Worse nails ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse nails ever

I actually sent a new customer off to the vet rather than groom the pet, for now. Every nail was practically a full circle heading back to the pads. It was a beagle mix so there is no coat issues other than filth and smell. But it's just not worth the time it is going to take to do those nails, likely bleed, and then be a target for that as I don't know what this newbie is like. Looked like one of those where the vet may have to do several that will bleed as the quick was way out there. OK rant done.

Poor dog ,but good for you for knowing when to say no .

I sent a cat client to the vet to get it'd nails done as they were ingrown and clearly infected (sticky smelly pus) the vet had a bit of a moan saying g why didn't I do it . I said they are clearly infected.I am not a vet. If I remove them the cat will have multiple open wounds on its feet. The vet then apologized and commended me for not doing them

Comment

Unless you groom at a vet clinic, the chances of this client, who has a history of neglecting this dog, probably won't make the effort to schedule an appointment with the vet....since Fluffy doesn't seem to be on the top of their list, at any given time. I probably would have tried to cut the nails, after notifying the owners of the possibility of bleeding. Did you reschedule the dog for a future bath ?

Happy having some Quik Stop

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
        Unless you groom at a vet clinic, the chances of this client, who has a history of neglecting this dog, probably won't make the effort to schedule an appointment with the vet....since Fluffy doesn't seem to be on the top of their list, at any given time. I probably would have tried to cut the nails, after notifying the owners of the possibility of bleeding. Did you reschedule the dog for a future bath ?

Happy having some Quik Stop

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
        I totally agree with Dolly on this one. I would have definitely trimmed this dogs nails...quick stop or silver sticks would stop any bleeding (heck they may have had short quicks, just because the nail is long dosent always mean quicks are). This poor dog most likely went right back home to suffer some more with the in grown nails. The way most vet clinics are ran (at least in this part of the world ) this dog would have had to had evey vaccine known to man and a office visit on top on that with a nail trim.........lots of money that a lot of pet owners don't have.
        Of course this is JMHO.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I agree with Dolly and Cyn as well. I recently had a Corgi whose nails were bent out to the sides over an inch each. I did the nails to the best of my ability, and then guilted the owners into letting me do them again 3 weeks later. They are normal now, without the expensive vet bill. They're now on my regular schedule. I really wish I could remember to take pictures of these things as proof....

Comment

In school, when I was afraid to cut a dog's long curly nails for fear of hurting it, my teacher said, "well what's the alternative". I thought that made sense. You don't have to be perfect on unkempt nails just make them better IMO.

Comment

About a month ago I had a pug who used to be a very regular customer come in for a bath. He hadn't been in in forever and I did not call them or anything. Now I wish I had. The owner said his nails were bad. He came in with curled nails and several totally ingrown and infected. In the heat (or shock) of the moment and with no thought about making him wait another minute, I cut them and pulled the points out of his flesh. It was gross ---and maybe should have been done by a vet, but finances were clearly an issue with the family and well, done is done. Hydrogen peroxide and neosporin and a more comfortable doggie. Not my official job.........but I'd do it again. He was such a booger to handle before, but licked me to death after that.

Comment

I probably would have done them, but I have seen them embedded into paws and send those to vets. However, if you didn't feel up to it, nothing wrong at all in your decision.

Comment

I would have likely done the nails, but I think it's totally fine to find your own boundaries and establish a comfort zone and not do anything that crosses that threshold.

Comment

Sometimes those ridiculously long nails can go very short without hitting the quick, so I'd have probably tried. If the quicks had grown out too far then I may have sent them to the vet (if they wanted them short right then). Otherwise I'd probably get that dog in every 1-2 weeks, and advise lots of walking on concrete until they receded. I like to explain to clients that dogs are digitigrades, so long nails are not only painful, but can deform the foot (I have a laminated infographic made up for this). That usually changes their nail schedule into something more frequent.

Comment

problem is if they let them grow that long how do you get them to get in more frequently. Sure we try but how likely unless it was a new dog maybe they just got?

Comment

Working...
                      X