Drug-related employee problems seeming to increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug-related employee problems seeming to increase

In the last 6 months what used to be a few consult calls over this issue has turned into dozens. The latest is a groomer that apparently didn't show signs of drug abuse, issues but not drugs, and went into seizures at work while grooming a dog. Many employers have hard enough time finding groomers today, and then to lose an employee (risks aside) suddenly with no replacement, very hard to be an employer today.

Is anyone else seeing increasing issues with drugs on the job. No details or names please. Thanks for sharing.

We drug test, it helps, but later problems show up. I hope my employees tell me if there is use they know of and I am ignorant of. I just have to pay more attention.

Comment

The only reason I have ever fired employees in 10 years was doing drugs. You have to stay on top of it.

Comment

Sorry to say I have worked with groomers doing drugs, and if I thought the dogs were in danger I would say something, otherwise not. Some of them have violent friends so I would say nothing, till it endangered others.

Comment

I'm continually stunned by the number of reception staff and techs who show up to worked stoned or just starting to come down from their high. They are all tested before being hired but they have yet to conduct any of the random testing implied in the handbook. The most recent incident was the receptionist/ tech trainee that was bitten while doing the intake interview. Dog broke the mans skin on his thigh but person refused to go to urgent care or to sign an incident report. Found out later that he didn't go because of mandatory drug test performed in all such cases. He still has a job but is on very shaky ground now.
          It is almost impossible to find employees that don't test positive on short notice - especially after a day or so off of work. It's a sad situation. Glad I work alone.

Comment

We had to fire a mobile groomer 2 yrs ago when a client smelled alcohol on groomer's breath and refused to let her groom the dog. Come to find out this was a regular thing and smoked pot also while working. I suspected something but failed to act on it quick enough. Luckily she did not get a DUI while driving a commercial vehicle. My insurance would have dropped us or went thru the roof. It's more of a risk for having a driver/groomer where you cannot control the situation like a shop groomer.

Comment

I saw my old boss do a line of coke while grooming a dog.

Comment

I have had them come into interviews smelling like weed or drink and that's it.

Comment

When I started in the field as a part time bather some ten years ago, the owner would be on Adderall, coke, weed, or a combination of all three, as were most of the staff. Groomers as drug users and being tatted up are cliche, and have been for a VERY long time. I'm surprised you're just now starting to realize it as an epidemic Stephen.

Comment

The only groomers I know are people who run house call grooming services. No smoking or drugs. An occasional drink, if that. I think it's because running a business takes concentration? I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, because I need all my brain cells all the time

Comment

Originally posted by SandyinAnaheim View Post
                      When I started in the field as a part time bather some ten years ago, the owner would be on Adderall, coke, weed, or a combination of all three, as were most of the staff. Groomers as drug users and being tatted up are cliche, and have been for a VERY long time. I'm surprised you're just now starting to realize it as an epidemic Stephen.
                      It boggles my mind that people try to groom while under the influence, that is a recipe for disaster. I do just have to advocate for myself, being a heavily tattooed woman that I do not do drugs of any kind. Unless you count the glass of wine after a long days work lol!

Us tattooed folk aren't all bad!!

Comment

Originally posted by CosmonautRik View Post
                        It boggles my mind that people try to groom while under the influence, that is a recipe for disaster. I do just have to advocate for myself, being a heavily tattooed woman that I do not do drugs of any kind. Unless you count the glass of wine after a long days work lol!

Lol, most all industries have tatted ppl working....it is the norm now, piercing too.
                        As for drug use......some should be wary of whom they claim did what, if you worked in the salon with them and knew for sure or saw drug useage, or alcohol useage...then you condoned it by not reporting to the powers that be (law enforcement).
                        Cyn
                        Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
                        Last edited by Cyn; 02-01-17, 01:11 PM. Reason: Can't spell
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                          Lol, most all industries have tatted ppl working....it is the norm now, piercing too.
                          As for drug use......some should be wary of whom they claim did what, if you worked in the salon with them and knew for sure or saw drug useage, or alcohol useage...then you condoned it by not reporting to the powers that be (law enforcement).

I haven't seen it first hand before, the only sort of exposure I have is when a dog handler showed up drunk from the night before. She wasn't a groomer but still was in the pet care industry. I sent her home and worked short the whole day and she was written up and on thin-thin ice after that, we gave her one more strike with anything including tardies. Luckily, I haven't seen or heard any drug/alcohol use from any employees.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmonautRik View Post

But of course not! I have one myself. I was just repeating what I consider to be common knowledge, totally not making any judgments. Although, this particular individual was very heavily tatted, into her face, and did heavy drugs.

Originally posted by Cyn
                            That's easy for you to say from where you sit. But when you're on the tail end of shutting down your business because the economy took it, can't get a job in the legal field or other, live by yourself, have no family, can't pay the rent, are late on your car payment, and an old friend offers you a job as a bather and saves you from the precipice of falling down the rabbit hole, one doesn't call law enforcement on them. That's ridiculous. If I called the police every time I saw someone doing drugs, or stealing from clients, or driving when they shouldn't be, or being too rough with dogs in salons, etc., I would be unemployable, friendless and likely on someone's hit list. I am not a snitch, nor am I my brother's keeper. I intervene when I can, and sometimes, it's not possible to intervene because every action has consequences. Some of those consequences can be damaging in ways I can't imagine. So I ask myself if it's worth it, to risk myself and my livelihood, to turn someone in who's going to be back out in a day or two, and looking for me. I don't have that kind of drama in me.

As for "some should be wary...", you lost me. I made no mention of names, my experience was mentioned in an anonymous manner. Further, that salon imploded from the problems originally mentioned, and thus is no longer in existence.

Comment

Had an issue with a co-worker once. All of a sudden the drawer was short at night consistently, she dropped weight dramatically in a month, would come in full of energy bouncing of the walls almost one day and barely awake the next. Everyone knew she was on heroin but my boss needed the experienced help and kept her on. It took her not showing up to work one day and my boss calling around trying to find her including hospitals till her daughter called and said she had a heart attack and was in the hospital. Being my boss had already called hospitals looking for her she knew that was a lie and finally got the truth from her daughter that she was admitted to rehab. Currently just lost another co-worker because her sister had a heroin addiction and she was constantly late for work, leaving early, or calling in all together to take care of her sister. It was awesome she was there for her sister but work couldn't keep covering for her. Heroin has become such an epidemic I reguarly see cars with bumber stickers saying, "Shoot your local heroin dealer." Sad times we are living in.
                              It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                              Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                              X