IRS clamped down on local shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRS clamped down on local shop

I got 3 job applicants in one day, all from the same shop suddenly. Seems the owner had a bad visit by the IRS, well when are they anything but bad? Here's the weird part. They were called IC and not employees. Owner got caught and got a whopper tax bill and has to make them employees. OK so the 3 don't want to be employees and want to stay IC. So they want me to hire them as IC. Are you kidding me? You are telling me the IRS in on the loose around town, came down on the owner, and you want me to do it wrong just so you can stay IC? I don't think I need those kind of people working for me. What are they thinking?

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hard to believe these groomers would want to put someone else in the same position. Makes me wonder if the groomers were filing their tax returns as IC or not at all

Comment

That's weird really weird. We had a shop closed down by IRS and we picked up a pt groomer and I told her w2 only. She was happy with it.

Comment

You know. we come down so hard on the owner's of shops treating employees as IC's, but as this post shows, the groomer's themselves are a big part of the problem.

At the shop that I manage, hiring groomer's is such a hassle. You are an employee of the shop and we pay hourly, not commission. We are fair about the hourly rate (based on experience and speed). I can't tell you how many groomers object and have issues with being paid hourly. When they call looking for a job, I tell them straight up, you would be an employee, paid hourly and we will require you to use a clipper vac, at least half won't come in to fill out an application. And the half that does come in, end up having so much baggage and restrictions on when they can and can't work, it drives me crazy.

But in 3 days, it won't matter because I will be done and gone from that job and I will be my own boss and no personnel problems.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by BengalCatGuy View Post
          You know. we come down so hard on the owner's of shops treating employees as IC's, but as this post shows, the groomer's themselves are a big part of the problem.
          That's true, Scott. Supply and demand. If more groomers understood the rules and implications of being misclassified, maybe more owners would offer properly classified positions.

By the way, good luck on your new mobile adventure!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I understand it is usually the employer that gets into trouble, I have never heard of them following up and going after the employees, but sure could happen. So maybe they don't worry about it and well if the new boss gets in trouble, so what? I hate to think that, but I wonder.

Comment

Hard to believe this is an issue anyway, it is illegal on all sides so wish it would just stop. It is actually a FELONY.

Comment

It isn't fair to legal employers, but WTF these groomers want to keep doing things illegal?

Comment

One of them called back asking me to reconsider. I said do you think the IRS might investigate you too now? She got very quiet. I said I have not changed my mind, we follow the law.

Comment

Working...
                  X