No maintenance plan, no service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No maintenance plan, no service

I made a new groomer friend, she has a small shop with a couple employees. For the last 3 years she takes no new customers unless they signup for a maintenance plan, meaning they must come in at least every 8 to 12 weeks depending upon coat types and services. She says it works for her and this means lots easier grooms every day.

Anyone tried this?

Yes. I know people who do this but they don't go that long they do 4 or 6 weeks. Tumi 12 weeks is too long for most dogs and eight weeks is a regular groom that's not a maintenance
    <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
      Yes. I know people who do this but they don't go that long they do 4 or 6 weeks. Tumi 12 weeks is too long for most dogs and eight weeks is a regular groom that's not a maintenance
      Agreed.

Comment

I agree, 8-12 weeks is not maintenance. 10 weeks is overgrowth, in my opinion.

Comment

Oops I meant 4 to 6 weeks for styling pets, and the 8 to 12 is for short coated bath dogs no styling.

Comment

Originally posted by Particentral View Post
            ^^^^this^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is sort of what I do. It is a requirement that they stay on a schedule only in the sense that if they don't, it is unlikely that I will be able to get them back in because I stay booked with people who do stay on a schedule. Several people have tried it, scheduling and then not staying on schedule and then trying to get back in, and they couldn't do it only because I genuinely have nowhere to put them. Too many other people willing to keep a maintenance schedule.

I don't have any specific requirements with regard to time other than some general guidelines. I am cool with 12 week intervals for easy maintenance dogs even if that does have them overgrown. What I won't do, for example, is demat a matted mess every couple of months or so. You'll either need to schedule more frequent intervals to keep that longer cottony coat or be ok with buzzdowns.

I do love having mostly well maintained easy dogs.

Comment

Well......most established mobile groomers all have their clients on a tight grooming schedule.......Jag Scruggs once told his audience that he requires all of his clients to be on a 4 week grooming schedule or they get dropped. All of my clients are on a 2-8 week schedule with a pair of beagles every 12 weeks.

Happy being on schedule

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Most of my maintenance clients come in anywhere from 3-6 weeks. That to me is maintenance in the true sense of the word. It's always nice to work on these dogs, as you know the dog, and they can usually be done in an hour or so. A lot of my bath dogs are anywhere from 6-10 weeks which is doable also. The ones that don't rebook have come to realize that if they don't rebook it can take anywhere from 3 months + before I can fit them in. I do quite a few shave downs, especially in the spring because of this unwillingness to rebook sooner. Anything over 10-12 weeks is not maintenance in my books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maintenance for us is 4 to 6 weeks, but I agree a slick short coated dog would be OK with us up to 10 weeks.

Comment

We don't take dogs unless they are groomed every 1-6 weeks. Works for us.

Comment

I know this plan works - however, around here, it would go over like a lead balloon. Most of our grooms are 8 weeks, mostly small long coated breeds. The big hairies, unfortunately, are usually on a 12-16 week schedule. Prices reflect that.

Comment

Because I have staff this is not as critical an issue. If I was a groomer working alone and not just starting out, yep would love it.

Comment

Working...
                          X