Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on building salon buisnrss and building up clients

Morning all ,I hope your OK.
    I really hope some one can either help me outright or direct me to what I'm looking for.

So I've been at my job now for about 18 months and I still cannot get my clients to commit to rebooking their next appointment or block book .
    I work in a vets and clients are able to get an appointment on the same day with a vet or nurse and because of this my grooming clients expect it to be more or less the same for grooming only to get upset when they have to wait a week or more for the next appointment.
    I always offer to rebook their next appointment while they are here but a fair amount will refuse.
    I am still trying to build up business for the salon but its hard going as I have to run everything past the practice director.
    What I would love to have is a fairly upscale salon that is moderately priced for my area but at the moment it feels like I'm bearly treading water with it. Don't gete wrong the salon is doing well enough to make double my wage each month but there's so much potential for it to do better.
    I want to be able to make a VIP club where clients pay x amoumt each monthget a modest discount and plenty of grooming benifits and to have pick of the grooming appointments but I've no idea on how to implimemt something like this.i would also love to have some kind of spa range eventually but again I've no idea where to start please help !

If this is in the wrong place please move it to where ever its supposed to be
    Thanks all in advance !

There are a number with more experience on this board who will give you thoughts, but 6 years ago I was going through what you are.
    First, relax. Your clients at a vetvare different than high end salon clients. These folks have been trained and conditioned one way and you want to set new rules snd practices. It will take a long time for that - and many won't oblige. Work on training the ones who get it rather than the others. This is your solid base.

Not knowing your area or physical layout you may never get a 'boutique' salon set up where you are. You have a clientele coming in with dogs that have been sick - from either end- and the clients want them cleaned. I suggest you use this to build your 'mini groom ' business and bathe and freshen as many of these as you can each time it's requested - at least in the beginning. Build your base and your personal rep by 'being there for the pet'.

Booking ahead takes patience snd training. I have some who book regular visits months ahead, then change the week of the appointment because life happens. The only times I'm absolutely firm about these is for the holidays or when I'm going to shorten my day for personal reasons. And even then you'll still have flaky regulars who bdg you to 'squeeze them in'.

As for the subscription aspect. I've never had it work for me. There are too many shops and mobiles around to demand that type of exclusivity ----- and frankly, I'm a pet groomer not Irina Pinkusevich or Jay Scruggs, and Itza on this board blows my socks off. I'm proud of my work and have a good community reputation but I also know that there are others around who can do much the same as I do. I've found that rather than demand total devotion I have a couple places / groomers I try to suggest it it will be more convenient for clue t travel or scheduling needs, and these shops do the same for me.

There's a lot more to natter on about but read what others suggest snd chart your own course. You're the me they will have to implement and work it. Looking forward to hearing what others chime in with.

Comment

Thankyoy forvr replying,
      As I said I'm just trying to get ideas the practice I work is a very small one and we don't get many that are hospitalized, in the 18 month there were only 2 , both ended up being euthanized, one with parvo the other had cellulitus (so?) on its leg . I do offer all clients on prescription shampoo a weekly bath and dry only at a greatly reduced price to help owners treat the dogs skin but only one has taken me up on it just feeling really disheartened right now that's all

Comment

I also work at a vet clinic. Started out with my own shop and did build some clientele that way. Now, I book at least a month out. You need to relax first off. I have an ad in a local phone book. Word of mouth has been my best friend. It does take awhile to gain the respect for clients to rebook with you. I have some who rebook every 6 weeks for the entire year. Again life happens and sometimes they will cancel their standing appointments but will usually opt for a different date. I work in a clinic where the last two groomers were mediocre at best. When potential clients see the job I've done on dogs in for grooming, that is when they in turn book their pooches in. I don't offer any discounts to anybody as I feel that it in turn makes me look desperate for work. The job you do on a dog speaks volumes, the clients leaving happy speaks volumes to other people. Take a deep breath and remember tomorrow is another day[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Hang in there....it takes time to build your business. Client referrals, my business location(signage) & website are how most of my customers come to me. Some weeks I don't hv time to eat and then this week I had several openings. I do not offer any discounts either....once you open that door, that expectation is there. Do your very best on every dog you groom, and as Hucksmom said, those customers will refer others to you![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It took three years at my shop before people started booking ahead. It was just a matter of me becoming so busy it would take them three weeks to get an appointment. After a couple of times of calling when the dog was due, and having to wait three plus weeks, they finally got it.

In my mobile it took far less. Because I couldn't even take new clients after 16 months.

Just be patient, it will happen.

Comment

Just like cockerlvr said, it could take a while to have people pre-booking. When I first started my salon, and tried to book next appointment, most of them will agree and then never show up, even after me calling and talking to them the day before! Now as I am busy, most of my customers pre-book next appointment, and during my busy times they book 3-4 at a time. For new customers, who said they liked the groom and will be back, I tell them "you can book your next appointment now, or call later, but be sure you call 2-3 weeks before you need it", this usually makes them book right there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks every one I guess I'm feeling low at the no.ent and still having day s where no one books is getting to me so thank you all for your reassurances x

Comment

Did you sign up for Thumbtack too?

Comment

When I first started out some days I only had one or two dogs.
                      None hour skills. Practice new things on the dogs of the hospital staff and let those animals help advertise for you.
                      Attend doc related events hosted by local shelters and rescues. Go to organizations and local dvhoolsschools doing fundraisers and see if you can include a groom as a raffle item or like item.

Comment

Did you read the from problems to profits book, they have a scheduling method besides standing appointment that works good.

Comment

No I haven't , I dindnt even know such a book existed ! Where would I be able to get a copy ?????

Comment

Originally posted by TootsiePie View Post
                            Did you read the from problems to profits book, they have a scheduling method besides standing appointment that works good.
                            I did and wish they had a video on it.

Comment

Originally posted by TootsiePie View Post
                              One of the best things the place where I used to work did. If I had my own place I would do the AB Option.

Comment

Working...
                              X