I have a situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a situation

Okay so as many of you know, I started grooming school last September and graduated in December then got a job in January.

I think this job is stressing me out too much. Between the clients who don't respect me and the dogs that scream and don't cooperate, I'm constantly anxious and dreading going to work. I haven't even been at this job for a year so I'll feel like a complete failure if I quit, but at the same time I'm concerned about my health. I'm anxious to begin with, but I feel like this job might be making things worse. I've got stomach problems and I'm not sure if it's from work or just everything in general, but I feel so stressed out.

How do you guys think I should go about all of this? My thoughts are to either stay until the end of the year, quit asap, or at least get all of my regulars back and tell them I'll be leaving...then leave once I've seen them all.

Any other advice you could give me is greatly appreciated. This situation is not helping my stress issue lol, but yeah.

Thank you all in advance

Edit: I have also called my grooming school asking if they have anyone graduating soon who might be interested in taking my place.

I've long said your situation sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't blame you a bit if you quit.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
      I've long said your situation sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't blame you a bit if you quit.
      I am definitely definitely quitting, I just don't know how/when

Comment

The bosses are really nice too, I haven't really had any issues with them... That's also why I'd feel bad leaving

Comment

you would probably be better working at petsmart for a while until you get more experience. It is a huge difference between grooming school and a shop... at least at pet smart they willingly turn down dogs that are too difficult, since they are in a fishbowl. I have three groomers that work for me now, and they will all tell you that Petsmart is a great place to learn your craft. can't say that the clients will be any better though, possibly worse.

Comment

Originally posted by barknfluff View Post
            you would probably be better working at petsmart for a while until you get more experience. It is a huge difference between grooming school and a shop... at least at pet smart they willingly turn down dogs that are too difficult, since they are in a fishbowl. I have three groomers that work for me now, and they will all tell you that Petsmart is a great place to learn your craft. can't say that the clients will be any better though, possibly worse.
            Yeah I mean I went to school for 3 months and graduated and everything and got a job on my own within a pet store. It's a pet store but in the back there's a tiny room for self wash/me so I just work back there on my own but my bosses don't like for me to turn people down

Comment

Originally posted by dmdogcare View Post
              The bosses are really nice too, I haven't really had any issues with them... That's also why I'd feel bad leaving
              I don't consider your bosses nice. Giving away your services free, forcing you to do dogs you really shouldn't be doing. That isn't nice. They have set the tone for the lack of respect you are getting at work IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                I don't consider your bosses nice. Giving away your services free, forcing you to do dogs you really shouldn't be doing. That isn't nice. They have set the tone for the lack of respect you are getting at work IMO.
                Well I didn't think of it that way... But I guess in other ways they'll buy me ALMOST anything I ask for... Doesn't make up for the respect though. Good point.

Comment

You have to do what's best for you. Look out for yourself first, cause no one else will. If your job is physically making you sick, it's time to pack up this chapter of your life and move on. A lot of us have the option of turning away difficult dogs, it's your right to do that, and your bosses, I'm betting they are not groomers, should back you up not get angry cause you turned one down. Like cockerlvr said, it's a lack of respect. I wish you well with whatever you decide to do[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah, girl, sounds like you have a burnout. Is it just you particular situation that you dread or grooming in general? Are there salons in the area, that might be willing to take you under their wing? Can you afford to take a break from grooming? I know few groomers who went on to do something else and few years later returned to grooming.
                    I was so not ready to go out on my own right after the school. I think we got very good training in grooming and handling dogs, but not customers. We never interacted with customers, never tried to figure out what exactly they want, etc. So I got hired by PetSomething and worked there for 3.5 years, and then I opened my own salon. (And you know what, being my own boss is great, and I have no - zero - customers that disrespect me. Some dogs are not perfect, some don't come as often as they should, but I don't dread going to work every day.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

And just like Hucksmom said, we can all give you advises, based on our own experience, but only you can make a decision for yourself and know what will work for you. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hucksmom View Post
                        You have to do what's best for you. Look out for yourself first, cause no one else will. If your job is physically making you sick, it's time to pack up this chapter of your life and move on. A lot of us have the option of turning away difficult dogs, it's your right to do that, and your bosses, I'm betting they are not groomers, should back you up not get angry cause you turned one down. Like cockerlvr said, it's a lack of respect. I wish you well with whatever you decide to do[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Yeah I think it's time to move on. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ABDG View Post
                          And just like Hucksmom said, we can all give you advises, based on our own experience, but only you can make a decision for yourself and know what will work for you. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

Thank you so much and you're right, at school we just get the dogs, groom em, and move onto the next without ever meeting with the customers and seeing how those interactions play out. The teachers tell you stories, but you never experience it first hand. I felt ready to be on my own and during the first couple of months it was rough. I'm going on my 9th month at my job and I'm just starting to get the hang of scheduling and whatnot, but the lack of respect from customers is ridiculous. They see that I'm a 20 year old girl and all their respect goes out the window. Nobody cares to be on time, I called someone today after half an hour of waiting and he insisted that his appt was for tm and not today... Last week he missed his appt bc he thought it was at 1:30, not 11:30. Liars. I also had a man say to my face, "do you actually know what you're doing or do you just say you do? I see you're new and young and I'm just wondering if you actually do have any experience or if you just tell people you do." I can't take it anymore. People don't even respect my days off. My co-workers will text me on Sundays and Mondays saying that so and so is demanding they speak with me. I think my best bet is to take a break from grooming to really try to figure myself out. I've started at a community college doing two classes for technical production - doing lighting for plays - so I won't be completely bored. I do eventually want to have my own grooming or daycare business... At least that's how I feel right now... But my current job is starting to make me dislike grooming and I don't want to completely hate it. I think it's just where I'm at that's making me feel so bad, but I think I need a change of pace. Just not sure how/when to give my two weeks and that's what I'm struggling with. I don't want to leave them without a groomer, I don't want to leave my regulars without a groomer, and I don't want people to think I'm a failure or a quitter for not sticking it out for at least a year.

Comment

Every morning I dread going because I never know who might call or walk in and give me attitude/problems. Usually those people have nasty dogs - they learn from their owners... I think I've got to take a break and learn how to manage my stress better then once I've calmed down and figured out what's causing my stomach problems - going for an upper endoscopy end of this month - I'll think about grooming again. I feel like if I quit I'm giving up an opportunity people would kill for. I make my own schedule, decide when I want to come in everyday, my boss only comes in on Wednesdays, and I get as many breaks as I want... And after a year of being there I get 2 weeks paid vacation. I got this job right out of school so am I just overreacting? People have also told me that when I told them I felt too stressed out... "Oh you just play with puppies all day it can't be that bad. You're overreacting"

Comment

You asked how/when you should quit. I would quit now. Give your two week notice. By quitting now, that will give your current place of employment time to find a replacement for the Christmas rush. And it will allow you enough time to find another job before the Christmas rush.

This is the time of year that department stores start looking for and training for the holiday season. Just mentioning that in case you want to take a break from grooming.

Good luck. Life is too short to stay in a job you hate. Find what makes you happy!

Comment

Working...
                              X