Drying cockers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drying cockers

Curious as to what others who handdry (no cage) charge and any secret tips I and others might not know? As even with a very thorough wash they take me forever to dry especially ears. and a simple 4 or 7 all over takes awhile as their coats are dense like an otter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably because you are not getting the coat clean enough especially the ears. You need a degreasing shampoo and I put shampoo undiluted on the ears directly. I get 85 to 100 in mobile for a all over trim in a blade length.

Comment

It's not that as I learned early on to do what u said I put shampoo directly on ears and made damn sure to get em good. Can tell when I do it good as when they're dry they're not oily or wet lookin. Took me almost 2 hrs I gotta charge more than $55 from now on and I'm mobile

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyfoxxy View Post
        It's not that as I learned early on to do what u said I put shampoo directly on ears and made damn sure to get em good. Can tell when I do it good as when they're dry they're not oily or wet lookin. Took me almost 2 hrs I gotta charge more than $55 from now on and I'm mobile

Oh good lord yes! Especially where you are you should be getting WAY more. I'd go minimum 85

I have a rule with cockers, at least two body baths and head and ears three. That grease gets you every time.

Comment

Even with a good cleaning it's still tedious cuz of the hair density

Comment

Tonyfoxxy, I feel your pain
            I groom a family of four cockers (they come on two different days, thank god!)
            They get A comb on legs and skirt, so there is a length, but they are brushed at home and come every four weeks. I get two of them done in 3 hrs 15-20 mins. They get good scrubbing with Grimenator, two baths, three on ears. I wash one, wrap her in warm thick towel, wrap ears in small towel, like a kitchen towel size, put an old overstretched Happy Hoodie on, and put her in the kennel on another thick towel. Wash second one, do her nails, then wrap her up the same way, take first one out of kennel, dry and groom. By the time I am finished with the first one, the second is almost dry, and it takes less than 20 minutes to finish drying. If I do one at a time, it takes me 2 hrs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Strong, warm/hot aired force dryer. My double k extreme dryer has 2 motors and has heat. DEFINITELY cuts drying time.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
                Strong, warm/hot aired force dryer. My double k extreme dryer has 2 motors and has heat. DEFINITELY cuts drying time.
                ^^^^^THIS ^^^^ Along with a squeeky clean dog.
                Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticRealm View Post
                  I have one but don't use it full power on ears

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyfoxxy View Post
                    I have one but don't use it full power on ears

If these cockers are squeeky clean, a dual motor dryer should have them dry in less than 30 mins, straight out of the tub....ears should almost be dry by that point so you can turn down to one motor and remove nozzle.
                    You could also try a Happy Hoody with ears wrapped in paper towels or Absorber towels under the Happy Hoody, to dry ears faster with one motor, no nozzle.
                    Cyn
                    Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
                    Last edited by Cyn; 01-17-17, 01:20 PM. Reason: Corrected my auto correct, lol
                    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I always use Dawn dish soap(blue, concentrated)at least 2-3 times on head and ears. I will also use on body at least once. Then I use Natures Specialties hypo. If the hair is long, meaning ears, skirt and legs, try spraying a small amount of Natures Specialties Quicker Slicker on them(you would first want to towel dry) I find that using the Sham-wow helps a-lot! The reason it's taking you so long to dry a short coated cocker spaniel is because it is so dense try using a longer blade for pre- shaving. You will get a better result in the long run if you are using a 7f blade. One more conclusion why your dogs or cocker spaniels are not getting very clean. It could be the water in your area. Happy scrubbing.😁

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Comment

I agree with Cockerlvr 3 washes for the ears, if you have very hard water in your areas a short final rinse with conditioned water.

Comment

We use a plant based version of Dawn, no more petroleum based products here. Easy to find in most grocery stores and they work awesome.

Comment

I never put Cockers in a cage dryer or under a fan. I use HV and stand dryer. It makes a nice difference in their coat, it's lots of work but I ask the $ I need to do it right.

Comment

What brand do you use?

Comment

Working...
                              X