Another groomer questioning me on my pricing, venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another groomer questioning me on my pricing, venting

So today I had a local groomer ring asking to speak to me asking me about my prices what services do I offer products I use , styles I do etc which I was fine with. I'm confident enough in my own abilities and with my standard of grooming that I'm happy to discuss this with other groomer. I don't have any discounts only a prescription shampoo bath and brush only for clients who book it weekly any longer than 2 weeks its full price any way I digress..... She fully slatted me over my grooming prices! Saying she's surprised I've any clientele as she charges less than half of what do and she's booked to capacity. I explain that I use high quality products include nails and ear cleaning/ plucking glands by a nurse if needed a free 6 month nurse health check which new clients also get the pets are fluff dried and reasonable demattimg I also offer a wide variety of styles from breed groom to owners specifications to short back and sides I also groom cats and rabbits and aggressive dogs. I went on to explain she needs to charge clients what she needs to to make for overheads etc which is why I charge what I charge. She went on to there's no need for dog shampoo when super market value does the same job. I decided to end the call there as she was getting rather nasty by saying my pricing structure is my buisness and that I no longer wish to continue the conversation. She called me a money grabbing ***** who had no business grooming. GAH ! First time I had something happen like this I don't regret for my prices being where they are nor am I apologising for them, not cheap but not exceedingly expensive and I put out some very nice groom's. I just felt she was rude. I groom maybe 4/5 dogs a day with days I've only 1or2 . thanks for listening and letting me vent ......again x

I would've politely said "Yes I'm expensive, and the dogs look that way after I've groomed them . I prefer quality over quantity, but to each his own". Click. End of conversation.

Comment

How odd. Can you imagine if Wal-Mart's CEO called Whole Foods' CEO & told Whole Foods to charge less?

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
        I would've politely said "Yes I'm expensive, and the dogs look that way after I've groomed them . I prefer quality over quantity, but to each his own". Click. End of conversation.
        ^^^^^THIS ^^^^^
        Someone must have told her that your work was better than hers!
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I don't really validate my pricing to people anymore, and people have sure commented. I'm more than glad to refer price shoppers to other shops, and I'm even happy to have these places leave their cards with me to hand out. I likely would have told her to feel free to drop off some cards and I'll be happy to hand them out to the cheapskates. I'm not trying to attract those people, anyway. Everybody wins.

Comment

It's like the CEO of Kia Motors calling the CEO of BMW complaining they sell overpriced cars. As they say, you get what you pay for.

She should have thanked you for her business being fully booked, allowing her to service clients who are on a budget.

Comment

Quality is never inexpensive. Pat yourself on the back and know that you do quality work.

Comment

Its just like when new clients call complaining about their current groomer and how awful the quality and customer service is. They want to know how much you charge because they've heard wonderful things about you, or they see a dog you've groomed that was beautiful. When you tell them how much their response is always, "but my regular groomer only changes half of that! Why are you so expensive!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmellow View Post
                  So today I had a local groomer ring asking to speak to me asking me about my prices what services do I offer products I use , styles I do etc which I was fine with. I'm confident enough in my own abilities and with my standard of grooming that I'm happy to discuss this with other groomer. I don't have any discounts only a prescription shampoo bath and brush only for clients who book it weekly any longer than 2 weeks its full price any way I digress..... She fully slatted me over my grooming prices! Saying she's surprised I've any clientele as she charges less than half of what do and she's booked to capacity. I explain that I use high quality products include nails and ear cleaning/ plucking glands by a nurse if needed a free 6 month nurse health check which new clients also get the pets are fluff dried and reasonable demattimg I also offer a wide variety of styles from breed groom to owners specifications to short back and sides I also groom cats and rabbits and aggressive dogs. I went on to explain she needs to charge clients what she needs to to make for overheads etc which is why I charge what I charge. She went on to there's no need for dog shampoo when super market value does the same job. I decided to end the call there as she was getting rather nasty by saying my pricing structure is my buisness and that I no longer wish to continue the conversation. She called me a money grabbing ***** who had no business grooming. GAH ! First time I had something happen like this I don't regret for my prices being where they are nor am I apologising for them, not cheap but not exceedingly expensive and I put out some very nice groom's. I just felt she was rude. I groom maybe 4/5 dogs a day with days I've only 1or2 . thanks for listening and letting me vent ......again x
                  The nerve, laugh it off.

Comment

Marshmellow, stay strong and keep grooming at YOUR price Besides, what is her interest in your prices and how you run your business, anyway, it's not like you undercutting her and taking her customers away, right? Just ignore her, block her number so you don't waste any more time on her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks everyone for letting me vent , I've never had to justify my prices to another groomer before, yes to the clients saying my current groomer charges x amount why don't you and I educate them as to why I'm expensive in comparison but from now on I'll taking wild4westies advise on how to deal with this in future so thank you again !

Comment

That is utterly insane. Who does something like that?

Comment

Marshmallow, only you know your overhead and what you need to charge to operate your business and make a living. You do not have to justify this to any one, especially another groomer. We all have other groomers calling & cking prices; but for this woman to continue this conversation with you, wow!! Would hv politely said this conversation is over, hv a nice day - click!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I heard about a groomer that sent a postcard to all the groomers in her area her prices are posted on her website, please don't call. I don't know about that method though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Clean Puppy View Post
                              I heard about a groomer that sent a postcard to all the groomers in her area her prices are posted on her website, please don't call. I don't know about that method though.

Unless this groomer had reason to believe that these specific groomers were harassing him or her, this sounds unnecessarily hostile and passive aggressive.

But then sometimes I can be unnecessarily hostile and passive aggressive. In keeping with the theme of this thread, I can't hardly find the words to express how much I loathe the idea of validating my prices and generally won't do it. I don't compare myself to others; what others do or don't do has no bearing on what I do or how I set my prices. However, one particularly pushy couple came in earlier this week and interrogated me. Like grilled me hard. First, I am not taking new clients to begin with. Still, they went on and on to complain about the high price of grooming. And of course they were "those" people, exceptionally needy, demanding, and had a long list of demands that would need to be met by a new groomer which already wasn't going to be me from the start.

But anyway, they would not leave and continued to harp about the high price of grooming and my prices being exceptionally high. The only validation I finally offered was that I am pretty passionate about eating and living indoors and having things. If I resent having to validate my prices to people to begin with, I doubly resent the notion that careers that are perceived to be women's jobs are basically hobbies for bored housewives, and the notion that we should be doing it for some sense of satisfaction or for love of dogs or whatever other reason that means we are less valuable than they are and should subsidize other people's choice to have pets. Because if one more person tells me, "but I am just a poor whatever on a fixed income.." Maybe I am a grooming Scrooge, but you know what's free? Not owning pets that need extensive grooming. Because I am not martyring myself and jeopardizing my own financial security to save someone else's, especially people who have made it clear that I am of little value to them.

And the groomers willing to play that role! With your local ads that state all the ways you try to keep prices down because, golly gee, you just love dogs and understand times are tough. You have fun with that. I am absolutely unashamed to say that I like having a decent standard of living. And another so called professional coming at me about it... just no. I wish somebody would try me like that. You can hang a sign and name yourself Grooming Martyr all you want. Leave me a stack of your cards and I'll be more than thrilled to send the bargain hunters your way. I put my charity efforts into rescue and will happily provide discounted and free services for some of my loyal clients who have fallen on hard times. But people coming at me like they are entitled to subsidized pet care at my expense, like it's my job to take the financial hit so they can have high maintenance pets? GTFOH.

Thankfully, I don't usually feel like I need to respond at all beyond stating prices and standing by it. Just this couple, ugh. Would. Not. Leave. And I stopped short of just throwing them out. "I'm pretty passionate about dogs AND not being hungry and homeless." That seemed to do the trick. And was probably unnecessarily hostile and passive aggressive. Oh well, I'll try to be a better person tomorrow.

I will probably rant about this every time it comes up. I guess it is probably my biggest grooming peeve. I love dogs and I love my loyal people and I love having a decent standard of living. I do not see why any of these things have to be mutually exclusive.

Comment

Working...
                              X