Prep work before bathing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prep work before bathing.

Evening every one , hope your day hasn't been too rushed if working or finishing last minute prep for Tomorrow.
    Please bare with me on this, I know what your all going to say however my mum ( who is currently learning to groom at a local grooming academy) asked to post this for her as she is not very good with technology, she is refusing to listen to what I have to suggest and advise and I'm usually met with " that's not what I was taught"

So bit of back ground : mum is looking for a career change ( she's in her 40's ) and as she's sees how much I love what I do and decided she wants to do so she's going to this grooming academy .

Now, this evening I went down to groom my monthly peke that's scissored all over to 1/2 " in length ( to practice my scissor skills more than clients request) She asked if I could teach her and her help me so I said she could watch . so start with my routine ... Right in the tub he goes.

First thing mum asks ? Why ? Why no brushing or trimming or rough cutting? So I explain the usual , quicker, better for coat and equipment etc and she says : " that's not what I was taught"

So ... May I ask for your options that I can relay on to her please , even though I've 10 years under my belt she will not listen to me.

Thanks in advance
    Marshmellow

Been grooming 30 odd yrs.....I was also taught to preclip, brush out, ect before bath....about 5 yr into grooming I figured out that in the tub FIRST was the way to go. Lots of undercoat and mats will come loose in the tub, nails are softer to clip and dremel after bath, no dirt "killing" my equipment. .....once I found this forum, I also learned about wet clipping...hair has more stretch to it and a severely matted dog can usually be done 3 blade lengths longer when wet with no skin irritation as opposed to scalping with a 10 blade an having red spots where it was hard to get that 10 blade through.
    I will sometimes still roughly knock off some length before bath if it is a way over grown dog that is in fair shape but owner wants shaved with a 10 (no need to dry all that hair) but it is very rare for me to do so.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Thanks cyn your points will help reiterate what I was telling her.
      Its just very frustrating when she won't listen to me , I get that I'm her daughter and younger than she is however this is a field that I am actually more knowledgeable in as this is all I've done since leaving school

Comment

I too have 30 years under my belt......but I'm mobile and all of my clients are on a regular 2-8 week grooming schedule, so I don't get the "rough" dogs with mats. My routine is to do their nails first, then I clipper the hair under their paws with a #40, then I do the santi with a #10, then clean ears......then off to the bath. This was how my grooming school taught us and it has worked well for me. I would imagine that every groomer has a variation of steps, but in the end, all gets done.

Happy holidays to everyone

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Thanks dolly for taking the time to reply ,

Comment

One thing I've noticed about middle-aged people who are uncomfortable with new technology -- they are people who are nervous about doing things the "wrong" way. They will cling to what they're told by authority figures as if it is the final word. When someone breezily does something that contradicts the "rules", they feel tense and confused, because now they don't know which rules to follow and heaven forbid that there not be rules. That's fine -- it's just a personality trait.

So I would avoid trying to teach your mom anything. Just make up an excuse that you've got another commitment. She'll figure things out over time and find her own way of working. Meanwhile, you'll be showing kindness to her by not making her brain explode with confusion over the rules of grooming. Believe me, when I tried to teach an older friend to use the computer, there was no way she was going to believe what I told her. She was convinced I was doing it all wrong, ha ha.

Comment

The only thing I do before the bath is pull ear hair, put cleaner in the ear, and stuff a piece of cotton in there. Then right to the bath. Doesn't matter how matted, how dirty how disgusting. Right to the bath.

Comment

Let her learn the way she is being taught. Then when y'all end up working together just do it how you do it. She will watch and ask for suggestion when she is ready.

Comment

Finished grooming school last month and that is the way we did it. Doing reading on mobile grooming and other topics, most advise putting into tub if water and soap will penetrate the coat.
                  Looking back at the school environment , with only 3 tubs available, can't really have 12 students run to the tubs with 12 dogs. So I imagine it is done that way in the school environment to create some spacing.
                  Being 50 and not middle age; yet, is probably why I didn't have any issues modifying my routine. ☺

Comment

I was taught in school that "anything that is shorter than 5f gets pre-clipped". Luckily, I have found this board while still in school and learned a lot of tricks that make life easier.
                    Now every dog goes straight to the tub, I clean ears in the tub, clip nails after that bath (on small dogs I wrap them in the towel while clipping and filing nails and they are mostly dry by the time we are done with nails; on big dogs it is much easier to clip nails after they have been wet).
                    It is so much easier on my blades, and on dog's skin to clip the clean hair. Also, it is easier to dry coat straight that is a little longer (so if she does pre-clip, suggest she does it with a blade one length longer than the finish blade). And on double coats, like your Peke, you remove undercoat in the bath, for better finish. If you pre-clip, then wash, then you will have to do as much final clipping, because of that undercoat; so bathing first saves time.
                    Just like Dolly's, most of my customers are on 3-6 weeks schedule so they are in good shape, but even if I do get dogs that are matted and getting 7f I still wash them first rather than fighting through dirty coat.

BUT, having said that, I think Emma and Moses are right, that sometimes you need to let other people to come to that conclusion on their own time. Maybe after your mom have had sufficient training you can have two similar dogs that she can do both ways: one pre-clipping before bath, and another going straight to the bath, and see what she likes best

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks every one for your replies , can I ask , those who went to a grooming school, how long were the courses and how did they teach the cutting side if things ? This one my mum has chosen is 2 weeks long and she says the students there are pretty much left to their own devices " here's your dog go give it a <insert style.> trim

Comment

I also agree with Moses and Emma.....she needs to figure out on her own what works best for her.
                        I didn't go to school, had a wonderful groomer in Alexandria, LA that mentored me. Have to say 2 weeks is not long enough to train anyone to groom, much less groom properly. But she will pick up things from you as she goes along......but let her "pick" things up, don't force her unless she is in danger of hurting a pet or herself.
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmellow View Post
                          Thanks every one for your replies , can I ask , those who went to a grooming school, how long were the courses and how did they teach the cutting side if things ? This one my mum has chosen is 2 weeks long and she says the students there are pretty much left to their own devices " here's your dog go give it a <insert style.> trim
                          Back in 1987, my grooming school was 300 hours, and it covered just the basics. I know of a grooming school in Ohio, that is only 30 hrs long, and the one student that contacted me, requesting a ride along, felt that she didn't know anything about grooming. This school is, I believe, 3K, and is still spitting out young groomers who never had a chance to grasp any concept of any step in grooming, except that their bank account is depleted.

Happy going to a reputable school

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

The school I attended was for 480 hours which was 12 weeks, 8 hours a day. First hour each day was for bookwork and then 7 hours or so doing the dogs.
                            They would let you add 2 weeks at the end if you wanted to stay at no additional cost. I chose not to do the extra 2 weeks, not so much that I couldn't use the extra time, but it was time to go and see how others groom. Plus it was time to add to the bank account instead of subtracting.

The instructors pretty much watch and walk around the whole time (assisting students) making sure things are going okay. The longer you are there, you progress to more difficult dogs to manage and less instructor supervision. IMO and I could be wrong, but I don't think 2 weeks is going to teach a whole bunch and more or less would be just prepping someone to go and OJT somewhere.

Comment

I'm not forcing her to do anything she asked me why if she could help with this client ( none paying friend but still treat and groom the dog as though he was ) and she asked me why I bathed the dog first and I explained its the way I groom and explained why I did it and she's asked me why its different and she's asked me to post on here which way is better , I'm honestly not trying to force her to do anything and I agree , 2 weeks isn't long enough yet they are sending people out with a city and guild qualification ( it the only recognized grooming qualification u
                              In the UK) supposedly ready to run a business.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and answer me, I really do appriciate it
                              Enjoy your day with your friends and family

Comment

Working...
                              X