Words of advice for newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words of advice for newbies

My daughter asked me today if I could only give ONE piece of advice to people thinking about being a groomer. ONE? Give me a break. Well for her I gave it some thought and played by the rules. I came up with patience, if you don't have extreme patience along with love for the animals, don't become a groomer. We all know there are dogs that challenge us but it is not their fault, and we cannot please all of them, but if we don't have patience we can become a problem. What do you think?

yes, well said. If I think of taking my own dog to a groomer, I would want patience, kindness, sensitivity...the basics before even thinking of the quality of the groom.

Comment

Go into the profession knowing that there is a small percentage of people out there that are living "on the edge" and no matter how good you groom Fluffy, they will scream to high heaven that you "ruined" his coat, or better yet, "put Fluffy in an emotional downward tailspin... for life"........and will want the groom for free. So while you need to be kind, sensitive and patient with the pets, you need to be strong, tough, determined that these 2-legged Fluffy's pay their bill and are not rescheduled for future appointments.

Happy loving grooming Fluffy

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Well thought out. Patience before anything. Then a sense of humour. Wonder if there is a qualifying test for that?

Comment

Always keep an open mind on learning how to be a better groomer, more skilled and more understanding. Too many groomers get enough knowledge to groom enough to get their paycheck, and lose interest in learning more. Don't over step your bounds of skills and experience taking on grooms that are challenging as you learn without help. If you face the truth, you will always be learning in this trade and that is also what makes it my favorite.

Comment

I agree with patience for both the people and the pets. You are not always going to like what you see come in, and it's not the dog's fault, just be there for the pets if appropriate for you to groom.

Comment

Originally posted by 4them View Post
              Always keep an open mind on learning how to be a better groomer, more skilled and more understanding. Too many groomers get enough knowledge to groom enough to get their paycheck, and lose interest in learning more. Don't over step your bounds of skills and experience taking on grooms that are challenging as you learn without help. If you face the truth, you will always be learning in this trade and that is also what makes it my favorite.
              I noticed that too. There really is a division of all groomers to a great extent. Those that learn just enough to call themselves groomers and earn their incomes, and those that are always learning reinvesting in their skills. I think the same is true of the hairstyling industry.

Comment

Yes!! Well said!!! If a dog is trying, put the dog away for a few, take a little break.

Funny.. no ironically, when my stepmother was in her last couple of years with Alzheimer's, she was brutal.. just brutal to handle. Mean, violent. We were trying to get the right combo of meds so my dad could get some sleep at night.. not for him lol, but for her. And my dad said.. "aw it's like trying to explain math to a dog." And I've often thought about that when I have a difficult dog on my table.. yeah it's like trying to explain math to a dog.

Here's to patience!
                Debbie
                There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Working...
                X