How to groom Boykin Spaniel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to groom Boykin Spaniel

I have never heard of a Boykin Spaniel before let alone groomed one. I have one scheduled for later to night. From what I can tell is they are pretty much left natural with some carding and trimming and that's it unless the owner requests otherwise. Would LOVE any tips or advice from anyone who has groomed this breed before. TIA!
    It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
    Henry David Thoreau

The Boykins that I groom I do a pretty basic job with them. Bath, nails, ear clean, condition, blow dry, carding. I also neaten up the feet and hocks, and clip the underside of the ear canal. One owner keeps his coat natural, so there is no need for a body clip but the other owner's Boykin is a working dog and he stops in the late spring for a haircut and I use a #5 on that one. I would like to leave a little more on his feathers but his owner works him in the field all Summer and he usually gets burrs up the wazoo if there is too much left.

So, in my experience it's owner preference

Comment

Same

Comment

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

How did it go. We do one.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmonautRik View Post
            The Boykins that I groom I do a pretty basic job with them. Bath, nails, ear clean, condition, blow dry, carding. I also neaten up the feet and hocks, and clip the underside of the ear canal. One owner keeps his coat natural, so there is no need for a body clip but the other owner's Boykin is a working dog and he stops in the late spring for a haircut and I use a #5 on that one. I would like to leave a little more on his feathers but his owner works him in the field all Summer and he usually gets burrs up the wazoo if there is too much left.

So, in my experience it's owner preference
            ^^^^this^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It went the best it could I guess. Mom was a super nice women, but a bit nutsy. I almost refused to groom the dog. I spent almost 30 mins checking her in as she wanted her short but not too short, ears long but not the way they are now, they look horrible, she said. I offered her clip charts to try to get length idea and asked if she had pictures of how her previous groomer did her. She shown me what I thought was a lovely groom on her phone but kept complaining how the other groomer did this and that wrong. I was getting the impression that she was one of those clients that no matter how hard you try they will always find something to complain about.

Also, she wanted to stay for the grooming as she was allowed to with her previous groomer. My first reaction was NO! I then decided that she can come watch me bathe and see where the grooming was done to try to help alleviate any worries she had. The dog seemed fine enough with it, and despite her neurosis she was a very pleasant woman to talk to so I ended up allowing her to stay. In hindsight she kept going over my groom saying, her feet still look kind of long. I replied that I still had to scissor them . Next was the tuck up, then the ears. I was starting to regret my decision till I politely informed her of the wonderful grooming school local that she could attend if she would like to become a groomer. She took the hint and backed off thankfully. The dog was absolutely wonderful and super sweet. An easy 4 all over with a tight ear. And even after all the hullabaloo she gave me a $20 tip and thanked me for letting her stay. She didn't rebook though and I didn't ask her if she wanted too.
              It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
              Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
              X