Best Way to Handle Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to Handle Situation

We had a snowstorm a few nights ago and I was unable to travel to my pet grooming shop one day (most everything in town was closed as well). I called all my scheduled customers EXCEPT I forgot to call one in all the snow mayhem. He's upset - said he paid someone with a 4-wheel-drive to get the dog to the shop for the appointment and was mad we were closed when he got there. I apologized and scheduled the dog the very next day to get her groomed. He asked if he could get the groom discounted. I I agreed but then he told ME what he was going to pay -- giving himself a $20 discount on a $50 dollar groom. I did feel bad about messing up and not calling but was a little shocked at his cajones at deciding on his own discount. Next time -- what's the best way to handle a situation like this?

I agree that he had no right to decide his own discount. BUT, considering the circumstances between 10- 15 $ off sounds fair. I would be a tad mad if I came through snow and no body was there

Comment

Since he made an extraordinary effort to get to your salon, and it was closed, I would have given him a free groom......

Happy giving some Christmas cheer

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
        I agree that he had no right to decide his own discount. BUT, considering the circumstances between 10- 15 $ off sounds fair. I would be a tad mad if I came through snow and no body was there
        Yea, this! But the best way to avoid it would be to double check all clients had been contacted.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Good grief! We're only human, after all, and sometimes we make mistakes. Think I would've discounted just what he paid to get the dog to you. Sounds like his first name is Ebeneezer.
          Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Hey, mistakes happen. Considering the guy had to pay somebody else to drive his dog through the snow to get there the $20 off is probably what he paid. I truly like Dolly suggestion of apologizing and giving them a free room and just calling it even. But you have to decide what you need to do to keep your business afloat. The very next time he comes in if he still slightly miffed you could throw in some sort of a bonus process (Teeth brushing) and use that as the balance of the apology on your part. I generally prefer to give a free service then to discount cash.

Comment

Yes I agree. I would do it for free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

I must agree, in this case a free groom would not be out of order.

Comment

I don't like his approach, but would have offered a free groom when I called to apologize

Comment

I too would've apologized for overlooking him when I was making calls, totally thrown myself under the bus, and immediately offered a free groom at his first available convenience. Client is king at my place. Without them I don't get paid!

Comment

Thank you everyone for your responses! I appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
                        I too would've apologized for overlooking him when I was making calls, totally thrown myself under the bus, and immediately offered a free groom at his first available convenience. Client is king at my place. Without them I don't get paid!
                        Perfectly said. BTW, cajones means big boxes. I believe the word you were looking for is cojones.

Comment

Actually, I think I meant cohones!

Comment

If the weather was that bad, I'm surprised he thought you'd be open at all. Wouldn't it be a given that you would be closed in a snowstorm. I guess , depending on how well I liked the customer I pry would have groomed the dog for free, however and then send him on his way

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie's_Mutts View Post
                              We had a snowstorm a few nights ago and I was unable to travel to my pet grooming shop one day (most everything in town was closed as well). I called all my scheduled customers EXCEPT I forgot to call one in all the snow mayhem. He's upset - said he paid someone with a 4-wheel-drive to get the dog to the shop for the appointment and was mad we were closed when he got there. I apologized and scheduled the dog the very next day to get her groomed. He asked if he could get the groom discounted. I I agreed but then he told ME what he was going to pay -- giving himself a $20 discount on a $50 dollar groom. I did feel bad about messing up and not calling but was a little shocked at his cajones at deciding on his own discount. Next time -- what's the best way to handle a situation like this?
                              I follow my own rules, I charge if someone no shows on me and I certainly wouldn't charge them if I no showed on them. It's your mistake, you need to make it up them. I never want to be left feeling it is my fault for a bad review or lost customer. But you have to make your own rules.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X