Dogs that are not housebroken yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs that are not housebroken yet.

Have a little headache from clients and their dogs. One client has two Yorkies/a boy and a girl, around two years olds and fixed months ago. And another client who has two ShihTzu girls/2-3 years old and not fixed. They are not housebroken at all. They wear diapers. They poop and pee not only once, but many times in the kennel, in the tub, and on the table(while drying). Both clients leave diapers with them. I am tired of cleaning dogs and kennel/ table over and over. Already talked out about to train their dogs but they seem look like clueless. What can I do? I really feel frustrated when I think of them. Any advice is appreciated

It's not normal for dogs to pee and poop over and over in a short length of time. They're either freaky scared or they may have a medical problem. If that isn't the case, I would ask the owner to withhold any food after midnight, and limit their water before groom appt. Hope you're charging an extra clean-up fee (first mess free, but charge after that).
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Thank you for your replying. I, too, think that they may have health issues. It's not normal to relieve many times while being in the shop. Just additional information. I observed the yorkie(male) once how he does in the kennel. He just hiked his legs every 10 seconds no matter what he was empty. I don't think they both are scared, just parents failed to train. Especially Yorkies were taught to go potty in the crate in the house because they were busy!!?? They were already kicked out of other places before. They were crazy. Last place two groomers held them but couldn't do anything so sent home without anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mypoketa View Post
        Thank you for your replying. I, too, think that they may have health issues. It's not normal to relieve many times while being in the shop. Just additional information. I observed the yorkie(male) once how he does in the kennel. He just hiked his legs every 10 seconds no matter what he was empty. I don't think they both are scared, just parents failed to train. Especially Yorkies were taught to go potty in the crate in the house because they were busy!!?? They were already kicked out of other places before. They were crazy. Last place two groomers held them but couldn't do anything so sent home without anything.
        That is male marking behavior. Its not that hes sick its NORMAL MALE BEHAVIOR that untrained males exhibit. I keep those dogs with a belly band on in my shop and solid sided cages with a grate. If they weer taught to use a crate then ask if they are using pee pads. If so, place a pad in a bigger crate and see
        <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

I have a few males like that. I take them for a walk and let them pee til nothing comes out. After they are dry I put a belly band on them. Females well that's a different story. My suggestion would be to charge a speedy service and have owners come 10 mins before they are done. I had a shih tzu that no matter what she would poop as soon as I put her in the kennel after completing. She was mad and knew it was time to go. Just a fit. Discuss with client and give her 1 more shot. If not it is not worth the frustration and she should hire a mobile groomer.

Comment

The owners clearly are feeding the dogs and not making sure they've gone before they come in.

There are a couple things I would do. Tell them not to feed the dogs in the morning before they come in. If you have a place to walk them do it. Put them on towels when they are done.

I used to have three dogs that were issues when I had a shop. One boy who hiked his leg, so I just put towels down under his crate (I had free standing wire) and in his crate and just let him pee till his heart was content.

The girl would ALWAYS pee when she was done. Usually the owner came before her pickup time, but if not I just put a towel down and let her pee on that.

The third a cocker who pooped. I finally worked out a thing for him, once he was blown out in the tub, which was his trigger out he would go for a walk. He'd poop and we would continue on with the groom without incident. If I didn't walk him or I should say before I figured it out, he would poop a little, we'd clean it up, poop a little clean it up. He didn't really WANT to be pooping it was a nerve thing. When I let him walk he'd get rid of it all and it was good.

Comment

Chronic ones? I agree, I advise the owner to skip breakfast, come in early, out early, then feed the pet, and I walk them first. Pickup ASAP. I kept one in a holding cage near me lined with towels or pads so I could keep an eye on him, and again, get the home right after grooming. I found owners to be sympathetic and understanding.

Comment

Thanks all for great advice! I'm a very straightforward person and always tell or suggest most of clients if I have concerns/problems with dogs. Fortunately most are understanding situations and very helpful. I tried all above as suggested before and I decided to continue to take care of Yorkies with solutions above since the client is very cooperative with my suggestions. However, Shihz mom was(husband was just listening to our conversation and nodding) very defensive and trying to make the situation as my fault. I suggested her to go somewhere else that has more than one groomer so dogs can go in/out asa they are done, or a mobile groomer for the same reason.

Comment

Working...
                X