first dog!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first dog!!!

I did my first dog last night!! It was my sister in laws husky. Took me about 4 hours actually, I know that is sooooo long. But they never brush her out and she is starting to molt. I think I got out all the loose fur. Then it took me 2 hours to dry her totally, I dont have an hv dryer yet so I did it w/a hand dryer. And she got sprayed by a skunk a few weeks ago and they never got the smell out really. But I thought she looked good when she was done. It stunk though because I know she isnt done molting yet so in a few weeks she will need it again. She was so good though. Until the end. But she was just sick of it. Even then all she did was whine and wiggle. I dont blame her. I gave her breaks though. And treats, those worked!!! We took pics and I will put them in here when I get them. She was so fluffy. And my sister in law was so happy. She sheds alot in the back, and she was like her back end looks awesome!! Her front did too, but her back just looked so much better than before. I just hope I got out all that fur!!!

Heavens girl, that's a lot of work. Good on you though!

If you need an inexpensive dryer for practicing grooming, that is not as powerful (or expensive) as the others, but WAY more powerful than the hand dryer you used, try the Metro dryer that looks like Snoopy's dog house. I have one and it works great! I use it on Spike all the time, much to his chagrin. You can find it at www.petedge.com under dryers, it is a white dog house with a red roof and a hose coming out of it. It's about $40. I got it cheaper on www.dog.com actually.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Way to go! I remember how great I felt when my first dog was done after 4-5 hrs! Keep up the great work, the more dogs you groom the faster you will get. Welcome to this great board, you'll learn tons of valuable info on here daily. Don't be afraid to ask away.

Comment

Wow...now that was definitely alot of work. I'm surpised you still want to groom after that experience. lol! I was wondering if you brushed out the dog first, or went right to the bath. One thing that I found works extremely well on a dog like that, if you don't have an HV to blow out the hair, is using a slicker and brushing the dog while it is soaped up. The hair just slides out of the coat. You will be amazed at the amount of hair you have to take out of the brush after each swipe, but it does do a great job and will help on the drying time. One thing you'll find (as in everything), if you have the right tools for the job it will make things so much easier.

You sound like you have a great attitude and have your first happy customer. Isn't it a great feeling to have such an accomplishment?
        don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Congratulations on your first complete groom! I bet you would have gotten it done a lot quicker with an HV, so your time without one is great. Just for future reference, birds "molt" and dogs "blow coat."

Comment

Goodness, blowdrying a Husky w/a hand dryer. I think that is one of the punishments for naughty groomers in Groomer Purgatory...lol... Joking aside it sounds like you did a great job. I know both you and the pup got a good nights sleep! Post her pict when you get it, love to see her!
            SheilaB from SC

Comment

Thank you guys!! I was actually wondering about the doghouse dryer but didnt know how well it would work, I think I will invest in one. She is such a good girl so it wasnt too bad. The bath was the bad part, but even that wasnt so bad. My sister in law just kept telling me how patient I was, lol. I tried to upload pics but they were too big, I will have to have my husband fuss with it later. He knows how to do this stuff better. I just groom 'em, lol.

Ok, I will be putting this on another post in off topic section if I can, but my sis in law and brother in law need ur prayers!!! My brother in law was in a major accident yesterday!! Just read the other post if you get a chance!!

Comment

Oh no Oh no !!! Get a H/V and charge your sister in law for it, lol. I want to cry thinking of doing a husky with a hand dryer!

Good Job doing your first dog though

Comment

Great job! You stuck with it and got it done, pat yourself on the back. As Grinch said Get a H/V and charge your sister in law for it" That's the least she can do for you in grooming her dog with a hand dryer!!!!
                  "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
                  Diane

Comment

Wow a husky with a hand dryer. I don't think I would have had the patience to do that LOL. I found my HV dryer on ebay cheap cheap, and it works great. Congrats on finishing your first groom

Comment

here is a website that you can shrink your pic on so you can post them here.
                      http://www.shrinkpictures.com/
                      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Working...
                      X