I messed up :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I messed up :(

So, I'm a grooming apprentice, and yesterday I was doing a deshed. He was a lovely Sheltie boy, very beautiful. He didn't make a peep the entire time. I was using a deshedding blade while blowing him out. After that my trainer came over to coach me and noticed blood on the back of his legs, where the large tufts of hair on their backside starts to thin out to his back legs. Apparently, I am too comfortable with the blade, having deshedded my own husky with no problems several times. But for the Sheltie, I used the blade with too much force and scratched him with it. I almost cried and felt HORRIBLE immediately. I mean he made no sounds or flinches or anything! I mean I wasn't digging in his skin, but the blade was sharper than I thought. I raked my hand across it and saw how sharp it was and felt even worse. I should have done that before the deshed. It was very discouraging. I mean, what am I doing learning to groom if I can't even do a deshed right??? Well, my trainer said it was good that I felt bad, because it will stick with me and make me cautious in the future. She said everyone makes mistakes, but I feel making mistakes like that at a dog's expense is almost too much.

Fortunately, today was better. Keeping the Sheltie in my mind, I did two desheds with less force. Instead of the deshedding blade I used a Furminator. Mind you they were shorter haired dogs, so I didn't feel the need to use the blade like I do on a double coat. Next time I have I longer haired or a double coated dog, I will keep this in mind and be careful, because not every dog will let you know if he's hurt.

I still feel horrible.

I double posted, lol

One of the admins can delete my latest post. (Or tell me how) Because I thought my previous post had been deleted due to naming where I work... but turns out it wasn't deleted, it just hadn't shown up yet. (So today I reposted, and then saw my other post LOL. So how to delete a post? Hehe.

Comment

Don't lose that feeling, always imagine what it's like and I highly recommend every new groomer get some hair extensions then neglect them and have to get dematted. It will give you new insight on how the skin hurts after even gentle dematting or pulling on coat

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

PS, using that blade was not deshedding, it was cutting through coat. Big difference and it will show in the texture of the coat and even cause matting eventually

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
          I highly recommend every new groomer get some hair extensions then neglect them and have to get dematted. It will give you new insight on how the skin hurts after even gentle dematting or pulling on coat

I think every new Doodle owner has to go through this, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ItzaClip! View Post
            PS, using that blade was not deshedding, it was cutting through coat. Big difference and it will show in the texture of the coat and even cause matting eventually

So we arent supposed to use a deshedding blade? I mostly use a greyhound comb to get out undercoat but my trainer taught me to use the blade while blowing out undercoat with a force dryer after washing and using the Simple Shed Solution we use

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by huskylover103 View Post
              So we arent supposed to use a deshedding blade? I mostly use a greyhound comb to get out undercoat but my trainer taught me to use the blade while blowing out undercoat with a force dryer after washing and using the Simple Shed Solution we use

I do all of my descends with a brush and comb. Doing it while force drying with a shedding blade is an accident waiting to happen.
              <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

How I deshed: I brush before the bath with an undercoat rake (rounded teeth, double row) and a slicker brush (lightly). Then I blow out well with a nozzle and use the two aforementioned brushes again, finishing off with a Kong zoom groom. I don't set and brush the same spot or use excessive force.

Don't feel too bad, sometimes you slip and nick or scratch a dog and it sucks. I've worked as a bather for 2 years now and only recently cut a dog for the first time while trying to dematt a tail with a curve in the tip. I dematt at least one tail a day and became too comfortable with the tool. I caught the tip of the poor things tail with the last blade and went half way through. He didn't even flinch or whimper. He should have had that last 1/4" to 1/2" removed but the owners tried to save it, neglected it, and caused the whole damn thing to be amputated. I've been very carefully with the dematter since that day and from now on I'm sure you'll be more careful with your deshedding blade.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info, and yes, will def be more careful!

Comment

Working...
                  X