But my groomer didn't...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But my groomer didn't...

I have heard those words or close to it about 3 times this year. Mostly from new customers that have a bichon, bichon poo mix, lhasa mix. The ones that shed into their coat. You probably guessed they bathe their pets between grooms (shaves). I usually ask if they do just that. Yes, and I explain that they need to get the undercoat out before they bathe. Then these times I heard, but my groomer doesn't do that. That got me to thinking, how would they know? Did they ask? I just explain they we have special care products and HV dryers and tools that make it possible for us to do less dematting before the bath and we make we get it out during the dry. "Oh I didn't know that." Maybe they read the boards??? Do you think they actually asked their groomer? I need to ask next time.

I would wonder too, where did they get this information from. I do tell a few people to brush before bathing at home but no one ever said "but my groomer doesn't do that". Only once, when I worked at Corp. I had a dog (new customer) that was going to be shaved and he was matted but not pelted. The owner was hanging around while I clipped his nails and after that I picked him up to go in the back to bathe him she asked "aren't you going to shave him first?" Then I told her I always bathe first, it's easier in dog and my tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to be honest. I have no idea what you mean when you say to get the undercoat out of a dog before you bathe it. Do you just mean the dead coat?

I don't get any coat out of any dog before I bathe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Moo View Post
        I'm going to be honest. I have no idea what you mean when you say to get the undercoat out of a dog before you bathe it. Do you just mean the dead coat?

I don't get any coat out of any dog before I bathe it.
        Undercoat shed. Yes dead coat.

Comment

I have watched YouTubes by groomers that mention they don't remove the trapped shed before the bath. These groomers were likely talking to other groomers but I am sure thousands and thousands of pet owners have watched such videos, yet not realize they have to get shed and old matts out during the dry latest or else make matt-ers worse.

Comment

"matt-ers"...Love that! Yes, back in the day before HV dryers and the great products we have now, it was always de-mat, de-shed first. Owners at home without these need to brush first. I tell them brush out pre-bath and brush and COMB again when the coat is dry. Home bath, shop bath are two different things.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

I get those they keep washing the matts even and that usually means a shave. Most pet owners use their hair dryers and that just ain't gonna blow out anything.

Comment

I have heard so many times early in my career my other groomer didn't, makes you wonder why they are with you when you know that groomer is still open for business.

Comment

Originally posted by coldnose View Post
                  I have heard so many times early in my career my other groomer didn't, makes you wonder why they are with you when you know that groomer is still open for business.
                  My thoughts, exactly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X