what's wrong with this poodle head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's wrong with this poodle head?

I've groomed this standard poodle 3 times now, and everytime the woman says that I don't do the topknot right, that it doesn't look like the poodles she's seen. I thought maybe she was thinking of a puppy head, but she said no. She couldn't tell me what was wrong, just that it looked wrong. I don't know what to do. I know there is not an inverted V between the eyes, I messed that up (her eyes seem far apart), and maybe I didn't make the definition between the topknot and ears defined enough. I know its not perfect, but I really don't think anyone would say it doesn't look like a poodle. HELP!
    Attached Files
    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Don't cha just love the client who reads a standard book on a breed and they all of a sudden they are a professional groomer?? Grr. I think that topknot looks great...

Comment

Personally, I think it is beautiful.

Comment

It's hard to tell in a picture of a black dog, but... Perhaps the topknot hair leading back from the corner of the eyes should be scissored shorter? Could your client want the sides of the topknot more defined instead of rounded? An inverted "v" would definitely help, but you already know that. Profile pictures would also be helpful... Maybe the customer doesn't like the way the topknot ties in at the neck? It's unfortunate (s)he is just not able to point out a general SOMETHING to give you a clue! Personally, I think it looks like a nicely balanced, cute pet Poodle topknot. Nice trailer, and good work!

Comment

The PD looks good for me, and don't worry about v line, I know we can also do a - line between eyes. A v line will make the eyes look deeped and give the dog a smarter look, just don't clip higher than the line between the eyes ... that was what I learn in school. Maybe she want to have a taller top? Maybe she want the top and the ears totally separated? Or maybe the dog just doesn't have the right skull?

Comment

i think it looks really nice and proportioned. the only thing i can think of is maybe she wanted it to be higher. a higher topknot. but she ought to be able to articulate that if thats the problem. i think the dogg looks sweet/

Comment

I think the poodle looks adorable just the way it is. Good job.

Comment

I think the top knot looks nice.. The only think I can see is maybe she would want it a little taller. I know there are different styles of topknots also. Maybe she has seen a different style that she liked. Like that ugly mushroom cap looking type. Id get specific ideas from her about what doesnt look right

Oh and Ive never seen a bow in the middle of the topknot like that!!! I love it! Im going to try it!

Comment

Hi! I'm new to the board but felt compelled to reply. I don't see anything wrong with your scissoring, at all. Every groomer seems to have their individual style. For example, I can whip out perfectly round heads and faces all day, but square seems to take more effort for me.

I would recommend asking your client to find a picture of what she has in mind to take the guess work out of it. It will also express your interest in continued client satisfaction.

Good luck with that situation.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I'll keep working on her (or she'll keep working me over, lol!). She's reallyl thrown me for a loop.

Oh, and beyondblessed...that avatar is absolutely adorable. Could you tell more about that cute little furbaby?
                    don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

Looks good to me too. Like others mentioned, maybe she wants it higher on top?

Comment

Personally, I think it needs to be taller and more squared than rounded. Also, did you blend down the neck or did you do it like you would a mini poodle? I would move the bow on back to the middle of the topknot myself, it kinda looks stuck between her eyes, but that might just be the camera angle? I usually bow them on top of each ear..after all that scissoring, its a shame to cover it up lol she is a pretty girl too!

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondBlessed View Post
                          Hi! I'm new to the board but felt compelled to reply. I don't see anything wrong with your scissoring, at all. Every groomer seems to have their individual style. For example, I can whip out perfectly round heads and faces all day, but square seems to take more effort for me.

I would recommend asking your client to find a picture of what she has in mind to take the guess work out of it. It will also express your interest in continued client satisfaction.

Good luck with that situation.
                          Glad you replied. Great idea to ask her to bring a pic.
                          If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

You're so sweet for asking.....that's my little "Savannah" at 10 weeks.

She's a year old now, all 5 pounds of her, half Chinese Crested and half Papillon.

Yep, that's my girl....

Comment

Ask her to bring a pic, I like so much better when I can work from a picture. I think your topknot looks beautiful.

Comment

Working...
                              X