More vinegar questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More vinegar questions!

My coworkers and I have been having a dispute over how to use vinegar. I shampoo, rinse, cream rinse, then use the vinegar rinse and will lightly rinse that off. My coworkers say the cream rinse should come last. Who is right? Also, for those of you that use vinegar do you use it on dogs w/bad skin? If you do use it do you totally rinse or leave it on? Even on dogs and cats w/healthy skin do you thoroughly rinse, lightly rinse or don't rinse at all? Apple Cider vs White, do you notice a difference? I like to use the Apple Cider but it is more expensive and to be honest I don't see a difference, but from what I understand the AC is better than the White. Thanks for the input.
    SheilaB from SC

Depends on what I want it to do. If I'm using it as a clarifying rinse I'll rinse it off to rinse away the residue I'm trying to remove. If I'm using it as a 'vinegar rinse' I leave it on. I also prefer AC but the white will do in a pinch. I get mine at Bargains on Hwy 8 just outside of Pelzer but I bet that place on the By-Pass would have it, too. It's pretty cheap there lol!

Comment

I have a gallon in my trailer, but never use it.
      If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Vinegar Rinse

I have used vinegar rinses on my own dogs, but not in a grooming shop. After rinsing my dog (I usually don't use a conditioner first with the vinegar rinse because the vinegar rinse removes buildup and I feel like it may strip the conditioner away. I could be wrong about that, just my thought) A final vinegar rinse will really help a dogs coat to shine. What I do is mix 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar or white vinegar with 3 cups warm water and then rinse it over my dogs coat. I think that the apple cidar vinegar smells better, but I feel that they both work. Also I avoid rinsing the face so that vinegar doesn't get into the eyes. Like SheilaB I also lightly rinse the vinegar rinse off, but not all the way. I don't add conditioner on thop of it, but that was because my dogs turned out really nice without an added conditioner. I luv using everything natural. I use vinegar for lots of home cleaning. Even though vinegar is natural and safe, I'm thinking that I won't use it on my grooming client dogs just for liability reasons. I've had lots of business experience and I feel it may be the best choice for me to stick with all natural comercial products for business reasons. But vinegar is sooo useful. Vinegar can also be diluted and srayed on coats as a natural coat sheen as well as being used for flea control. It's great.

Comment

White vinegar makes a black dog reeeel shiney. Deodorizes, cuts soap. Poor water flo in van? gets soap out. Is drying. Listering good deodorant anti-biotic. Vinegar stings like crazy if open skin ike flea bites. Listerine? Don't know...ask the dog. Either way. Conditioner after vinegar insures better smell,then use cologne,unless no from client. AH rainy day off-never got to the movies....here most of day. Oh well Sunday afternoon, maybe...Listerine.My dogs didn't get baths again today...rain. Will use Listerine on mine next bath coming up.Works great.

Comment

It has become my policy to not use anything on my clients' dogs that isn't labeled for use on dogs, no matter how effective I think it is or might be. I can't imagine trying to explain to a judge that I sprayed a fabric softener on a dog's coat just so it dried faster and would smell pretty... or how well D___ dish soap kills fleas on a dog... or the process of using a hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, dish soap mixture to get rid of skunky smells... when getting sued by a client for a problem with their dog which may have been brought on by using a product or product(s) off label!

Comment

My only issue with the vinegar rinse is that it wouldn't smell very nice when the dog is finished. My dogs shine with the shampoos I use, but I would like to have it around for other uses on the dog's hair, but I don't want them to smell like vinegar, I want the owner to smell that clean freshly shampoo'd smell.

Tammy in Utah
              Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

I only use a couple of Tablespoons of vinegar to a gallon of water. There is no vinegar smell, but sure does get the shampoo residue out. I, don't use the vinegar rinse near the face or any open sores. I use it as a preliminary rinse, not a final rinse. Also, I don't use it on any dog with skin issues or allergies.

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                  My only issue with the vinegar rinse is that it wouldn't smell very nice when the dog is finished. My dogs shine with the shampoos I use, but I would like to have it around for other uses on the dog's hair, but I don't want them to smell like vinegar, I want the owner to smell that clean freshly shampoo'd smell.

Tammy in Utah
                  I agree with Tammy, I would not want my dogs smelling like a pickle
                  "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
                  Nancy

Comment

I use one cup of vinegar to a gallon of warm water as a clarifying rinse. Then rinse with plain water. No, they do not smell like a pickle when they dry.

I am not going to worry about being sued because I used Dawn, or vinegar, or the baking soda/peroxide mixture to remove skunk smell. I can easily provide evidence that Dawn is the ONLY soap used to wash birds and other wildlife after an oil spill. I can provide statements from a plethora of veterinarians and chemists that vinegar and the skunk treatment are safe and effective for use in animals. There are many things we use that aren't specifically labled for how we use them. Even water doesn't come with a lable saying it's safe to use on animals.

Common sense, people. Common sense. If vineage is safe to drink, it's safe to apply to the skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Helly View Post
                      I use one cup of vinegar to a gallon of warm water as a clarifying rinse. Then rinse with plain water. No, they do not smell like a pickle when they dry.
                      Helly, does the vinegar change the scent at all? You know what I mean, you want the dog to come out with that "fresh" scent, and even if the dog doesn't smell like a pickle (LOL, that's funny all), would it take any scent away or neutralize it at all? I've never used a vinegar rinse.

Tammy in Utah
                      Groomers Helper Affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by SpikeyTheYorkie View Post
                        Helly, does the vinegar change the scent at all? You know what I mean, you want the dog to come out with that "fresh" scent, and even if the dog doesn't smell like a pickle (LOL, that's funny all), would it take any scent away or neutralize it at all? I've never used a vinegar rinse.

Tammy in Utah
                        Well, I guess you could say it leaves the dog smelling like nothing. It doesn't add any scent, but it strips all the rancid coat oil, yeasty coat funk. If you want, add a light cologne or use conditioner with a light, clean scent.

Comment

I buy a gallon of vinegar from Sam's club, I find that it is cheaper there.

Comment

i use vinagar in the first wash (with the hydrosurge).....like if i have a greasy golden, cocker, whatever...i wash the dog with the soap first, then add vinagar and wash some more(i think it helps cut the oils in the coat)..then i drain the tub and do a second wash with Best Shot or what ever and if i were using conditioner, i would do it at this point. i use 50% white and 50% apple cider vinagar.

Comment

Common sense would indicate that water wouldn't need a label for use on animals, Helly. The fact that Dawn is used on wildlife in oil spills isn't the same as it being used in lieu of specific products labeled for killing pests on pets and the same can be said of the other products being used off-label that have alternatives intended for use on pets. *Also, Helly, you can injest and be exposed to many harmful/deadly substances and chemicals in some quantities without effect, but even injesting too much water can be deadly. Even so, I was only stating my own preference not to use products off label on pets especially in a professional setting and in the case of Dawn, below is a link to more information on only one reason behind my preference:

http://www.yourlawyer.com/topics/overview/triclosan
                              Last edited by pamperedpups; 01-21-07, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X