Paid vacations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid vacations

The place I have worked for the last 5 yrs has always given us paid vacations. They average out what we would make if we were grooming and pay us that per day. Every year the amount of days you get goes up, and we were all at getting 10 days paid vacation this year except for our newest groomer who has been there a yr she is eligible for 4 days. Well out of no where we each get a letter from home office that says we are not full time and we are not eligible for any vacation days. It said we have to work 32 hrs a week to be full time, mine said I work an average of 29 a week others said even less because they always forget to clock in and out the newest groomer is the only one with enough hours to qualify. But we have always worked the same amount of time and groomed the same amount of dogs, yr after yr. I think it is wrong of them to consider us part time when we groom soooo many dogs a week. And make as much money as our manager of the whole resort. It should not be based on hours because I can groom 6 to 10 dogs and sometimes still leave by 3:00. But the less experienced groomer grooms 4 dogs and leaves very late, so she gets more hours in and she is the only one of us considered to be full time, so she gets a paid vacation and not us. She deserves it and we all do as well. I wish there was something I could do to change home office's new policy. We work 5 to 6 days a week. But I have to drop off the kids in the morning and I can't get to work earlier than 9 am and then I have to leave by 2:45 to get kids so that only gives me 5 hours and 45 min times 5 days a week which is 29 hours. And when it is slow we sometimes don't come in at all. So that throws it all off too, why should we loose our benefits because we are slow. I will loose my life insurance and medical insurance, 401K , and maybe even my discount at the vets not just my vacation pay. Sorry so long but it has us all upset.

You have every right to be upset. That really sucks!

Comment

That happened at the petsomething I worked at, but at a private place? That makes life really hard for people!

Comment

GRRRRR

I don't and never have had a paid vacation since I started grooming.
        But if it is something you are use to and felt like you deserve it it can really feel unfair.
        Isn't there some way you and the other groomers could fight it? I think I would start saying if I'm only part time I'm only grooming part of the dogs I use to. Of course that hurts you too. I would really be very upset about it.
        "There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face."
        Diane

Comment

How awful

That was the way it was at the chain store I was at. Not full time, then not full benefits. But they would try to send people home if not enough dogs. It was disconcerting. Seems terrible to change policy especially. They'd be sorry if they lose their good groomers.
          Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Comment

That's awful. Time for all you guys to protest, Do you work for a big or small company? Either way it stinks. I so sorry this is happening to you.. Is there a way to get more hours?
            "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
            Nancy

Comment

Very unfair. And people wonder why morale gets so low at some of these workplaces.

Comment

What?

What's a vacation?

Comment

Can you get your manager involved to see about get that changed. They should at least give you a years notice. I am so sorry for the change and 29 hours a week by an experienced groomer seems close enough to full time to me.

Comment

That is upsetting and pretty unfair of management. Are you paid comission? Because if you are, you would think management would average how much you make per week instead. Is there anyway you and the other groomers can have a meeting w/the-powers-that-be to discuss this and explain your side of it? If not, maybe looking for another job w/the benefits you have gotten used to would be the best way to go. Tell us what happens!
                    SheilaB from SC

Comment

Perhaps this new policy is an attempt to insure a good bottom line for the company. If this is a private concern and not a large pet-something, the groomers affected could approach management and ask for the reason behind the decision. If management is willing to explain their need to curtail a once offered benefit, together you may be able to work out a plan to secure the vacation benefit if it is indeed a cost saving measure.

Comment

That is the same way it is at the corps. Usually they will give you warning in advance that your average hours has gone down and you need to bring it up before you lose your bennies. Really sucks they didn't warn you.

Comment

Thats horrible, do you think you could squeeze the extra hours in maybe on the weekend or something?

Comment

Can you work on saturday for 7-8 hours that would bump you up. big corp suck, but unfortunately heath costs are outragous.
                            If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Comment

Welcome to corporate

Been there in management positions. I doubt that you have a chance of "reasoning" with management or trying to get more hours. Obviously the management is watching the hours very closely. Sounds like they have some new upper management wanting to improve the bottom line. Wouldn't be surprised if you start hearing the phrase "team player" around there alot from now on.

Comment

Working...
                              X