Do you Talk to Dogs While Grooming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you Talk to Dogs While Grooming?

While grooming dogs, what stuff do you say instead of just 1 sentence? I only say good girl or boy

All the time, lol

Comment

With some of the more whiney dogs I feel like I have a full conversation with them just to drown out that high pitched whine

Comment

All the time, and somehow I find myself doing it more often with the deaf ones... Just random things, about the level I would for a toddler. I also go a little into the melodrama if I'm holding a dog that's throwing a tantrum for nails "Oh no, it's the WORST thing that's EVER happened to a dog in the history of FOREVER!" Sometimes it distracts them and sometimes it just gives me something else to listen to

Comment

I talk to everything while grooming. So much so, that I find myself looking at my scissors and saying "Don't worry, stay, I'll be right back." When I put them on my table. I do the same thing when I'm cooking or doing other tasks.

Comment

Talk? Sure. Sing? You bet.

Comment

What things should I say other than good boy or good girl if they're nervous when I'm scissoring their face? This new place told me I need to talk to dogs more

Comment

This will sound a bit daft but talk the pet through the groom something like " right now I've gotta lift your foot up so I can trim your pads because you don't want nasty mats between your toes now do you" or " well I need to get these Knott's out from your feet it will make you feel better "
                Those are the kinda things I say along with praise when its needed

Comment

Marsh is right on, yet it is going to be HOW you say it as well. The tone is so important. So you could say nonsense but if it is kind, relaxing, soft tone or just right in the middle and not harsh, they appreciate it.

Comment

Yes, Marsh. Dogs can communicate by visualization, so when you say, "I need to get these mats out of your pads so you will feel better", and you visualize, they can get that. I talk to them all the time-whether they can hear me or not. If someone evesdropped on our 'conversation', they'd probably put me in a straight jacket!
                    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Oh yeah ! Completely forgot about tone of voice and also pitch ! A soft low spoken conversation helps to keep both you and the pet chilled out. Its been a long day for me today so my brains s bit mushy.

Comment

"Hi, I'll be your groomer for today."
                        "Hey, what do you do that you get all matted on your shoulders."
                        "I think you should tell your mom to brush your teeth more."
                        "Do you think your ears would look better shaved? Would your mom mind?"
                        "I need to do your other side, so if you could turn arouuunnddd..... Bright eyes, every now and then I fall apart, and I need you now, tonight. And I need you more-than-eva."

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                          "Hi, I'll be your groomer for today."
                          "Hey, what do you do that you get all matted on your shoulders."
                          "I think you should tell your mom to brush your teeth more."
                          "Do you think your ears would look better shaved? Would your mom mind?"
                          "I need to do your other side, so if you could turn arouuunnddd..... Bright eyes, every now and then I fall apart, and I need you now, tonight. And I need you more-than-eva."
                          Made me smile Moo!
                          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Made me LOL Moo!!!

Comment

That is so me, too, Moo. People get annoyed when so many phrases trigger a song lyric, so...........poor doggies are a captive audience. I swear sometimes they roll their eyes at me.

Comment

Working...
                              X