Romani Clipper Vac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romani Clipper Vac help

Hi all. Just received my new toy, a clipper vac tote. Didn't get a chance to watch the instructional DVD yet, but I watched several YouTube videos on using the clipper vac.
    Those of you using a clipper vac, can you please give me some bullet point rules and tips that you figured out after using it regularly that can shorten my learning curve. I'm very anxious to get started but do not want to mess up a clip by going too short or not making the most out of it and slowing me down instead of speeding me up. Thanks for the replies.

The first thing that comes to me is don't use full suction when going with the grain. You will probably end up with a gappy, streaky mess if you use full suction. Gentle suction when clipping with the grain. For whatever reason, full suction against the grain usually works just fine. But trust me on avoiding full power with the grain. Enjoy your new toy!

Comment

What Totally Clips said, about suction. Also, I use low suction even going against the grain on dogs that have loose skin, to avoid "sucking it up", and around tuck up and sanitary area.
      Also, you will have to experiment with different coats, I notice that combs work better on some coats, and blades on others.
      Make sure you keep the blade on the skin, at correct angle, just as you would without ClipperVac - when I first started, I noticed I was almost floating the blade over the hair, without full contact with skin, and as a result the cut was uneven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. What I'm concerned with is the tuck ups and Sani. I don't want to suck up the loose skin and take a chance of cutting skin. The backs and legs I can experiment with. Heads I mostly hand scissor or use my bravura with combs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just realized that I control my suction completely from the clipper end, so when I say full suction, I mean having the flap fully closed from that end which is still not super powerful, just enough to gap up a coat. I have never closed it off from the CV end and had pretty much forgotten that option exists. When y'all were talking sucking up skin, I was like but it's not THAT powerful. I didn't consider there is a whole other way to adjust suction. I do it solely from the clipper end which was my definition of full suction. I'm glad somebody clarified that.

Comment

I've used the Clipper Vac ever since they came out (20+ yrs).... their first mobile was in a wooden box, now they are metal. I use full suction on all of my grooms, except the head. I use my Bravura for all of my santi trims, and under paws (no clipper vac). With full suction, I believe they say that the cut is one size shorter. The length is so insignificant that when I tell the client that it will be a 3/8" trim, I use full suction with my 3/8" guard/snap on comb. I also use my guards on 99.9% of all grooms, I rarely use different blade sizes, other than the #30 under the guard.

Your Tote will accommodate approximately 3 small dog grooms, or one large doodle groom before you need to empty it. Of course this varies depending on the length you are cutting off. Since all of my clients are on a regular schedule, these numbers are accurate for me.

I never thought of using a Clipper Vac as having a "learning curve". You use your clippers the same way as always, it's just got a hose and suction at the tip of the clipper. I can't imagine grooming without the Vac because it keeps your table and floor clean of hair.

Happy sucking up

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

With or against, Dolly? Do you go full suction with the grain? I don't always/never either one, though. I have preferences for different types of coats.

And I did find a bit of a learning curve and make a few adjustments. It was not just the same old thing only now with a hose. The weight and balance are different for a couple of examples. I had to adjust to the hose being, well, there in a space where nothing existed before. My clipper was heavier and had a thing on it in a space where nothing existed before. I get that it's not rocket surgery. It's been about 15 years for me with one, but I still remember. For me, it was not just the same ol' same ol' only now with an unnoticeable attachment. There was an adjustment period even if minor.

Comment

I have the vac system in my van which has variable speed have and have been using it for a few years and then got the Romani Tote for my shop almost a year ago. I was a little surprised at how much suction the Romani had and I wish it had variable speed. I am pretty sure the boss lady at Romani recommends that you use reverse clipping which I don't really do and should probably practice but I just don't. I am used to it now but I don't use it for everything ...yet...like I do my variable speed.

I also totally agree with Totally Clips on her remarks about suction.

(I use my shop vac to suction out the hair when it is full. Easier than by hand)

Comment

When I got a ClipperVac there was definitely a learning curve. I started by trying it out on days that weren't to busy. That way if I needed to fix mistakes I had time to do it.
                  I liked it on pads and bellies. That is also a good place to start trying it out on.

Ultimately, I never got used to it on bodies. I don't use it anymore for various reasons.
                  However, I have a friend that loves hers and has been using it for years.
                  I do think her grooms look a bit choppy so I guess it just depends on what your expectations are.

Comment

Wait. I reread TC's third post. I can control suction from the Clipper Vac end? I did not know that. I hope it is on the Tote I will look for switch when I go in to work. I am so happy now.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The learning curve for me would be looking at groom notes and seeing say a number 5 on the body and I did it with a metal 5 blade. Now to get the same look do I use a comb and go reverse with full suction to achieve the same thing is what I mean by learning curve.
                      Ultimately my goal is smoother finishes with less passes with a clipper so i can move on and not have to clip down a leg 6 times to get it smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by lillypeanut View Post
                        Wait. I reread TC's third post. I can control suction from the Clipper Vac end? I did not know that. I hope it is on the Tote I will look for switch when I go in to work. I am so happy now.
                        My CV was well used when I bought it about 15 years ago, so it's entirely possible that the design has changed. Mine has flaps on both the box end and the clipper end. I have a CV Mini.

Comment

Comment

Yes, there is a learning curve, like Totally Clips said, because of the added weight of the ClipperVac hose. The angle could be awkward in the beginning. I use it with Excel and Bravura, but in the beginning the Bravura with attachment was so weird I rarely used it u till I saw one of Debi Hilley videos and saw how she holds it. Now I use Bravura much more.
                            Also, I don't find it saves me that much time on small dogs, but you will love it on big dogs. Golden Retriever shavedown with ClipperVac is a breeze!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

After watching the DVD demos, there seems to be mainly reverse or against the grain clipping. I mostly do with the grain, especially drop coats like Westies where you skim off at the shoulders and rib cage to get a nice blend.

Comment

Working...
                              X