Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 Reasons I Don't Allow Blue Jeans at Work (Blog Post)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see a picture of what Melissa's staff wear.

I normally wear nice jeans with a scrub top. I am 6'2" and I look really stupid in scrub pants. I'm neat and clean

Scott

Comment

I understand where MV is coming from and trying to say. When you have multiple employees I do think it's easier to just have a dress code, as not everyone gets " clean presentable pants" and I've had people show up with sweat pants or tight bum cheek hugging tights and I've had to talk to them about it.
      I do wear jeans in winter, but often put a pair of nice grooming pants on top( retro cargo pants, not those baggy wrinkle nylon brands). In summer I'm too hot and have to wear Capri, and usually trade my smock for a tank top and apron and flip flops ( I'm always too hot). But heck I own the joint. But I do agree with general message, and always have my hair and makeup done. I simply can't handle full outfits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        Well groomers, let's not stick our nose up at Joe's Crab Shack too fast........revenues for the second quarter of 2016 was 108.4 million.....not as much as the past year, but not too shabby either.

Nothing wrong with wearing flippy flops, letting your little toe'sies breath. since your little toe'sies are under the grooming table, falling scissors will usually miss them :>)

AND what's so wrong with printed Tee's ?? Every t-shirt I own has printed dogs on them.

I say, lighten up on your staff, and pay particular attention to grooming abilities and customer service. A happy employee results in a happy salon and it usually results in a more willingness to learn.

Happy wearing printed t-shirts

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        Yay for Joe's Crab Shack. I'm happy for them. I hear certain adult websites are doing quite well too. I still think it looks unprofessional in my not Joe's Crab Shack or adult website related business. My thing is I do not want to have to define what is an ok or not ok design. That cute dog shirt? Probably ok. That rebel flag shirt (extremely common here)? Nope. That cute dog shirt.... ok, cool... wait, what does it say underneath the dog in those little letters that I just noticed halfway though the day? Something about a bitch? GTFOH. It's easier to just say no print tees than play fashion police daily.

There may be nothing wrong with YOU wearing flip flops. Still hell no on flip flops and sandals here. If people feel too oppressed by having to wear appropriate footwear and a shirt without some colorful not-my-company logo to be able to function, I'm sure we're not a good match, anyway. They can air their feet out all they want on their own time.

But then again, what works for one person may not work for others. I mean, I don't care if others wear print tees and flip flops on their jobs. Or Daisy Dukes and belly shirts or swim floaties and snorkels, for that matter. Not here.

Since I opened this place, I have put great effort into running it like a business and portraying professionalism to counter the hobby groomer perception. I'm a hard arse about professional appearance AND performance. I do not think they have to be mutually exclusive.

Comment

AND what's so wrong with printed Tee's ?? Every t-shirt I own has printed dogs on them.
          Well because I like to wear t shirt's that say "I <3 cats, You, not so much" I also have one for dogs. LOLOLOLOLOL

Scott

Comment

So today I went to the Scrub store to get new scrubs for my new business and found these cool scrubs by a company called Koi. Even the scrub pants were really nice and looked cool, more cargo looking and they fit me nicely. So now I think jeans are ****....LOLOLOL

Scott

Comment

Have to chuckle..........I would LOVE to see a video of you guys washing a dog and GETTING YOUR PANTS WET............you need to have control of the dog and yourself with the spray nozzle. I've been grooming since 1987 and I've never had my pants wet......if I get a little water on me, its from the dog shaking and it's just spray from the waist up.

I have complete control over my movements wearing jeans.........if someone is blaming jeans for non-movement, maybe a trip to the gym is in order

Our Wal-Mart allows their workers to wear jeans, and I've never thought a thing about it.

Happy doing some push-ups

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
              Funny! My jeans never got wet from the bathing but certainly did at times with all the ladies asking for help with the 150 pound dogs and getting them out of the tub, things like that. I also worked at a place that used a shower stall type insert and that with large dogs could be messy. But not talking about soaking wet, but actually anything cotton absorbs humidity in a wet area which may not be as comfortable, and cotton loves to absorb odors and stains as well. So I avoided cotton anything while grooming.

Comment

When I first started at Petsomething as a bather my manager was very strict with the dress code and I feel it was just to keep us all comfortable. I was told wear black exercise pants and waterproof close-toed shoes/boots because you will get wet, dogs will scratch your legs, step on your feet, and tools may fall and hurt you. When I became a groomer the rules were more lax allowing me to wear black yoga pants if I chose. Fast forward to working in many private salons and they are very willy-nilly with the dress code and I have seen many accidents that just didn't need to take place and could have been prevented with a simple dress code. I don't see how jeans could cause a safety issue but I do think they would be most uncomfortable if you are working in a shop that does not employ a bather. I would never wear jeans just for the fact that hair would stick to them and I would feel very upset when my pants got wet.

Comment

Guess the jeans response was originally to me. Oops.
                  I launder all my groom wear after each use. Jeans wouldn't survive long in that type of situation and the yoga pants do. Besides, yoga pants are only about $50 each and my jeans cost about 3 to 4 times that. Would much rather have a dog express annals on cheaper clothing.

Working in a brick and mortar or even housecall creates a different expectation from clients. Mobile allows more personal creativity since you are working in your own environ ( and how often have we heard that there is frequently little direct contact with the human client due to access codes or keys left available). In that situation I might also relax my dress. However, for those of us who interact more consistently with the human clients a dress code is not inappropriate.
                  That's why there are so many choices available.

Comment

There are many choices available but I still stick to my statements about jeans. I don't get them wet bathing, hair sticks to them no worse than any other clothing (unless you wear some pants like our smocks), they do not restrict movement, and I would hope we all laundry our work clothes after a day at work but my plain ole wranglers will last years and sure don't cost 50 bucks! (No bling on my butt jeans allowed, lol, I think bling on the butt jeans are ugly) Shorts and sandals have never gotten me scratched or stepped on, nor do I drop my equipment on my feet, to each his/her own on what we wear.....just be sure to be clean and neat looking.
                    Last edited by Cyn; 02-13-17, 07:21 AM.
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I think that MV's point is that no matter what you wear, there is a fine line between dressing casually and appearing unkempt. My personal choice is the "upscale cosmotogist" look. Black pants (yes even black jeans), nice top, and a fitted smock with closed toe Alegria shoes. What works for me is not for everyone. Vive la diference! I think the point MV is making is that for me at my age (and slightly fluffier than I used to be size!), I would appear completely unprofessional and inappropriate showing up to work in ripped jeans or sweats, a braless low cut spaghetti strapped tank or a double entendre graphic tee, and a baggy smock with unrepaired ripped pockets. (C'mon we have all seen this!) It is very easy in a less than glamorous environment of water, shampoo, flying hair, and assorted canine bodily fluids, to let one's appearance take that slow slide into an unprofessional realm. I think the point here is that as long as you find a look that works for you, and you present a well groomed appearance to your clientele, then it's all good. Just please leave your "You mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park" tee shirt in the drawer. Btw...I used to in a mobile home, so please no angry rants! This is a real tee, and yes...they wore it to work!

Comment

I wear jeans every day. Hair doesn't stick to them, it's why I wear them. As a side note, Honey I about choked on the cost of your jeans, I have a hard time paying over 50 bucks for a pair. It kills me.

I find scrubs pants to be ill fitting, and I'm not willing to go through hundred of dollars finding a pair that isn't.

I have been soaked in jeans, soaked like I jumped in a pool in them, by two 140 pounds Mals I do. There is no controlling their shakes, you might catch half of them, but they'll manage to sneak them in. That hair hold a LOT of water.

I don't wear open toed shoes or even sneakers with webbing. Leather only. Why? Because of hair splinters. Yep, hair splinters in the toe, not fun, and hard to get out so no thanks.

I don't wear t-shirts, because when they get wet they stay wet. I wear a scrub top only and put an apron on when in the van, but take it off if I'm going back and forth for multiple dogs at the same house.

I don't wear makeup at work or out of work with a few exceptions a year, but never at work. I actually couldn't because I wear a mask to groom.

I don't wear jewelry because I wear ear muffs to dry and it's uncomfortable with earrings. The only jewelry I wear (at least up to a few days ago when it fell off somewhere and I didn't notice it) is my wedding band.

I can understand why if one owns a shop with multiple employees you would require a dress code.

Comment

I love my jeans! The kind I wear for work are the stretchy kind so I have full range of movement and hair doesn't stick to them. I also have my printed work logo t-shirt and smock that I wear, if for some reason I end up getting soaked from a big dog, I just throw on my back ups and put my wet clothes in our dryer. I think it just depends on what works for the environment that you groom in, I work in a daycare/board facility and our dress code is decent pants, plain black shirt or logo shirt. Although since I am the grooming manager and currently the main/lead groomer I get to pick out my smocks as needed it's fun to put my personal flair on it!
                          As for shoes, I couldn't imagine a day without my non-slip work boots! I'm such a clutz that I would be slipping and sliding everywhere lol. I do wear makeup, but not much at all, just waterproof eyeliner and eyebrow pencil (I was born very blonde and without the pencil I don't have visible eyebrows, yikes!)

Comment

If it gets too humid I find jeans absorb a lot of it and feel more uncomfortable, but even non cotton material can be an issue so I make sure my apparel slacks are just a bit baggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                              If it gets too humid I find jeans absorb a lot of it and feel more uncomfortable, but even non cotton material can be an issue so I make sure my apparel slacks are just a bit baggy.
                              Time for shorts if too humid, lol
                              What is boils down to is....wear what is clean and well kept that fits your own style or if applicable wear whatever your boss wants you to wear.
                              Last edited by Cyn; 03-11-17, 07:19 PM. Reason: Can't spell
                              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X