Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Styling Sessions Grooming Competition DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Styling Sessions Grooming Competition DVD?

Just wondering if any of you have seen it, and if it helped you at all, etc. I was thinking of ordering it, hoping to improve my competition abilities, etc...

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I have it sitting on the shelf at work. I have never looked at it. It was in our gift packet from APF last year. Maybe I should look at it! They are two of the best thats for sure.
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I got it and I liked it a lot---would recommend it.
      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

I got a best of clips show one when I went to one of their seminars. I liked it alot. It's about the same as going to one of their seminars, so thats the kind of content and flow it has. I'm saving up for more of their videos now.

Comment

It's very interesting, I enjoyed it a lot. I'll lend it to you if you want....
          Jacob

Comment

I bought it right before I competed last year at US Pet Pro Classic. I was a little disappointed. They come right out and say that they were aiming not at the beginner but at groomers interested in becoming members of the Groom Team USA. I thought that was a little odd, since someone who had been competing and considering Groom Team didn't need a DVD to help them.

So I was disappointed. It very little information that helped me as a first time competitor.
            "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
              So I was disappointed. It very little information that helped me as a first time competitor.
              what a bummer...with just learning there are going to be comp's at the NW show, I'd like to compete and was just wondering if it'd be worth buying these.
              ~*~*~Shawn, C.M.G.~*~*~
              Apparently common sense isn't all that common
              *~*~emipoo on egroomer*~*~*

Comment

Thanks, Full_Groom, I didn't realize Keyray had one though, so I'll just borrow hers if I need it.

But I need one for the beginning to intermediate level competitor. I can't see Jonathan David, Jessica Rudden, or someone who's wanting to be on GroomTeam to go out and buy a video, that's odd. Seems they'd already know the ins and outs.

I just wondered because I could use all the help I can get. I noticed their Bichon DVD is like ...35 minutes!! The Shih Tzu one was 1 hr. 45 minutes---can that be correct? It's in the Pet Edge catalog. I need way more help with my bichons, I can't imagine grooming one in a half hour.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

I find the average length of the videos are around 2 hours. I actually like the videos over some of the others. Sue is a very wonderful person to deal with as well, which is a bonus in my book! I would recommend the videos 100%!

Comment

The competition DVD was the first one that I got by Jay and Sue. Based on the one DVD I wouldn't be interested in buying a second. I attend their Super Styling Session and they were a lot of fun. I loved their banter and they really did give a lot of information in that session. So I don't have a general prejudice against them, I really like them, so maybe my expectations were too high.

What I wanted was what to expect and what to plan for, I really didn't need to be told how to be a good winner or loser. I wanted to know what to include in my "kit" and they didn't cover that at all. They also said that you could ask a judge on something that is personal preference (shave a terriers ears versus plucking--the breed standard doesn't indicate that one is better than the other). But I was told at the competition if I had done that I would have been disqualified. Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by keyray View Post
                      What I wanted was what to expect and what to plan for, I really didn't need to be told how to be a good winner or loser. I wanted to know what to include in my "kit" and they didn't cover that at all. They also said that you could ask a judge on something that is personal preference (shave a terriers ears versus plucking--the breed standard doesn't indicate that one is better than the other). But I was told at the competition if I had done that I would have been disqualified. Ah well.
                      Hey, I wrote a book about all of this, you know!!
                      And you will not get DQ'ed for a prep talk with Judges. It is up to the Judges to handle the meeting the correct way and to adhere to talking about what they are allowed to talk about before a class, not up to the competitors to know what questions they cannot ask. Sometimes IJA vs. USA shows are different about some of their regulations, but I have sat in on many one one ones and impromptu Q&A sessions and no one got into any trouble.
                      Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
                      www.ChrisSertzel.com

Comment

KeyRay, in ten years of competing I have never heard such a thing! We are ENCOURAGED to ask preferences. HECK they have a meeting at most shows to do just that. ASK THE JUDGES QUESTIONS. I mean, I have asked questions before IN THE RING, but you are preferred to do it outside, before the class starts or during pre judging.
                        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Addiron View Post
                          I find the average length of the videos are around 2 hours. I actually like the videos over some of the others. Sue is a very wonderful person to deal with as well, which is a bonus in my book! I would recommend the videos 100%!
                          Yes, I am wondering if Pet Edge made an error??

I actually haven't seen them, but Keyray did and she told me she enjoyed their session---'course, she just said it here too, lol.

Thank you.

Tammy in Utah

Comment

Originally posted by windywaycavaliers View Post
                            Hey, I wrote a book about all of this, you know!! at in on many one one ones and impromptu Q&A sessions and no one got into any trouble.
                            Yeah, but your book came out AFTER I competed. I would have loved to have your book. I can guess that it probably would have REALLY helped.

Comment

What they meant by making the dvd for Groomteam hopefuls is NOT that they are marketing it to peeps who compete a lot already... They meant it for someone who is interested in multiple competitions on a more serious level than just someone who decides to compete once and be done. Someone who just wants to compete once or twice in their life probably isn't going to put in the time to watch the dvd in the first place. This is meant to give a starting advantage to those who want to compete but know nothing about the process.

It IS for beginners.

The content is meant to help someone who needs to find dogs, know what to do for prep, know what to expect in the ring, know what to expect from judges, etc.

They give some terrific advice regarding stacking, presentation, etc. during judging.

I got the DVD in my Atlanta ring-tote last year. It definitely helped me in Chicago.

Considering that they are judges themselves, their advice is practical and SOUND.

For whomever mentioned they didn't want to buy another dvd of theirs after this one: This is NOT a grooming dvd. This is a more like a consulting dvd. It helps a lot for beginners... But, it was not meant as a technical-instruction dvd.

Comment

Working...
                              X