Have you ever cut a dog???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever cut a dog???

Was just curious how mnay have cut a dog or cat??? My 1st time happened today it was very small but very upsetting for the dog and i..poor thing..he is okay tho it wasn't serious but I hate when bad things happen.

I started as a bather at a corp salon and then after thirty days, I went to training to be a groomer. I had problems with a tendon in my scissoring hand that had gone unnoticed until that point and I was working under a brand new trainer. I cut three dogs during my training. All ears because I didn't have good shear control. They almost turned me away. I've since had surgery and I have much better control. I have cut the odd dog or two since then and it is heartbreaking but I always tell the owner right away and they usually understand. It has always been a matted dog. I've never cut a dog with coat in good condition since training, but it's been a near thing at times with some yorkie and -poo nightmare puppies

Comment

Sometimes when you use sharp instruments on moving targets ACCIDENTS happen.
      But to answer your question, yes I have cut a dog or two before.....they were matted dogs when I was still in my 1st yr of grooming (long time ago). Did one today that was sooo badly matted, I just prayed I got it done without cutting him....and I did get the casted pelt off without a cut, but it was by the grace of God and a dog that realised I was trying to help him so he was still as a statue.
      You didn't do it on purpose, the dog has ready forgot about it.....so just learn from it and let it go.
      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

I have as well. The bane of my existence, rear dew claws. I partially took one off with a #7bl on a very, very badly matted dog. Didn't even realize the dog had rear dew claws, till I partially took it off. Quick vet surgery to completely remove it, I paid the bill of course, and lesson learned. It's never happened again. But, you are using sharp equipment around a moving target, stuff does happen from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Of course. Nothing that ever required sutures, but a handful of times in my decades long career.

Comment

Couple nicked tongues in 15 years.

Comment

I love the juxtaposition of this thread title with the next-

Have you ever cut a dog???
              Stop the killing!!

Comment

Think we've all nicked or cut a dog at some point.
                My first cut was one that almost mad me walk away. A 9 mo matted doodle (Bruno). Was trying to brush out and demat since that's what the owner wanted snd since I was too new to tell clients the realities of life. Almost done - was working on the pelted left rear leg using a mat splitter. Next thing I knew the table had blood on it. No sound from the dog but he had an almost 3 inch gash in his leg. The mat had twisted his young , loose skin into itself somehow. Took him right across the hall where he got cleaned up and stitched up - still never made a sound. Owners never made a complaint about the cut but they DID try to get his 2 week boarding for free. Go figure. Any how, I still do Bruno and his younger brother every other week since.
                Nicked a couple ears - again early in career - but am still anxious when trimming those.
                Had one dog wiggle snd bounce and run his foot over my scissors as I was opening them to trim his leg. He cut his pad a bit.
                And just had a geriatric Maltese decide after 6 years that she'd try to lick the scissors and see what tat was like. She got the edge of her tongue and it bled like crazy. Had to wait over an hour for that to stop so her face could be redone. ( didn't think the owner would like a white dog with a red muzzle)

Dogs move and wiggle. Our tools are sharp. That is a dangerous combination in the best of circumstances.

Comment

Anyone who grooms for any length of time will draw blood at some point...including me after 40 plus years of grooming.
                  Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Only a couple of nicks in 15 plus years but only one that required sutures which happened a few years ago.

I still don't know how it happened. I was trimming nails with those Millers Forge red-handled trimmers when I noticed the blood. It wasn't long before I realized it wasn't a nail that was bleeding, I had nearly severed a pad!

It still haunts me because I don't know how I could've done that without even realizing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedog View Post
                      Only a couple of nicks in 15 plus years but only one that required sutures which happened a few years ago.

I still don't know how it happened. I was trimming nails with those Millers Forge red-handled trimmers when I noticed the blood. It wasn't long before I realized it wasn't a nail that was bleeding, I had nearly severed a pad!

It still haunts me because I don't know how I could've done that without even realizing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      You didn't realize it because most dogs have such a high pain tolerance.....
                      Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Working...
                      X