pre brushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre brushing

Just wondering if people like competition groomers or show dog groomers for example, who maybe let their dog's coat get a little behind in grooming and the dog has some mats, if they brush before or after the bath.

Between baths, daily I spray either Stazko or Crown Royal #2 into their drop coats and gently pin brush. My English setter has cottony type of coat that mats in the pants and under front legs that need daily attention, either a quick brushout or spot bathing an area. But brushing out dry dirty coat will break the coat. I like to do any dematting on the table after a bath damp with a dematting spray and my Activet mat zapper.

Comment

IST is correct, although my own breed is short haired whenever I have helped friends prep their coated show dogs the coat should be damp before brushing. And for many breeds you would NOT touch that coat with a slicker brush (like most of us would in our groom shops) you would use a comb and pin brush.

Comment

Nope never. I just got done with my grand dog, who came back to me after two months and had not been touched. He has been living in four feet of snow since he left. To say he was a solid mat is an understatement. He went straight to bath. He is now mat free again. I never, ever ever, brush a dog unless it's had a bath first.
        Attached Files

Comment

ya, bath first. During coat change he would be brushed/combed daily (with spray) and may have some tangles every day but can't be bathed everyday, but bathing once a week for sure.

Comment

Very beautiful Cocker. May I ask how long did it take appx start to finish.

I have been experimenting a little with brushing out some light matting on regularly groomed dogs and it seems like it is easier (using spray and stand dryer) to at least loosen up light mats before the bath. Hardly scientific, it just seems easier. I have been going to straight to tub since school but now I am starting to second guess some of it. I even find a little pre-clipping on some dogs (neck, under ears, feet) makes it a little easier to dry thoroughly. Just wondering cause it was pre prep by old timers for so long (or was it, Idk) or is it because of the HV that changed all that pre-work. Just wondering is all.

Comment

Well that picture was from when he was here last year, I didn't get any grooming done on him yesterday, just the bath and brush out and it took me almost three hours. He was literally a solid mat pretty much the whole underneath of him and in the back of his back legs.

I'm not saying on pet dogs that we see every six or eight weeks that some prebrushing isn't helpful (though I still don't do it I hate brushing dirty dogs), but on dogs that you're trying to maintain coat on, it's not a good idea. Clean conditioned coat brushes out easier, and gets less damage. If you brush dirty coat, it breaks it and the hair just wants to 'stick' back together again, forming more mats.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                Well that picture was from when he was here last year, I didn't get any grooming done on him yesterday, just the bath and brush out and it took me almost three hours. He was literally a solid mat pretty much the whole underneath of him and in the back of his back legs.

I'm not saying on pet dogs that we see every six or eight weeks that some prebrushing isn't helpful (though I still don't do it I hate brushing dirty dogs), but on dogs that you're trying to maintain coat on, it's not a good idea. Clean conditioned coat brushes out easier, and gets less damage. If you brush dirty coat, it breaks it and the hair just wants to 'stick' back together again, forming more mats.
                Well said and Tom too.

Comment

Working...
                X