X