Keep his top knot short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep his top knot short

Had a new poodle client today. This little girl must have been 6 months since her last grooming, she was soooo long, except for her top knot.
    She wanted a clean feet and face, short body and short top knot. I used a #5 on her body. I didn't have any choice with her top knot the owner had cut above the eyes and half way back, because they couldn't see her eyes anymore. GRRRRRRR I couldn't even make it look nice, they had messed it up soooo much. Why can't these people just leave things alone? Why not just put a rubberband in its hair, pull the hair out of its eyes. Better yet better it in on a regular basis.
    Thanks for listening.
    "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
    Diane

I am very familiar w/the head chop you are describing. It drives me NUTS!!! There is no way to hide it or "fix" it. Like you, I wonder why they can't just pull it up, or at least not cut it to the skin!!
    SheilaB from SC

Comment

I just..."love" it when mommy and daddy "help" with the grooming...
      Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Of course when they say they want the top knot short they have already decided how short they want it. I don't have to decide, it's been decided for me. lol

I have gotten after a couple of other clients that use to "help" the dog see, now the pull it up and I have something to work with. Why can't they all be that way?
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

I have one poodle customer that has me use a #5 blade on the topnot, yup, it's short and that's the way they like it....it does look better than the poodle that gets a #10 blade up to the eye socket then about a #4 blade for a topnot.

Comment

I just had the same thing yesterday with a maltese that was scalped.
            That was fun to correct.

Comment

Originally posted by irish23 View Post
              I just had the same thing yesterday with a maltese that was scalped.
              That was fun to correct.
              Don't you mean "try" to correct...lol....or did you find the fabled magic wand we groomers are always talking about.
              SheilaB from SC

Comment

I have a customer like that and I hear the same thing each time she comes in "short short, no bows, no fu fu spray short on the head shave feet and face etc etc." takes her 20 minutes to get out the door so I can get started.
                "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                Nancy

Comment

Like I've told my boss and I will do this when I start my own shop. There should be an extra charge for the "fix-it" dogs. I only ever do 1 "fix-it" where I work. The lady does the hair cut she wants at home. It never turns out right so she brings it to me to fix it. Just a bath and make him even, but don't make the legnth shorter, just trim off the long spots, is what she always tells me. Most places would just charge a bath and trim price. Not my boss, he charges for a full groom... LOL.... So she's not saving any money. Plus she has those clippers that cost like $20 and she does such a horrible job. It looks like she plays with the lever that changes the blade length while shaving the dog. He'll be short like a #10 and then long where she missed him completely. She wants me to leave him 1/4 of an inch, because that's the length she is trying to get the clipper to cut at. I never make this dog look good because of the scalped sections.
                  Becky

Comment

Ah, the wonderful "magic wand" My bather laughs and asks me all the time on certain dogs if I am going to use "the wand".
                    I had a shih the other day with no hair on its head because it "couldnt see"
                    Love the home jobs! )

Comment

I had a poodle just like that the other day, only it gets done every 4 weeks. The dog got food in the front of her topknot, the owner couldn't get it out so decided to cut it out. The dog's topknot went at a 45 degree angle toward the back. I had to cut it short to get it back on target. You know, even before I had any training in grooming, I know I wouldn't have cut the hair some of these people do.
                      don't find yourself up a creek without a poodle.

Comment

I can't stand when I have a regular customer come in and I say, "Same as usual?" and they proceed to tell me what they want, and it's the same thing. It just worries me, cause if it's the same thing, why tell me? Am I not doing what they want so they're trying to explain it again? Instead, just say, no, can we change this from the last time.
                        Erin
                        No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Originally posted by Plexi View Post
                          I have one poodle customer that has me use a #5 blade on the topnot, yup, it's short and that's the way they like it....it does look better than the poodle that gets a #10 blade up to the eye socket then about a #4 blade for a topnot.
                          hehe I have a couple of poodles that I have to take a seven or ten to their top knot...blah
                          Scratch a dog and you'll find a permanent job. ~Franklin P. Jones

Comment

Originally posted by ejmj30 View Post
                            I can't stand when I have a regular customer come in and I say, "Same as usual?" and they proceed to tell me what they want, and it's the same thing. It just worries me, cause if it's the same thing, why tell me? Am I not doing what they want so they're trying to explain it again? Instead, just say, no, can we change this from the last time.
                            Oh, Erin, I feel EXACTLY the same way! This happens ALL the time, too!

Owner: "A little shorter, and the face round but not too short."

Tammy: "You mean, like last time?"

Owner: "Yes! Just like last time!"

For cryin' out loud, just say it. LOL

Now I sit and wonder "Was there something wrong with 'last time'?"

Tammy in Utah
                            Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

EGG-zactly!!! (not sure if there's a rolling eyes smiley, but imagine it here)
                              Erin
                              No Fur, No Paws, No Service.

Comment

Working...
                              X