Number of shops/population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of shops/population

So a couple years ago in my town of about 25,000 people, we had five or six professional advertising grooming salons in town doing business. One shop closed its doors at that time unexpectedly. It appeared they had a decent clientele and the other shops taking on the new clients and keeping up with their own, kept everybody booked out about four weeks. Lots of customers complained and even some made comments that their wife should open shop,they'd make a killing haha.

Apparently some people did take notice and now we have 11 grooming shops in our town. It's insane and for once I think , no there are not enough dogs to go around. I'm quite confident in my skill and ability , but that doesn't stop people from shopping around , they definitely have plenty of options. also I'm quite sure we have some price slasher groomers...

So , out of curiosity how big is your town and how many professional advertising salons/mobiles does it have.?

The 11 I'm counting in my town of 25,000 includes 3 mobiles that have opened up new since last December ..

OK admin is good at this, but here goes. Rough figures but he has posted the formulas before. Also there are sources on net. You have about 10,000 households for a population of 25,000. About 6,000 households are dog and/cat owners. About 4,000 are dog households. So there are about roughly 400 dogs per groomer, and of course, some people don't use groomers. If you are working alone I would think you could get 250 households (and remember some have 2 or more dogs). Admin can correct me. And I will also speak up on what he has said before, and his mom whom I met about 14 years ago, you grow a business by not being like the others, set yourself apart and bond them to you for your services for both the customer and pets are like nowhere else and you will always have some of the best clientele available. Don't be the cheapest, but not the most expensive either and get them involved in an appointment scheduling program like Maddie put in her book to get more appointments per year...I have read that book 10 times you can see and took a 5 day seminar with Admin long ago in grooming school. Stuck with me. I don't even compare myself with other groomers and get involved in talking about them, I offer great prices, customer service, about 75% are booked in my appt program, I create informational handouts on nutrition and care 3 times a years for my customers and hand them out, I rarely use email or text unless they ask and otherwise make phone contact with them for appointment reminders, I give them a written report as Maddie did, and I have the busiest shop in my area of about 40,000 population with over 1,000 regulars.

I hope this helps. If you are working alone or just a bather you should do well to get those 250 or so households.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond d..I wasn't aware there was a formula per say to figure... But I'm glad I know now

Comment

In New York City, there are tons and tons of people. High density. Within ten blocks from my home, there are 6 salons. There are 2 mobile groomers who work from a van. There are 5 house call groomers who cover this area. These are just the people who are visible, and doesn't include the ones who run very small house call businesses.

Comment

I work in monroeville pa and there are at least 7 other shops just in our area alone. within 5 miles at least another 8 shops. i have built up a very loyal clientelle and am always busy. good grooming and great customer service will keep you busy even if the others slash prices. they may try them once but theyll be back

Comment

Originally posted by janice524 View Post
            I work in monroeville pa and there are at least 7 other shops just in our area alone. within 5 miles at least another 8 shops. i have built up a very loyal clientelle and am always busy. good grooming and great customer service will keep you busy even if the others slash prices. they may try them once but theyll be back
            Great attitude you only have to live up to it. No stress worrying about competitors, just be the best you can be for the people and pets, you will be fine.

Comment

I think there is some formula in the career report at www.petgroomermagazine.com.

Comment

Working...
              X