Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I work for a groomer who's abuses dogs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I work for a groomer who's abuses dogs!

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I really need some advice from other groomers. Hitting, screaming at, pushing around fearful dogs, shock collars on barking dogs, designated objects used for scaring dogs into being quiet..
    I am making good money here as a bath and nails groomer and I'm supposed to be learning haircuts. I am afraid to leave this job for a few reasons. The shop in within a boarding kennel. The kennel owner has had multiple talks with the grooming manager about the things I have seen them do. They have stopped putting shock collars on dogs(as far as I know. I only work 5 days a week) and other things have lessened greatly. The groomers are now upset with me because I talked to the owner and stopped some of the abuse (or as they called it "teaching"). I don't care about that, but it hasn't totally stopped, and a couple groomers have began to show frustration with me if I have a dog in the room who is making noise. I will not make enough money to support myself if I started working at another shop as a bather, as most bather are only bathers, and I don't have enough knowledge or experience with haircuts to apply as a groomer.
    I want to leave this job, but I know that would not stop the abuse, and could make it worse. I feel as though these dogs need me here. I fear for what would happen to them if I left, especially the large fearful and anxious dogs I often do.
    I don't know what to do at this point. I will have to talk to the kennel owner again but I'm not sure what that will achieve as the groomers seem very set in their ways.
    Any advice?
    (Sorry for any typos)

You said that things have improved after you talked to the kennel owner. That's great.
    You're making things better. Sounds like the kennel owner would prefer to have the dogs treated better too.

Comment

I talked to the kennel owner again today and he said he will have another talk with the grooming manager tomorrow, but he thinks he was pretty clear the last time, so he doesn't understand why this is still an issue. I'm a very non confrontational and quiet person so I'm afraid of the other groomers becoming resentful of me and treating me badly, though I would prefer that over having to see dogs being mistreated. The kennel owner made it clear to me that hitting, screaming, and pushing dogs around will not be tolerated and he is glad I brought it to his attention again. He also stated that I'm an important part of the grooming team(I do most of the bath brush and nail dogs, many of which are large, anxious and difficult to work on). Hopefully we will see more change now. I just wish the other groomers understood that the dogs are having a hard time, not trying to give them a hard time. :/

Comment

Sounds like you and the owner are on the same page. Really, that's all that matters.
        Are you trying to "grab defeat from the jaws of victory"? You are winning! The dogs are getting better treatment. You are being recognized for your value. Yay!

Comment

If the other groomers are treating dogs in this manner then they need to have the shock collar applied to there throat for some behavior correction

Comment

Sometimes if you are uncomfortable it may be better to find a new place to work. It is a bummer that you have to worry about it. Hopefully things change. I have worked in the same situation and ended up opening my own shop. I worked at a kennel woth a groom shop attatched. I didnt have issues with the groomers more woth the owner slash staff of the kennel. I understand your situation is different.

Comment

You're right, I am making a difference for the dogs. I just need to keep standing up for them and accept that the other groomers are probably going to resent me more for it. I think it's just a very hard thing for me to do with social anxiety and how passionate I am about treating animals with kindness. I get very nervous and emotional when it comes to any confrontation with the other groomers about the topic. I just have to keep using my voice, no matter how hard it is!

Comment

Maybe they should start a live video feed. That will make those groomers accountable to the public. I've seen one salon that had this. It's a tad choppy so you're not giving away grooming instruction, but it's enough to keep an eye on things. I liked that everything could be seen but not heard. You could see groomer bathing and from the side drying ( but not the dog- it was through a door way, but enough to know if they are being handled ruff).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you tried taking to the groomers personally. I know you said you were quiet and no confrontational but you might get more action talking to them directly rather than going above them. Even if you write a letter rather than do it face to face. Some groomers are "old school" and although their actions are not appropriate they don't mean to cause harm. I agree that they shouldn't be rough but being direct with them may cause less resentment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you are doing the right thing, by going to the owner. It's not your job to talk to them directly. Itza's idea is FABULOUS! A live feed would make them shape up I'll bet.

You say you work for a groomer, but then mention multiple groomers, but then say the kennel owner is the boss. So I'm a little confused on that.

Either way, I'm glad you are a voice for those that don't have one.

Comment

Well done and thank you for standing up for those dogs. I know its not easy ( hubby suffers badly with anxiety) so what you are doing and accomplishing is even more amazing !
                      I'm glad your senior manager is listening and taking action . keep reporting it. And as itza suggested, suggest cameras in the salon to record what's happening .

Don't give up ! You are an amazing groomer doing a wonderful thing and I wish more groomers would find there voice when they see such abuse and that more managers listen ! ( worked in a place like yours but manager refused to listen as the other groomer and manager were best friends outside of work)

Comment

Hello, Throwaway. Obviously you are very upset and are reaching out for help. I have some questions. How long have the other groomers worked for this company? How long have you worked there? How long has the current manager been there? Has anyone else complained? You say you are 'supposed' to be learning to do haircuts. Who is teaching you? I'm also curious about your name...

Comment

I hope the owner has taken a very proactive response by now because that is who this will fall onto. There should have been an immediate staff meeting IMO once you raised this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by S'wheatie View Post
                            Hello, Throwaway. Obviously you are very upset and are reaching out for help. I have some questions. How long have the other groomers worked for this company? How long have you worked there? How long has the current manager been there? Has anyone else complained? You say you are 'supposed' to be learning to do haircuts. Who is teaching you? I'm also curious about your name...
                            Well... S'wheatie.. I guess we could ask you the same! What's your name??
                            Debbie
                            There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by daesue View Post
                              Well... S'wheatie.. I guess we could ask you the same! What's your name??
                              LMAO!!!!!
                              Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                              X