while drying face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• while drying face

this is the 3rd time in 20 years this has happen. its always older dog...blow drying face and suddenly goes into screaming panic attack. Has this happen to anyone else?

Dryer siezer. I have 2 that do it...both are poodley things.
    Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

Cyn, is it a legit seizure? Screaming panic attack may just be that.

I'm a big fan of using common hair dryers on faces. Slower air and heat for a nice finish. Most can tolerate a hair dryer on the face. If that does't work, the cage dryer with some heat.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
        Cyn, is it a legit seizure? Screaming panic attack may just be that.

I'm a big fan of using common hair dryers on faces. Slower air and heat for a nice finish. Most can tolerate a hair dryer on the face. If that does't work, the cage dryer with some heat.
        More than likely it is a panic attack, I (and others here) call it a siezure. I know the 2 I groom are older dogs I have groomed since pups that were always great dogs to groom before they got older (12ish), they will both scream and poop untill the dryer is not just turned away from them but turned OFF completely. I have tried human dryers, stand dryer.....only way I get them dry in the face area is absorber towels and a fan, with faces clipped MUCH shorter to dry faster.
        Cyn
        Best in Show Member & Club 10,000
        Last edited by Cyn; 09-12-16, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I have to that does that. Never used to until her neighbor dog came through the fence and picked her up by her back. 1st time she backed out of noose flew out of the tub and ran around my small shop screaming bloody murder piss8ng and poopingvthe whole time. For 5 mins until she calmed down enough for me to towel her and grab her. Now she gets cotton plugging her ears and a full towel wrapped around her ears and jaws. She does fine that way. Otherwise no other dog

Comment

I think they are actual seizures myself. Not all seizures are fall over lose control of your limbs and shake.

This is when my stand dryer comes in handy. For some reason, they don't mind it.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
              I think they are actual seizures myself. Not all seizures are fall over lose control of your limbs and shake.

This is when my stand dryer comes in handy. For some reason, they don't mind it.
              I still tend to agree with you that it is a form of siezure....since it has only happened on dogs used to being groomed regularly their whole life....but a panic attack is a form of siezure, so who am I to say what it is........

Comment

Yep. Always seems to be older poodles, and not just when drying the face. If you pay attention, they get worked up/agitated before the screaming starts. Once the screaming starts, it could takes several seconds to several minutes before it stops. Holding the dog tight against your body seems to help.

If any older dog seems stressed or particularly anxious for the HV, we'll use the stand dryer or even kennel dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here, stand dryer at the slightest sign.

Comment

Watching for signs of stress, Obviously using a low setting or with a K 9 - one motor on the face, happy hoodies are great to have on hand incase you get a freaker like this, and for the love of DOG dont use a nozzle on the face!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Comment

They are actual seizures. https://www.google.ca/#safe=off&q=dryer+seizures

Comment

I've had 2 dogs do this. An elderly bichon and an elderly cocker. Both of these dogs were long time clients who were great with an HV-even on their faces. Stand and cage dry only after that. Seizure-Panic Attack? Guess it doesn't really matter what name you give it. It is what it is, and time to change your drying procedure.
                        Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

http://groomwise.typepad.com/groomin...-seizures.html
                          <a href="http://www.groomwise.typepad.com/grooming_smarter" target="_blank">My Blog</a> The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Comment

Exactly! The sound dosent bother them unless it is them being dried....but to get them to stop if they sieze while drying them you have to turn the dryer off. I have long thought it is the way the air is buffeting around their muzzle (or whole head) that creates the reaction....a dog may associate the noise when they sieze due to the buffeting only when it is them being dried.

Comment

I don't think the noise has much to do with it. Most of these elderly pets have lost their hearing. I think it's the force of air on their thinning skin that causes some of the problems. Never had any problems pre-HV drying.
                              Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X