Nail Trim full amount or commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail Trim full amount or commission

How does everyone do nail trims in their shops ? I was wondering if anyone does commission on nail trims or does the whole amount go to the groomer ? At the shop I work at its regular commission clips are $12 dremmel's are 16 we get half of that no cash it goes on the paycheck. How do you guys get paid for nails or pay your employees for nails ? Just curious. We had a little spat about it the other day I think groomers should get the full amount for nail trims since we are providing the tools for the job and not using any water or shampoo on the dog and providing the entire service. What do you all think ? Am I wrong ?

Regular commission. Boss is still providing building and clients.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Commission.

Comment

You are dead wrong. How can you defend the argument that since the groomer is using their tool it should be 100 percent theirs? After all they are in the boss' shop working on shop clients. You know we have bills to pay and everything counts even $5.

In my opinion groomers make too much at 50 percent. Think of it, they are getting 1/2 of all the grooming income and owners pay payroll tax, swipe fees every time a client whips out a debit card, rent, licensing, ads, lights, insurance.

Truth is non grooming owner income is less than 25 percent of the groom price, if that much. And you forgot you make tips and I pay the swipe fees on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

All services that I perform on work time should be part of my commission/salary.

Comment

When I had my storefront shop with a self-service pet wash, my receptionist (who was a poodle breeder) did all the nails only.She received the full amount. It was a nice addition to her hourly salary and very much appreciated by her.
            Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your comments at most shops ive worked at it the nail trim money has been mostly given out in cash either half or the full amount. But is seems commission is the way most people pay. Each shop will pay as it wants to im fine with either way but prefer cash to boost my bottom dollar for the day if it is slow. Thanks all for the response more of a poll than anything.
              As for IrishSetterToms comments perhaps you should be a grooming owner instead of a non grooming owner to cut your expenses or not own a business with so much overhead. You did seem to forget that 50% of regular groom dog is approximately $25 to 30 dollars of which I (at my shop have to pay a bather $6 ) and take my taxes out. I generally spend any where from 45 mins to 2 hours on a dog yes prices vary with the breed and size and every dog is different but if a dog is difficult the groom takes longer. So my hourly percentage goes down. I can only do so many dogs per day. Out of my 50% which I have to pay my rent my health insurance my food and all my other general living expenses this is how I make my living. Do you provide health insurance or and equipment budget buy tools or scissor for your employees help them with the cost there ? Or the cost of sharpening or learning new skills keeping current on all breed standard continued education seminars ? Most non groomer owners I work for do not pay for any of those things having to do with us making you money so if you do you are in the minority. Without good groomers you would not be making any money. I am grateful for my job and have a very nice owner but I would never expect her to understand just how hard it is to work commission, until you've done it you wont get it. Ive been doing this a long time im okay with the way the industry works you obviously are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzzztzu View Post
                Thank you all for your comments at most shops ive worked at it the nail trim money has been mostly given out in cash either half or the full amount. But is seems commission is the way most people pay. Each shop will pay as it wants to im fine with either way but prefer cash to boost my bottom dollar for the day if it is slow. Thanks all for the response more of a poll than anything.
                As for IrishSetterToms comments perhaps you should be a grooming owner instead of a non grooming owner to cut your expenses or not own a business with so much overhead. You did seem to forget that 50% of regular groom dog is approximately $25 to 30 dollars of which I (at my shop have to pay a bather $6 ) and take my taxes out. I generally spend any where from 45 mins to 2 hours on a dog yes prices vary with the breed and size and every dog is different but if a dog is difficult the groom takes longer. So my hourly percentage goes down. I can only do so many dogs per day. Out of my 50% which I have to pay my rent my health insurance my food and all my other general living expenses this is how I make my living. Do you provide health insurance or and equipment budget buy tools or scissor for your employees help them with the cost there ? Or the cost of sharpening or learning new skills keeping current on all breed standard continued education seminars ? Most non groomer owners I work for do not pay for any of those things having to do with us making you money so if you do you are in the minority. Without good groomers you would not be making any money. I am grateful for my job and have a very nice owner but I would never expect her to understand just how hard it is to work commission, until you've done it you wont get it. Ive been doing this a long time im okay with the way the industry works you obviously are not.
                If you spend 45 min to 2 hrs for a trim after the bather hands you a prepped dog, you are too slow to make a good paycheck.

I do groom but I run a mobile grooming company besides managing the shop and accounting. I'm lucky if I can book 1 or 2 for myself. I don't know where you are located but rents here for a average 1500 sq ft shop are $2000 month. Add in legal W-2 payroll and all the other expenses and you can see that it adds up and groom prices cannot keep up with business cost increases.

I can tell you I was a hairstylist for years before owning a groom business and standard commission is up to 40%. More like 35% of the cut and color total. No one got anywhere near 50%. (Oh, also you had to buy your own color and bleach) And no, owners do not pay for tools and sharpening as each groomer treats and abuses their equipment differently.

Getting back to the original nail trim, suppose I let my groomers keep the full cost of the trim and the client swipes a card. Now I let the groomer keep the $12 and I pay 2.75% fee so now the nail trim not only didn't make me money but I lose money on it.

Comment

Umm gonna speak out here. WE as groomers do make a good wage. WE as owners pay for many things other than just commission or salary for employees. HOW long has it been since you made minimum wage. YES it is nice to have employers that can assist groomers in continuing education and the like but your bills and life are not our main priority. YES take care of groomers but don't as a groomer be greedy. YOUR tools your responsibility. YOUR rent your responsibility. Etc etc... there is way more to owning a salon than just physical labor of grooming. AND why are you paying a bather? THAT is shop owners responsibility not yours

Comment

If you 2ant extra money work for it. WASH your own dogs. Up sell something or suggest more frequent apts.

Comment

Every shop I have worked at except one, I was paid commission. The one I wasn't, I was paid the full amount. I think it was because the owner didn't want to have to stop what she was doing to do nails. I didn't mind. I easily made an extra $250 from nails a week.

Comment

My groomers get regular commission on nail clips

Comment

Originally posted by Suzzztzu View Post
                          How does everyone do nail trims in their shops ? I was wondering if anyone does commission on nail trims or does the whole amount go to the groomer ? At the shop I work at its regular commission clips are $12 dremmel's are 16 we get half of that no cash it goes on the paycheck. How do you guys get paid for nails or pay your employees for nails ? Just curious. We had a little spat about it the other day I think groomers should get the full amount for nail trims since we are providing the tools for the job and not using any water or shampoo on the dog and providing the entire service. What do you all think ? Am I wrong ?
                          I think this is simple. Nothing for the owner, let's see the landlord is paying rent, insurance, employee taxes, other taxes, permits, licenses, electricity, bookkeeper or accountant, sometimes legal help, that makes a business available. So consider that. Many employers like me also supply all the tools they need but they can use their own if they want too. In fact in some states you MUST make that offer but that's another story. If paying by commission, sure let them have the commission. If working on salary or hourly, it's part of their pay to do what work there is during their shift. I am salary for full time employees and hourly for part time and no one complains. If a nail job comes in, it goes to a bather that has the time, if not, I do it. We have a happy shop and my full timers have been here 4 to 8 years. Remember all the hidden costs it takes just to have a building and to "host" employees.

Comment

Originally posted by KarlaSnyder View Post
                            When I had my storefront shop with a self-service pet wash, my receptionist (who was a poodle breeder) did all the nails only.She received the full amount. It was a nice addition to her hourly salary and very much appreciated by her.
                            Yes, I forgot to say earlier my reception also can do nails and I prefer that. If they are new and not yet trained, other staff, but this is best idea.

Comment

That's a good idea in theory, but many dogs are so difficult or flat out panic and it takes 2 people sometimes to get it done. A non groomer doing nails can quickly turn ugly and the liability for a owner having a receptionist taking the chance of getting bit or hurting the dog is high.

Comment

Working...
                              X