Natural Heartworm Prevention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Heartworm Prevention?

Had a client yesterday who's taking her dog to Florida with her (they travel alot). She said she gave Keno a natural heartworm preventative. We had talked about putting Keno on heartworm meds before. Not much of an issue here, but they travel alot in the south. This client is 'only natural and organic' all the way. Is there such a thing? And how effective is it??
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Never heard of any such thing. But would be interested in hearing from someone on this forum that has.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Here's a link to an article that quotes two veterinarians, including one who practices holistically. Both support the appropriate use of proven heart worm preventatives for dogs in endemic areas. There is a section near the end that addresses, in general, natural alternatives for heart worm prevention. Both vets conclude that, at best, various offerings are less effective and could even be toxic or dangerous.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/...-does-it-exist

Personally, I choose to give my dogs a monthly preventative to kill any baby heartworms before they mature (and cause permanent scarring of the blood vessels ,etc). Preventatives kill an infection that has already started when it is at the stage that it is susceptible.

The treatment for a mature heartworm infection is 3 painful injections of an arsenic based compound into the back muscles of the dog. The injections are spaced about 4 weeks apart if the dog is healthy enough and they must remain physically quiet for one month following each treatment. A minimum of eight weeks of slow leash walks for potty breaks only! That's because as the worms die, they breakup and the pieces can block the blood flow and kill the dog. More activity equals bigger pieces.
      But wait...isn't arsenic natural....? Hmmm...so are heartworm infections!

I once heard someone claim that their dog didn't need heartworm prevention because they had a fenced yard. I was stunned into silence at the thought of mosquitoes that were so well trained ( or polite?, I still don't know) that they wouldn't cross a fence line.

Comment

Realdogs, thanks for the info. That's what I was thinking, too. Probably no way to convince this client, tho.
        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Yep, Thanks Realdogs.....that was my thinking as well.
          Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I'm happy that you both found the link useful.
            Karla, hopefully your client tells her vet all this so that Keno can be on an appropriate test schedule relative to the travel times.
            Testing has to be timed correctly after exposure/infection to be valid. Then, if positive, any treatment would be earlier.
            From what you said though, my guess would be that the owner won't even do that. You can only do so much when the dogs you know do not belong to you...

Comment

What's really odd too is that MILLIONS of Americans have worms. I take diatomaceous that earth for 30 days every day twice a year, my dogs all year. It is not bad in our area but not unheardof. In 40 years using it, no worms of ANY kind in my dogs. Entirely safe, zero chemicals. You can put it around ant stacks in your yard, kills them without any chemicals too. Some other pests too. Totally safe for pets. Some good preventative things I do as well here http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/tr...orm-naturally/. CHEAP like few bucks for an entire year for the dia earth.

Comment

Working...
              X