Grooming a pregnant dog ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming a pregnant dog ??

Soooo .... Today I had a client book for grooming at the end of the month while he was in today to see the vet for a health check . turns out the dog in question is about 3weeks pregnant now I said I won't do a full groom on her in case I set of early labor or something worse ... Would you offer to just do a dry sani trim just to tide her over until she can have a proper groom ? In my 9 years I've never come across thus situation please help !!!oh and I've cancelled her full groom appointment .... Forgot to mention that

I would and always have done a full groom on a pregnant dog if that is what the client wants. Never did the dog or I have an issue.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmellow View Post
      Soooo .... Today I had a client book for grooming at the end of the month while he was in today to see the vet for a health check . turns out the dog in question is about 3weeks pregnant now I said I won't do a full groom on her in case I set of early labor or something worse ... Would you offer to just do a dry sani trim just to tide her over until she can have a proper groom ? In my 9 years I've never come across thus situation please help !!!oh and I've cancelled her full groom appointment .... Forgot to mention that
      Oh man, this reminds me of the people who brought in the mom and dad dogs... The mother was still nursing and I did a full groom on her .... Apparently the puppies were just starting to open their eyes so I was wondering why the mom wasn't still with them. But yeah, I don't think I'd groom a pregnant dog - too many things that could happen

Comment

I'm with Cyn. I've groomed dogs that were within days of having pups....no problems

What I do refuse is to groom the moms until the pups are on solid food. I don't think a mom should be away from her pups while they are still only nursing. They need to be eating some gruel at least.

Comment

So you would just let them be nasty (maybe flea ridden) and not clean them up for birthing? The dog is not sick, just pregnant. Last one I did was due in 4 days.....she delivered right on time with 8 healthy pups.
          As for the nursing dog....the pups just opening their eyes were old enough for mom to be gone for a while.
          Just use common sence and no chemicals.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
            I would and always have done a full groom on a pregnant dog if that is what the client wants. Never did the dog or I have an issue.
            I've done it many time without issue. I've also done maternity clips within day of giving birth .

Scott

Comment

Yeah, you are worrying over a non issue. You will not set off labor. You probably at 7 weeks barely notice and think the dog may have gained weight from eating if the client didn't tell you otherwise. The nipples will be a sure sign.

But my question is how does the vet know she's 3 weeks pregnant? There's no pregnancy test except for the first ultrasound at around 4 weeks. He must be very good to detect pups by 3 weeks.

Comment

Non-issue IMO

Comment

I am probably one of the most paranoid, neurotic, safety obsessed people ever, like sometimes I can just feel all the eyes rolling around at me over some of the things I freak out about, but I do pregnant dogs right up to just about due with some exceptions. I am more hesitant to do pregnant dogs that are typically super stressed, anyway. Like I might still get those super nervous & wiggy dogs in, but they may get a short n' sweet session that involves a basic bath & brush with sani and nursing trim and not necessarily a full meal deal. I'll still take them, though.

Comment

Thanks every one for your responses .... I'll haven't a chat with the owner today and see what they want as I said I personally have never come across this situation and I want go do what's best for mum and unborn babies x

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmellow View Post
                      Thanks every one for your responses .... I'll haven't a chat with the owner today and see what they want as I said I personally have never come across this situation and I want go do what's best for mum and unborn babies x
                      I would groom a dog that I know and have groomed regularly if they were pregnant, but I would not book a pregnant dog that I don't know. I am too chicken and would be worried that if they are normally very nervous for grooming it would stress them out too much. It's not worth the risk to me. You have to follow your gut instinct and do only what you are comfortable with.

Comment

I had a client who was a breeder only time she had me come were when she was taking them to the stud and when it was time to start showing people the puppies. Occasionally she had me come right before they gave birth. No problems (other then the dogs were a complete mess) I have since grooming for them as I just can't condone that they breed pups over and over and over again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

It amazes me in my career that I have had owners not know their dogs were pregnant until I mentioned it.

Comment

Pfft.....some don't even know if their pet is male or female.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                              Pfft.....some don't even know if their pet is male or female.
                              True! I had one customer who thought their male was a female dog with a huge hernia on its belly. Never have I ever just been stunned into silence so quickly. There just were no words.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X