Working at pet smart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working at pet smart

Hi ! Once I finish grooming school I'm looking to apply at pet smart . I was wondering what's it like working there ? Benefits , schedule , pay? Do they have someone who grooms and blow dries the dogs and the groomer just does everything else ?

Hi! Working at a corporate salon can have a lot of benefits as well as some things that can be trying, as well. You do NOT have a bather that does the bath/blow outs for you. Any pet assigned to a groomer for a haircut is done from start to finish by the groomer. You will also check in/out your pets including instructions and a full assessment.

Usually a groomer starting new at Corp will be working every single weekend and holiday as well as quite a few closing shifts where you get off at 9pm. You do get benefits through the company that you pay for out of each check and you get paid weekly. You start with 2 weeks paid vacation as well as a few sick days and I think one or two discretionary days. At 5 years, I believe, you get a third week of paid vacation.

Corp can be very stressful depending on the store and you will be micromanaged. It can be a great experience depending on the management team.

Comment

Forgot to mention that while you're working for PetSmart you cannot groom elsewhere part time. At least as far as I'm aware.

You will be required to perform a technical groom (usually a pattern or hand scissor) on a dog. I had to bring my own when I reapplied after being gone from corp for a while and applying at a new store.

Comment

Hey ! Thanks so much for the info ! From what I understood I know they have bathers there so I thought they bathed the dogs ! The schedule sounds pretty horrible but sounds like I will get a lot of experience working there so that's good

Comment

My schedule got better with some seniority.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda Pappas View Post
            Hey ! Thanks so much for the info ! From what I understood I know they have bathers there so I thought they bathed the dogs ! The schedule sounds pretty horrible but sounds like I will get a lot of experience working there so that's good
            BAthers are also paid a commision against an hourly and have their own dogs scheduled, bath dogs. Personally I feel the experience working at Corp really depends on the management team. But that can be said wherever you work. I do believe it can be a good place to get your feet wet first before you fully dive in so to speak. Good Luck!!!
            It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
            Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Enjoy your time there, I did corp for awhile and it was good background.

Comment

I've worked for corporate for 9 years, and it's not perfect, but I have it pretty good.

No, nobody bathes or preps for you, but if you have a good team, you will get some support. Reception, and cleaning is shared as well.

I get full benefits-medical, dental, basic life insurance, physio coverage, etc. Yes, the hours of operation are wide open, so there are a lot of hours to cover. That part never bothered me because I like being there when it's busy, so having weekdays off when the supermarkets are empty and it's easy to get a vet/doctor apt is totally fine for me. There's lots of opportunity to practice different styles. Most of the equipment is up to date (we have Shor-Line tables and new 30 amp 8 HP Metro dryers). I've had all kinds of different groomers mixed together in our room, and it works really well to have all the different sets of eyes.

Comment

I started in corp many years ago and appreciate the experience, nothing is perfect. Do you know how many applications I have on file from groomers who want to work for me to get out of their current NON corp workplaces? About 30. Criticizing corp alone or focusing on it really is not in balance. Just as many problems in lots of independents too. So I learned a lot at corp and mostly the best change for me was setting my days and hours MYSELF. In the meantime you learn a lot about working with others, and the public in corp and it will help later if you go it alone. Just enjoy it and see it as learning and experience and love the pets, keep a sense of humor.

Comment

Thankyou everyone for your great information ! I can't wait to get started

Comment

Working...
                    X