Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite pet hair vacuum for home

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Favorite pet hair vacuum for home

    I am in the market for a new Vacuum for home for both carpet and hard surfaces. Other than the Dyson, any suggestions? Thank you!!!

  • #2
    I like my Shark. I think it's the Navigator. They have tons of suction and are very affordable vs. Dyson.

    Comment


    • #3
      Why not a Dyson Brit? I have 4 dogs, and will never use anything else. Doesn't clog, doesn't quit.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Hucksmom View Post
        Why not a Dyson Brit? I have 4 dogs, and will never use anything else. Doesn't clog, doesn't quit.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I wondered the same thing......we have a Dyson animal, never stops up, never quits. Easy to clean as well. We have 3 dogs, but I think I bring in more dog hair on my clothes than they shed, lol.
        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have a Simplicity that is 10 years old and a Riccar which is 16 years old. Don't get anything by their hoses or up it goes. The things still suck like the day I bought them. Not cheap, but I used to go through vacuums at least once a year. I finally decided to invest in an expensive one (two), and it paid off. I have two because we used to have a two story house and I just didn't want to haul vacuums up and down stairs.

          Comment


          • #6
            For our lives and profession it doesn't pay to try and save by going for s cheaper product of - often - lesser quality. Cheaper generally means you'll be replacing it more often.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi, thanks for comments. I knew Dyson was top rated but there are models by others equally rated http://vacuumcleanersv.com/pet-hair/ included the Lift Away and Miele is a tad under. So was just curious. http://vacuumcleanersv.com/pet-hair/

              Comment


              • #8
                I just retired my dyson animal (it smelled very 'doggy' when vacuuming) and went with the Sebo D4. It's amazing how much dirt the dyson was leaving in my carpets. Has great suction, and has a decent warranty.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by houla09 View Post
                  I just retired my dyson animal (it smelled very 'doggy' when vacuuming) and went with the Sebo D4. It's amazing how much dirt the dyson was leaving in my carpets. Has great suction, and has a decent warranty.
                  Did you keep the filters clean in the Dyson? Have had ours 3yrs, wash filters every couple of weeks and wipe out canister.....not a dog smell at all. Now my shop vacc for salon, lol, I clean filters daily and rinse out the tub portion of it and it can sometimes smell doggy.
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Washable filters were washed/changed every time I vacuumed (I have 5 backup filters) -also changed internal hepa filter 2X a year. I would take the roller bar assembly apart and remove wads of hair (I have 2 short haired dogs). Just tired of the whole mess for the last year. Dyson was 9 years old, and I decided the replacement would be a bagged system with a good filter system.

                    Looked at both the Miele and the Sebo. Both are made in Germany, and yes both are expensive, but imo well worth the money. My husband noticed the difference the 1st time I used the new vacuum, commented on how the carpet felt fluffier, and cleaner. Less dust around too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Vacuum cleaners have been the bane of my existence since I was old enough to have my own home and needed my own vacuum. I have had every cheap and mid range vacuum on the market. I even bought one of those fancy-pants more-$$$$-than-it's-worth Kirby machines. I hated it. With a passion so deep that it routinely took every ounce of strength I could muster not to hurl that heavy beast of my big bay window. Hate, hate, hated it. It's currently disemboweled deep in one of my closets. I have no idea if I'm just ridiculously hard on vacuums which is why they die so quickly or what.

                      I eventually jumped on the Dyson bandwagon, but it was only because I got it about half price. I was not especially hopeful, but I needed yet another freaking vacuum anyway because I had killed another one. Again. It is the only vacuum ever that I have not hated. I keep the filters clean and occasionally have to cut the hair from around the beater bar, but it is several years old now, the only vacuum to ever make it that long, and still does a good job. It is super easy to DIY maintain and do minor repairs, no bags (never again going that route), has plenty of convenient on board attachments instead of the PITA disassembly and reassembly required to change anything on the Kirby. The Dyson pretty much snaps apart and snaps back together almost like a toy. I have cleaned filters and hoses, and on the off chance there's a clog, it's very easy to take apart to get to it. The only time I've had a clog is when I've neglected maintenance, though. I also love how it goes easily from thick carpet to hard floors. I have not had any stink issue with it, but I don't know if it's because I stay on top of filter maintenance or what. Unless I start reading a lotta lotta reviews saying they don't make them like this anymore, I would absolutely buy another Dyson.

                      The only other vacuum I know of that I would consider if Dyson were a no go for me would be a Miele just because so many of my friends who have them swear by them. They seem to get really high marks. But then they take bags, and that's a huge no for me in a future vacuum. I think they are also pretty pricy, too. But people who have them love them. Kirby, Rainbow, and every other vacuum on any store shelf can suck it. But only figuratively since they suck at sucking in the literal sense.

                      Maybe I set the bar low for vacuums because "don't hate it" was as much as I've ever hoped for, and Dyson is the only one for me to ever rise even slightly beyond "don't hate it." I actually kind of like the thing. So here's me singing Dyson praises from my seat on this bandwagon. It beats the handbasket to vacuum hell which is where I spent over half my life.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by houla09 View Post
                        Washable filters were washed/changed every time I vacuumed (I have 5 backup filters) -also changed internal hepa filter 2X a year. I would take the roller bar assembly apart and remove wads of hair (I have 2 short haired dogs). Just tired of the whole mess for the last year. Dyson was 9 years old, and I decided the replacement would be a bagged system with a good filter system.

                        Looked at both the Miele and the Sebo. Both are made in Germany, and yes both are expensive, but imo well worth the money. My husband noticed the difference the 1st time I used the new vacuum, commented on how the carpet felt fluffier, and cleaner. Less dust around too.
                        Well,.a nine yr old vacuum is pretty old, so I can see why it might not be up to running it's best.....even though you were taking care of it. Vacuum cleaners are like anything else......new technology every yr.
                        Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cyn View Post
                          Well,.a nine yr old vacuum is pretty old, so I can see why it might not be up to running it's best.....even though you were taking care of it. Vacuum cleaners are like anything else......new technology every yr.
                          I believe we got as much mileage from the dyson as we could. Just hate spending $$ on a new one, - and hope the new one lasts for a good long time

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have a Miele for about 4 years, mostly gift in that I got a bunch of gift cards put toward it. Pretty awesome.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ooh some new choices I didn't know about. Have fun choosing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X