Best handling/aggressive dog dvd's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best handling/aggressive dog dvd's

I had to send home my 1st dog today. It was aggressive before the parents even left the vets office. It got worse from there and the dog made multiple attempts to bite me, despite treats and letting her get comfortable with my grooming room. As a last resort, i tried the GH, ecollars, and muzzles - none of which worked - she got muzzles & ecollars off and flipped out really bad with the GH. Owners refused to sedate. Are there any recommendations for aggressive dog dvd's that might give me some guideline regarding when to send a dog home or other techniques to try?

I should have know i was in trouble when i told the vet techs who i was grooming and they said "good luck"!
    Thanks.

I don't know

I don't know what DVD's might help. I used to do every dog, and could handle and talk to almost everything, and was weird enough to do it mainly without muzzling!! I was kind of like Cesar Millan, I guess, doing a mind control/energy thing. Dominant Bouvier?? I would do it. Nasty Cocker?? I'd get through that, too. Hysterical Maltese?? Fear-biting Shih Tzu?? Done 'em. But not any more.

I got tired of handling dogs like that. It wears you out, PLUS can stop your grooming career. It requires focus and nerve, even if a dog is muzzled. It is not fun, and does not pay enough. I now tell people, "Grooming should not be a rodeo - if your dog is that bad, someone else can deal with it".

The dog you describe has learned about avoiding/thrashing/having a tantrum and not having to be groomed. So it is not safe for you.

Have a longer and more pleasant career - send away dogs that can be an obvious danger to you. The better you are with the freakazoids, the more of them you will have and the more unpleasant your job will become. Look down the road, and choose the more pleasant path.

Comment

Originally posted by nancyfancy View Post
      I had to send home my 1st dog today. It was aggressive before the parents even left the vets office. It got worse from there and the dog made multiple attempts to bite me, despite treats and letting her get comfortable with my grooming room. As a last resort, i tried the GH, ecollars, and muzzles - none of which worked - she got muzzles & ecollars off and flipped out really bad with the GH. Owners refused to sedate. Are there any recommendations for aggressive dog dvd's that might give me some guideline regarding when to send a dog home or other techniques to try?

I should have know i was in trouble when i told the vet techs who i was grooming and they said "good luck"!
      Thanks.
      If I were you... I would speak to the owners (maybe get the vet involved as well) and explain to them that their dog has [i]severe fear/panic issues[/i] with grooming (tell them what you told us, and that vet groomers are not miracle workers!) and that sedation would be the kindest and only way you will groom it. After all, there is no reason for you to risk harm to yourself (tell them that too) because they refuse to sedate. Invite them to "observe" their dog's behavior, it may change their mind. If they don't like that, then they can go elsewhere.

Is the dog a large dog? I have two that are fear/panicky just like that and finally gave in to sedation. It helps but doesn't "cure" them. For one of them, a shih tzu, I keep a pair of thin leather gloves and groom with them on. Even if the dog "gets" my hand it won't break the skin although it will still hurt. I use all the tools you use.

Somebody has to do them.......
      Last edited by MydogMissy; 05-05-10, 06:34 AM. Reason: additional thought
      A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

Comment

I had to send one home today b/c once I put it in the kennel I couldn't get it back out. It was a shih tzu that the owner had groomed since she's had it, and it's four years old. The owner came back into the kennel room and was scared of it herself, I had to leave the room so she could coax it out. She then told me that she thought I'd have trouble as she usually sedated the dog and groomed it herself but the vet wouldn't give her anymore pills. Go figure, I can't believe she wasted my time with this dog when she couldn't even deal with it herself. I told her to find a groomer located in a vets office so it could be properly sedated and monitered for grooming.

I just won't deal with dogs like that, some I work with but others just want to be left alone and I can't afford to be hurt so I send the nasty ones home.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbiedogs View Post
          The dog you describe has learned about avoiding/thrashing/having a tantrum and not having to be groomed. So it is not safe for you.

Have a longer and more pleasant career - send away dogs that can be an obvious danger to you. The better you are with the freakazoids, the more of them you will have and the more unpleasant your job will become. Look down the road, and choose the more pleasant path.
          Well put Ms Debbiedogs...I couldn't agree more.
          Since it doesn't sound like anyone there has your back, you need to give serious thought as to how selective you can be.
          Look out for yourself!
          You made the same decision I would have,...only I would have zero regrets.
          I seriously doubt any DVD would have changed the outcome for this particular dog.
          Last edited by 4Sibes; 05-04-10, 09:40 PM. Reason: had to zap a mysterious appearing word out.
          Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Sibes View Post
            Well put Ms Debbiedogs...I couldn't agree more.
            Since it doesn't sound like anyone there has your back, you need to give serious thought as to how selective you can be.
            Look out for yourself!
            You made the same decision I would have,...only I would have zero regrets.
            I seriously doubt any DVD would have changed the outcome for this particular dog.

Yup yup and YUP! I also (now) have no regrets when I send a bugger back out the door. Might be age catching up with me or maybe
            I'm getting wiser (doubt it) or maybe I'm turning chicken but I no longer feel the need to "prove" myself by doing the dogs that have been kicked out of every other shop in the tri-state area. Especially if the owners aren't willing to "man up" and try to assist me in working and dealing w/the bad behavior.

How old was this dog? I am assuming that this was an adult dog that has been groomed before? How many other places had it been "banned" from? Or was this an adult dog that they just decided to have "pampered" for the heck of it? Were you warned that the dog was difficult and/or aggressive or did they just let you find that out on your own? What was their reason for not wanting to sedate?

These are some questions that I would want HONESTLY answered before I would even think of trying to do work w/the dog again.
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for all the encouragement. It's nice to hear from people who are in the trenches everyday. The dog was a Shih-pug, so with all the wild behavior I was really concerned about a prolasped eyeball, as well. The vet has talked to the owners about this dogs behavior on several occaissons. It usually takes 3 vet techs and a muzzle just to do a nail trim on the little bugger. Apparently the mom doesn't think this dog can do any wrong, which is why they refuse to sedate.

Also, I lease space from a very busy clinic, so techs don't always have the time to help control a wild dog - but they give me as much help and advice as they can, so they really are good to me there. If I had really pushed the point, I'm sure we could have hog-tied the pup somehow, but I didn't think it was really worth it when the owners groom him pretty regularly at home (without incident, they claim).
              Last edited by nancyfancy; 05-05-10, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Sigh...when will you groomers get it?

You sedate the OWNERS first, THEN you sedate the dog. Got it?

Chow for now.

Tammy in Utah
                Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I love it! A whole new type of sedated grooming! Now that would be a DVD i could really get into....

Comment

Working...
                  X