Muzzles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muzzles?

What is everyone's opinion of using muzzles? In my salon, we are not allowed to use them, but get asked almost weekly. I've even had customers bring them in and demand they be used on their dog... One lady even thought it was a threat when she told me "If you don't put it on, I'm not letting you groom him."

99% of my clients that have told me their dog their dogs are aggressive have been mistaken.

Personally, I don't feel there should ever be a situation where a muzzle is the answer. If your pet is so stressed out by grooming, putting one of those things on his face will only make him panic more. I don't think I should be made to feel like a terrible person for suggesting sedated grooming at a vet clinic.

Mainly venting, but I'd love others opinions on the subject

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dogs are almost always bad for owners....maybe thats why they thing they need to be muzzled, idk. I only muzzle the bad biters. ....it dosent make them panic, but they know when the muzzle is on they can't bit and don't even try to bite.
    Cyn
    Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
    Last edited by Cyn; 12-23-16, 08:56 AM.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I use them for really bad biters. If they continue to freak out, get worse, or keep ripping the muzzle off, thats when i call the owners to pick up the dog. If used correctly, muzzles are really helpful

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

There are dogs that calm dog instantly when there's a muzzle on them.

I don't use them often (high handling threshold, and other solutions), but they definitely have their place.

Comment

I have a few bad biters & use muzzles on them. Before I put the muzzles on, I spritz a holistic calming lavender spray on the muzzle. These dogs are calm and I can groom without any incident or worry about being bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The way I see it is... for the most part we can get Everything done we need to by providing a calm low stress atmosphere. But there are some dogs that do need a muzzle. From experience it takes anywhere from 3 regular 6week sessions to 2 years to not have to use a muzzle on some pets. And then there are times that you need one for 5 mins andvthats it. I always have them available for use if need be. And sometimes just setting it on the table is enough.

Comment

I only use them as a last resort-mainly for nails on those terrier terrorists.
              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I personally don't use them, preferring instead my GH or a fellow groomer to help hold if needed. That being said, you cannot be forbidden by your employer to use a muzzle, since this is a piece of safety equipment for a groomer, and OSHA can fine your boss for not allowing PPE (personal protection equipment).

Comment

I'm at a vet, and I rarely use a muzzle. They use the cloth muscles in the clinic area when they have aggressive dogs. In grooming, I have two sizes of basket muscles. Those are the only ones I will allowed to be used. Generally, I only use a muzzle if the dog will continue to try and bite the equipment or the scissors. I have yet to have a dog seriously try to bite me in the grooming situation. I know it happens, I've just been very fortunate. I get a lot of dogs from other shops that say the pet have to be sedated to be touched and we just use a very calm and quiet approach. There have been a few instances where I've said we have to do desensitizing daycare and grooming so that the pets get used to the idea that things are not bad in there. Out of those only one was unable to be touched. (That one is sensually was euthanized because it became so aggressive and terrorized the household.)

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
                    There are dogs that calm dog instantly when there's a muzzle on them.

I don't use them often (high handling threshold, and other solutions), but they definitely have their place.
                    This^^^
                    I have one dog, that once I'm done with his face muzzle goes on. Without it he's a wreck, he tries to bite constantly. With it, he knows he can't bite and calms down and we fly through the groom, instead of me being on the defensive worrying about getting bit.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
                      you cannot be forbidden by your employer to use a muzzle, since this is a piece of safety equipment for a groomer, and OSHA can fine your boss for not allowing PPE (personal protection equipment).
                      Is there a source anywhere that defines a muzzle as PPE? I am just curious because my company does not allow muzzles and I wondered if it was considered PPE or not. If you have a source I would love to see.

To answer the OP, since muzzles were taken out of our salons I found different ways to not have to use them. The groomer's helper being my best friend now. There are some dogs that did calm right down when muzzled that now put up a bit of a fight for things like nails, and some of the really bad biters that we can no longer take. But overall, there are alternative handling techniques that I don't consider them necessary, but handy once in a while.

Comment

I have 1 that I have to muzzle , a welsh and that's because his last groomer would constantly dematt him and would spend HOURS doing so (says so in his notes) and now you can't touch him with out trying to bite, yet with the muzzle on he chills right out because he knows he can't bite and were done with the groom within the hour

Comment

Rarely use one now, learning to use the Groomers Helper really helps, and if they are that behavioral to seriously need a muzzle I just don't groom them anymore except some long time old clients. So I do keep one around but 10 minutes max use.

Comment

Working...
                          X