Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 5 Reasons I Don't Allow Blue Jeans at Work (Blog Post)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 5 Reasons I Don't Allow Blue Jeans at Work (Blog Post)

Melissa Verplank's blog.......

I know I'm going to ruffle a few feathers with this blog. But... my blog - my opinions. It's ok if you don't agree with me, but this is how I feel.

Call me old-fashioned. Call me a stick in the mud. Call me conservative. All of them are true.

When it comes to presenting a professional image appealing to our service-based clientele, I want simplicity. I want neat. I want clean.

Why?

Professional pet groomers have an image problem. As a whole, we are not seen as "true" professionals. We are not respected. Professional pet grooming is not commonly viewed as a credible profession. My father wasn't thrilled about my early career move back when I was twenty. (He's OK with it now!) What about your dad?

Unfortunately, this image problem is often well deserved. We are our own worst enemies. If we want to be true professionals, we need to look and act the part. Not just in how we present ourselves, but how we present our businesses, as well. Are we personally presenting a neat, tidy, and clean appearance? What about our salons and mobile vans?

If we can't groom ourselves, how do we ever expect our clientele to view us as educated professionals? How do we instantly gain their trust? How do we build a long-term relationship based on respect?
    None of this will happen if we don't take pride in ourselves and our workplace.

Not allowing my team to wear blue jeans at work is my first line of defense.

We have less than 30 seconds to make a first impression. When a new client walks in the door, the impact is almost instant. What do they see? What do they smell? And what do they hear?
    I'm not here to argue some people can rock it in a pair of well-fitted blue jeans. The problem is - most of us can't. When I'm working with a large team of people, it's much easier to require a basic dress code.
    Dress codes don't have to be complicated. They go a long way to set the first stages of creating a positive first impression.

5 Reasons Why A Dress Code is Good For Business

1. A dress code creates uniformity. Keep it simple. Matching attire goes a long way to create a positive impact on clientele. Black, khaki, or even white slacks, capris or longer shorts look professional, especially when teamed up with coordinating business shirts or jackets. Some pet service businesses find matching medical scrubs a simple way to unify their team. If you're dealing with dog hair all day, matching hair-repelling garments make it simple to look stylish. Clients instantly know who is a staff member.
    2. It's controllable. With a well-written dress code, it's easy to get a consistent look within your entire team. Plus, it's easy to enforce it.
    3. It minimizes risk. Dealing with dogs all day presents risks. You need to be stable on your feet and be able to stand for hours. Sturdy footwear is a must. Hooped jewelry poses a health threat to the wearer when handling dogs.
    4. It builds trust. Having a clean, crisp, and simple - but polished - dress code in place instantly builds credibility with clients. Trust is at the heart of all successful service based business, bringing clients back on a regular basis.
    5. It simplifies life in general. Today, we all have hundreds of decisions to make. By establishing clear boundaries with a dress code, you simplify your team's daily decision-making process. By giving them direction on what to wear to work, they clearly understand what type of impression the company puts out to its clients and potential customers.

Some employers struggle with employees who believe they have the right to dress and groom in a way that represents their personality. This is true - outside of the employer's business. However, businesses have rights to establish a dress code that aligns with their company and their target market. While individuals have a right to express themselves, so too do businesses. The way your employees dress sends intended or unintended messages to your clientele.

Suitable attire, along with basic politeness, cleanliness, and knowledge are a few of the most common threads within professionalism. Torn, sloppy, or ill-fitting blue jeans, in my opinion, do not convey the type of professional image I want to present to the community.

It's human nature to form instant options of others. Personal presentation affects the perception clients have of you, your business, and your team. It is important to maintain a dress code which creates a positive first impression.

Never forget, the point of a dress code and professional conduct, at all levels, is to make others comfortable, including your clients. Its implementation ensures the instant impression a business is credible, trustworthy, and reliable.
    Happy trimming,
    ~Melissa

P.S. I know this is a controversial topic. Let's talk about it. I want to hear what you think. Jump on the Learn2GroomDogs.com Facebook page and tell me your thoughts.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

I can tell you my thoughts right here on the forums. There is nothing wrong with jeans as long as they are not torn up or sloppy. I have worn jeans or shorts my entire grooming life and have never had a client tell me I look unprofessional in 30 yrs (wear a nice smock as well) . I HATE scrubs, feel like pajamas to me and some look like pajamas as well.
    Clients want this: a clean shop, clean looking groomer, and a professional groom done, and treated with respect.
    I myself, don't like to go somewhere that everyone wears the same thing..........not the Dr office or a vet clinic, or even a uniform for school children.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Holy Smokes........what year are you living in ?? I've worn nice jeans since 2008 and I'm booked out a year in advance. It is the product that you deliver that makes you a professional, not matching scrubs.
      If someone wants to wear sandals instead of tennis shoes, well let them.....I wear flippy flops all summer.....so what....I'm still booked out a year in advance.
      I don't wear dangling ear rings because I don't want a dog to rip them out, but if you want to wear them, then go ahead, and suffer any consequence that may befall you.
      Building credibility to my clients required that arrive on time, groomed their dog that they liked, and presented great customer service......not a crisp, simple but polished dress code.

Happy working for myself

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

I worked at a place that allowed bathers in back to wear jeans, but no groomers which could be seen by customers. Reason: Walmart doesn't even allow their employees to wear jeans.

Comment

Actually I worked at places that didn't allow jeans, not uncommon around here but sometimes OK for bathers, but no one upfront in public view.

Comment

Originally posted by TootsiePie View Post
            I worked at a place that allowed bathers in back to wear jeans, but no groomers which could be seen by customers. Reason: Walmart doesn't even allow their employees to wear jeans.
            Untrue in Tx, Walmart employees do wear jeans with a Walmart shirt.
            Could this be a demographic thing?

Comment

I have some family members that work Walmart and they must wear khaki's no jeans, probably regional.

Comment

Jeans can be neat and professional looking ---- but let's get real. I have yet to find a pair that allow me the freedom of movement that my yoga pants do. And I'll admit to it - my model thin days are looooooong in the past. ( would have said they were behind me but that was too on the nose ).
                I don't wear scrubs since I work in a clinic. The techs and doctors are all in scrubs and I don't want to be confused with them.

Professional to me means yoga pants, tank top and a grooming smock with closed toe shoes. Used to just wear clogs but have accepted my running shoes now. After seeing a fellow student drop shears on her sandal covered foot I would NEVER allow anything but closed toe shoes in the workplace.

It's not a matter of a different century but of the sensibilities of your clientele. My area looks askance at extremes in workplace attire. It's South Beach - but only in he clubs at night.

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyandChewiespal View Post
                  Jeans can be neat and professional looking ---- but let's get real. I have yet to find a pair that allow me the freedom of movement that my yoga pants do. And I'll admit to it - my model thin days are looooooong in the past. ( would have said they were behind me but that was too on the nose ).
                  I don't wear scrubs since I work in a clinic. The techs and doctors are all in scrubs and I don't want to be confused with them.

Professional to me means yoga pants, tank top and a grooming smock with closed toe shoes. Used to just wear clogs but have accepted my running shoes now. After seeing a fellow student drop shears on her sandal covered foot I would NEVER allow anything but closed toe shoes in the workplace.

It's not a matter of a different century but of the sensibilities of your clientele. My area looks askance at extremes in workplace attire. It's South Beach - but only in he clubs at night.
                  Never cared as much for jeans in the salon either...especially getting wet...they love to soak up moisture with all that cotton.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    Never cared as much for jeans in the salon either...especially getting wet...they love to soak up moisture with all that cotton.
                    My jeans never get wet....but tshirts sure will, therefore smock is nessary. Could be that I am short and tub is above my jean waistband, just where I want it. But no, now that I think about it.....my jeans don't get wet when bathing my horses, except the bottoms of them where I am walking in the water puddles.
                    Last edited by Cyn; 01-19-17, 05:52 PM. Reason: Added more

Comment

Have to chuckle..........I would LOVE to see a video of you guys washing a dog and GETTING YOUR PANTS WET............you need to have control of the dog and yourself with the spray nozzle. I've been grooming since 1987 and I've never had my pants wet......if I get a little water on me, its from the dog shaking and it's just spray from the waist up.

I have complete control over my movements wearing jeans.........if someone is blaming jeans for non-movement, maybe a trip to the gym is in order

Our Wal-Mart allows their workers to wear jeans, and I've never thought a thing about it.

Happy doing some push-ups

Comment

I also dislike wearing jeans on the job. I also hate the way scrubs wear. It could be that I'm a gluttonous, incompetent lard-arse who doesn't know how to wash dogs or exercise. Until now, I just thought it was personal preference and figured that what works for me might not work for others.

One thing I disallowed when I had an employee was print tees unless it was a shop logo shirt or unless it was covered by a smock. I did not disallow neat jeans even though I don't prefer them, but jeans and a print tee are too casual for me. This isn't Joe's Crab Shack or a Travis Tritt shrine. Sandals and flip flops on the job would be a total hell no for me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post
                          I also dislike wearing jeans on the job. I also hate the way scrubs wear. It could be that I'm a gluttonous, incompetent lard-arse who doesn't know how to wash dogs or exercise. Until now, I just thought it was personal preference and figured that what works for me might not work for others.

One thing I disallowed when I had an employee was print tees unless it was a shop logo shirt or unless it was covered by a smock. I did not disallow neat jeans even though I don't prefer them, but jeans and a print tee are too casual for me. This isn't Joe's Crab Shack or a Travis Tritt shrine. Sandals and flip flops on the job would be a total hell no for me as well.
                          TC you are so correct. ......what works for one may not work for a other.

Comment

I can see where MV is coming from...coming into grooming from the business/corporate world, 1st impressions are and can be crucial. But with that being said, if you are comfy in jeans, or whatever you choose to wear, I think MV just getting across to present ourselves in a professional manner i.e. our dress, clean shops, etc. to our customers. I usually wear the grooming pants/capris as I am more comfy in those. But have worn nice jeans especially if I don't feel good and wear a smock over a t-shirt vs a grooming top on a few occasions. I too had a friend drop her shears on her foot as she was wearing flip-flops, so closed toes and shoes for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post

Well groomers, let's not stick our nose up at Joe's Crab Shack too fast........revenues for the second quarter of 2016 was 108.4 million.....not as much as the past year, but not too shabby either.

Nothing wrong with wearing flippy flops, letting your little toe'sies breath. since your little toe'sies are under the grooming table, falling scissors will usually miss them :>)

AND what's so wrong with printed Tee's ?? Every t-shirt I own has printed dogs on them.

I say, lighten up on your staff, and pay particular attention to grooming abilities and customer service. A happy employee results in a happy salon and it usually results in a more willingness to learn.

Happy wearing printed t-shirts

Comment

Working...
                              X