X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groomer's Scaling Teeth Leaves a Problem

http://www.readingeagle.com/life/art...st-be-polished

Vet Opinion......

Dear Daisy Dog: My dog Rusty goes to the groomer every six weeks for a bath, trim and pedicure. His groomer recently added tooth scraping to her services, which I'm sure I could do myself to save money. Can you give me some tips?

Daisy responds: Scraping the teeth, called dental scaling, removes the visible tartar, or calculus. However, it does not remove plaque, the invisible bacterial film that causes painful gingivitis and periodontal disease, which, left untreated, progresses to tooth loss. Plaque can be removed only by polishing or twice-daily brushing. Scaling pets' teeth without polishing them is harmful for another reason: It roughens the enamel, making it easier for plaque and calculus to stick to the tooth. Polishing smooths the enamel, minimizing this problem.

Many states' laws stipulate that only licensed veterinary professionals may perform pet dental services, including scaling and polishing. So my advice is to leave the dental work to your veterinarian, who also can radiograph Rusty's mouth to identify tooth root abscesses and other hidden causes of mouth pain. February is National Pet Dental Health Month, a good time to have your veterinarian provide Rusty's dental care.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

We cannot scale teeth here, well without risking a vet coming down on us. Law is sort of unclear but it is dangerous. If you loosen decay into blood system reaction can be serious. We don't even brush but will we do take a look for problems or smell for problems and give them a light reminder to get the teeth checked (we don't say cleaned).

Comment

Scaling teeth will get you arrested and fined for practicing veterinary medicine without a license. I will brush teeth but only if the owners do it on a regular basis at home as well. Otherwise I tell them what they're just throwing money down the drain. I will recommend a dental exam or anon Anna static dental by professionals for those dogs that are in need of it.

Comment

I get frequent requests to brush teeth, which I just tell them we don't want to waste their money by brushing once every 2-6 months. I tell them to see their vet for any teeth cleaning procedures since some health issues are directly related to oral health, the same as with people, and that there may be complications that should be only addressed by a licensed vet.

Comment

About 10 years I know a dog that died from just what you are saying and they sued the groomer.

Comment

Originally posted by houla09 View Post
            I get frequent requests to brush teeth, which I just tell them we don't want to waste their money by brushing once every 2-6 months. I tell them to see their vet for any teeth cleaning procedures since some health issues are directly related to oral health, the same as with people, and that there may be complications that should be only addressed by a licensed vet.
            That's exactly what I tell, too. And usually people who ask for teeth brushing are the ones with their dog's teeth so far gone, like inflamed gums, loose teeth, solid tartar, etc., I wouldn't touch them anyways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

We definitely don't scale, it is not legal here and vets would come down on groomers doing it.

Comment

Working...
              X