Speaking of Drying technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Drying technique

I keep meaning to post this, but after reading spikeys post on the head/moisture magnet thing I thought I would go ahead. I read all the posts on how to speed up drying, and half heartedly tried some with no real difference. I do have to say though, when I actually focused and just paid more attention and elbow grease into drying off the dog with the moisture magnets in general it really sped up the drying time. I used to take one towel and kind of generally towel them off, not wanting to waste time and just get to the HV already. So recently I tried really putting some effort into drying the dog with the towels before hand. So I use one moisture magnet and really give the dog a good rub down...really putting some arm muscled into it. Then I spray them with The Stuff, which is my personal favorite, let it soak in while i clean the ears, then take new moisture magnet and give them another good rub down....I mean really good. I can't tell you how much time this really does save on the drying process! so even though I scoffed at the idea at first, thinking how much time could this really save and isn't the HV more effective than a towel....I have seen the light. I personally like the moisture magnets (or whatever they may call them) that Davis sells. I bought a bunch of pet edge's brand (they are white) and honestly, they seem kind of ****** and haven't held up...they get all fuzzy and i don't think they work as well. I still have all of the davis ones I bought 3 years ago...many have holes in them but they work great. I just ordered about 20 more from Davis.

Thanks!

Now that I think of it, I could probably pay more attentionto pre drying the dogs myself. It's kind of easy to want to just start HV right away. Thanks for the great time saving tip!

Comment

The end result of many things you do with focus will always be better. Try it elsewhere, too!

Comment

I know exactly how you feel! I had the same attitude. I squeegee first which I find really cuts down on time too. Then magnet them, then follow up with a regular towel to suck out anything I've missed. I've learned this works so well, that I am afraid that when I stick a dog in a crate with a box fan on him while I take in the next customer, or answer the phone, I'm afraid he's going to be dry when I get back. (which is good for some dogs and not good for others).
        Erin
        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

I agree about the pet edge brand not being as good, the yellow towels are much better, softer, and they seem to absorb more. I also will hold a moisture magnet in my hand and grab the dog leg and blast it- the towel absorbs some of the water that would spray off into the air and I think it makes it a little less humid in the shop, as well as dry the dog faster. Fur Elite how is Shine by the way? Have you started showing her yet?

Comment

Don't rub with that towel too hard, you will be damaging the coat as well as irritating the skin and making it harder for the coats natural oils to resurface....
            Making Central Florida Pawsitively Purrfect since 2005.

Comment

I hold a towel in my hand as I HV the dog in all areas, I find that it absorbs the water instead of going into the air or back on the dog:-)

Comment

Another thing I've found that speeds things up on double coated dogs is to use a Zoom Groom with the moisture magnet towel. Those teeth will work the towel right down to the skin and pull out a ton of water you'd otherwise miss.

Comment

poodlefluff

Poodlefluff, Shine is doing great! We have been showing, about once every other month...sometimes more. She has been regularly winning her class as of late and that was about it. However, in November she took Reserve Winners Bitch which was our first big accomplishment. I was so happy, I almost cried. She will be out of the 12-18 mo category at the end of February, and we will begin in the Open class. I am kind of thinking her class wins will be stopping for a while as she competes against more mature dogs. But, we went to a show last weekend and I must say, it was like a light switch flipped...she was showing great and she is looking really, really good if I say so myself. Thanks for asking!

Comment

I bought my towels from Walmart. I learned not to use the blue ones lol. They work great. I hardly use any regular towels now. It it is not a hairy monster I just put a towel down on the table to catch the flying water and keep them from slipping.
                    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Fur,

I used to have the same problem. I have always had a hard time focusing on something I thought was boring. I no longer find drying a dog very boring. It helps me find mats, skin problems, lumps and bumps, etc...

I also started "focusing" more on the actual HV drying, and that has helped TREMENDOUSLY as far as time efficiency. I do the towel drying first, then Moisture magnet, then wrap the head, then HV.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Funny, I didn't care for the MM from Davis. I prefer the Abzorber from Wally World. I used to lay one on Catherine's mane when she was in the Saddle and use another one to dry her pack and bracelets. The coat would already be starting to stand when I pulled it off of her mane! I use a Hanvey Hi-V Gold dryer and it has a flat nozzle. That nozzle just blows the water right out of the coat because you can get it right next to the skin without whipping a tornado or three into it. LOVE that nozzle!! Anyhow, I could get her from dripping to dry in about 15-20 minutes depending on the humidity. I blot the coat instead of rubbing, it seems to work better and not cause coat damage. And with the Abzorbers I've found the green and the purple are just so not worth bringing home!

Comment

I only have a couple MM towells, I am still in the rut of using the old fashioned ones. I like the big beach ones that I can wrap 'em up and snuggle 'em with. But I need to try to those MM more - they just seem so small. Plus when I washed them, they shrunk even smaller. Plus I stuck in a downy sheet when I dried them in the dryer and I think it made them absorb less water. Was I not supposed to use fabric softner??? Ahhhhhh!

Comment

Fabric softeners used long-term actually retard the absorbency of towels!! The MM will shrink and not absorb as much water when dried all the time I found out-the hard way lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by bow_wow_wheels View Post
                              Fabric softeners used long-term actually retard the absorbency of towels!! The MM will shrink and not absorb as much water when dried all the time I found out-the hard way lol!!
                              So am I not supposed to stick the MM in the dryer at all?? Sheesh, no wonder I wasn't impressed with them...Looks like I was doing everything wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X