Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is obtaining a job in January realistic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is obtaining a job in January realistic?

If I attend the school I am looking into, I will graduate at the end of December, which puts a damper on job hunting! I guess I should go ahead and attend, what is the point in waiting just for that reason? Do you think finding a job in January will be a long shot. If it helps, I'll be in northern Florida.

Thank you!

Originally posted by Sweets2005 View Post
    If I attend the school I am looking into, I will graduate at the end of December, which puts a damper on job hunting! I guess I should go ahead and attend, what is the point in waiting just for that reason? Do you think finding a job in January will be a long shot. If it helps, I'll be in northern Florida.

Thank you!
    I did it! I went to school last September and graduated in December and when I was nearing my graduation date I started applying to jobs and got one right after new year's. It's not impossible, good luck

Comment

It's not impossible, but one thing they won't tell you in grooming school is that a lot of mom and pop shops won't hire groomers right out of school. I tell anyone that wants to get into grooming to try petsmart. They train you AND give you a job. and it's full training too. 3 of my groomers went this route and now can get a job anywhere they want.

Comment

I have nothing against Pet smart training, I think it's great, but I am unable to commit to their schedule for two years. I want to open my own shop but in the meantime work for someone else. I would be willing to give a year commitment to start.

How possible is it to get a job in mid November? I'm thinking of waiting until late next summer to begin. A groomer told me I could make my tuition back by the new year, is that even realistic?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweets2005 View Post
          I have nothing against Pet smart training, I think it's great, but I am unable to commit to their schedule for two years. I want to open my own shop but in the meantime work for someone else. I would be willing to give a year commitment to start.

How possible is it to get a job in mid November? I'm thinking of waiting until late next summer to begin. A groomer told me I could make my tuition back by the new year, is that even realistic?
          I feel the same way about the big box stores and their hours... Also have heard mixed things about them. I got lucky with my job actually. Im by myself at the back of a pet store, I make my own appointments, make my own schedule, and get paid a decent amount per hour. Although I do wish I hadn't jumped right into working... I think maybe shadowing a groomer or helping out by bathing or something would have been the better option since I'm still new and have a lot to learn.

Comment

I think you can get a job fresh out of school if you have the confidence. I've had two and I'm still IN school LOL! The first one was a nightmare, and the second one has been better, but not optimal. As for getting a job in January, I think it is a better time than December. No one wants to be training new employees around the Christmas rush. I don't know if it applies to grooming businesses, but in the legal field which I am from, firms analyze their financial positions in December and spend down expenses for the period for tax purposes. They are then able to determine whether they can afford to expand, or will have to reduce or stay status quo. Many professional fields operate this way and do their hiring in January after the holiday laziness and vacations are over.

Another thought is that you can try and get a part-time job in the field NOW as a bather. You'll have your foot in the door, have people you can bounce questions off of, possibly gain a mentor, and decide whether that place is one you'd like to stay at or not. And if you haven't been in the field at all before, you'll get a good taste of what it's like and whether it really is for you or not. We've had people drop out of grooming school because it wasn't as easy as they expected it to be.

Good luck!

Comment

It's Florida- in the height of tourist season. Most shops are busier then than they are during the summer. You shouldn't have a problem finding employment in January.
              However , you should heed the previous comments about getting yourself a foot in the door now rather then after finishing your classes.

Comment

I have had job openings in January. I agree that even while in school you can sometimes get some bathing experience.

Comment

Me too I have hired in January, we don't have harsh winters here if that makes a difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X