Hair splinters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair splinters

Since I only groom cats, I don't have experience with hair splinters.
    What is a hair splinter? Why are they a problem? How do you avoid them? I am doing research for a product.
    Thank you!

They get into tiny places sometimes and hard to get out. Some fester. Some from scissoring are quite sharp ended and cut right into soft skin, tender skin. Now I use a good moisturizer body wise and I feel it keeps them from cutting their way into the skin. Again it is where they go, your eyes, and it is why I wear apron to keep them out of the breast area particularly sensitive skin area. Wood splinters are easier to see and remove, not so much with hair splinters.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Do they get in the skin in your elbow or arm too?

Comment

Originally posted by Emma123 View Post
        Thanks for the info! Do they get in the skin in your elbow or arm too?
        They get anywhere! It's why I wear double nylon when grooming, a scrub shirt and heavy duty nylon apron. I got a massive abscess once that took nearly a year to completely heal. I wear leather sneakers as well so no splinters can get through the material of my shoes. They hurt when you touch them, that's how I always know if I have one in my hands, I'll rub it against something and yowza! I mean it's not debilitating pain, but it hurts in a strange way.

Comment

Wow! I didn't realize this.
          Are some breeds more likely to result in hair splinters?

Comment

Definitely they can get anywhere but softer skin is EZ for them. The fine ones from scissor work are like razor edges. I have found to help prevent them on that soft skin putting on a body lotion actually helps stop them from cutting through. I even use a dryer hv to blow myself off several times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by 10muddypaws View Post
              They get into tiny places sometimes and hard to get out. Some fester. Some from scissoring are quite sharp ended and cut right into soft skin, tender skin. Now I use a good moisturizer body wise and I feel it keeps them from cutting their way into the skin. Again it is where they go, your eyes, and it is why I wear apron to keep them out of the breast area particularly sensitive skin area. Wood splinters are easier to see and remove, not so much with hair splinters.
              I just got one today and scrub the skin with one of those little brushes, TA DA DA, gone, thank god.

Comment

Working...
              X