My Groomer's Helper doesn't work on big dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Groomer's Helper doesn't work on big dogs

I recently upgraded to the Groomer's Helper deluxe and don't find myself using it that often. I don't have many little dogs that are sitters. When I put it on a big that sits, it can still sit anyway. The second pair of grooming arms just don't reach high enough for goldens or standards. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Does anyone use the Deluxe kit for something besides sitters? I'd like to use it more often after spending so much on it. I do use the Regular GH on every dog I do and think it's wonderful.

Call Chuck and talk to him.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Works great on cats, but I agree talk to chuck and watch the cd again
      "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
      Nancy

Comment

You might need to move it back a little farther. And if that doesn't work, move one post all the way back toward the end of your table and run it at an angle between the back legs, if that makes sense.

Comment

Helly, my laws you come up with some good stuff! I never thought of running it through the back legs!

Tammy in Utah
          Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I have to noticed this on my big dogs. They try and sit, but it does keep them from sitting the whole way down. To me,it helps somewhat to keep them up. I have two tables,so I keep them both set up with the groomers helper. One for drying and one for finishing.

Comment

I've had a problem with it on big dogs since day one. We also have the deluxe and never use it. I am actually planning on asking my boss if I can by the other half of it for my shop to use as a regular G/H.

Comment

Good Idea

I don't groom many big dogs, but between the legs is a great idea.
                I purchased the GH, the deluxe after I had only groomed a few dogs, so I'm not sure if I could groom without it since I'm so use to it.
                It has been worth every penny and I know I would have been bitten even by the little ones had I not had it.
                Tzugroomer

Comment

It does keep my big dogs in a half sit position, which helps. I'm definitely going to try the between the legs thing though. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Reader, I do use mine for those other than sitters- for the antsy dancey dogs that like to nervously pace (with their back legs) back and forth from one side of the table to the other. Often, using the extra part for the back end helps to stabilize and thus calm them a bit.

I agree, though- I've sometimes needed to support larger dogs and just can't get the thing quite high enough.
                    The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Comment

Groomers helper

I purchased the groomers helper for each of the stations in my salon and myself and the groomers HATED it. I know everyone loves them, I must have been doing something wrong but I just didn't feel as though I was any safer than with the LIP system.

Comment

The groomers "hated" it because they probably were not used to having it. It's hard to get used to something that is different, especially when it causes you to have to WORK differently. That is sad because I have never been bitten on the grooming table. I've had many try though, and the other day a shar pei mix wanted to take my face off. Naughty Indiana! He's an otherwise good boy! Thank the good Lord for the Groomers Helper or that would have been either a mess, or I would have had to have him held down by the vet techs, but I pride myself on being able to clip the nails myself.

Tammy in Utah
                        Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

As someone who is fairley new to the GH I am in a love it/hate it stage. I think what irritates me the most is the thick loop when I am working on little guys. It sometimes seems like I spend more time readjusting the loop so I can clip around it than anything. I love it on my bigger guys though. It has saved me also from some potentially nasty bites! I have also been able to get this bugger of a Scotties nails w/it and I could never get them before! If I could have one wish it would be that Chuck would develop another loop in the same style, but thinner!
                          I am also going to look into getting a taller grooming arm this spring (before the OAY's start flooding in). Like someone else mentioned I sometimes have a problem w/the arm not being tall enought for the dog but that is not the GH's fault!
                          SheilaB from SC

Comment

I can help!

Dear Reader,

The delux set has 24" arms and can reach up to 20"" below the dogs belly.
                            We put it under their bellies not over them. They might try and sit but they cannot go down so they do not try. We have never had a request for larger ones but they can be made very easily.

We do Goldens at our shop with no problem. However any higher then 20" with 3/4" arms would need larger and thicker arms and stronger clamps or they will bend and be a possible hazzard.

Your current upgrade has 3/4" arms and clamps that are 24" high. We can make you 1" arms and 1" solid steel double screw clamps from PetLift that go up to 36" if you would like. I will also exchange your upgrade for the larger set.

The 1" X 36" arm and clamp set would cost $200.00 plus shipping. We will exchange your arm and clamp set and give you a credit depending what you paid for your set toward the new set if you would like. This goes for anyone else who would like a larger set. Please call me at 1-866-987-2426.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Comment

I can help!

Dear SheilaB,

I understand your frustration.

Try putting the loop around the body or over one shoulder under one leg while grooming around the neck. Or use your favorite thin loop just put a split ring (key ring) on it so you can attach the GH to it.

Making a thinner loop involves big $$ a new cam lock (molds) a new quick release, setting up a new sewing machine etc. We try and use a loop that will accomodate all size dogs and cats.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X