clipper for labs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clipper for labs

I have a friend that would like to buy a professional clipper like we use in our shops to shave her labs a few times a year. She would like to spend as little as possible obviously but wants something that will last. Any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Terri

First of all, why does she want to shave her labs? It doesn't keep them from shedding they just shed shorter. Labs already have short coats, and it's a double coat, so if you shave it off, it can destroy their hair in its entirety. However, if she is still intent on shaving them, Andis AGC 2 speed clippers would work fine, providing she gets a #7 blade. They come with a #10 blade which would be way too short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What do you use in your shop? Why don't you recommend the same?

I'm with Hucks. AGC Super/Ultra 2 can't really go wrong.

Comment

I love Andis AGC and I shave labs & many short haired dogs & cats including my own pug against the grain with a 5 blade. I will never understand the theory that you can shave anything but double coated dogs. What is the difference? It is all hair that grows from BELOW the skin. Old battle here never to be resolved & there is no scientific research available! Wish I could get a government grant because I would LOVE that! My pug & my aussie grow their hair back at the same rate as all the shihtzus, poodles & cockers that I groom. And there is a lot less hair shedding. If you take 100 strands of 10 inch hair & compare it to 100 strands of 1/4 inch hair you will see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by pugnacious View Post
          I love Andis AGC and I shave labs & many short haired dogs & cats including my own pug against the grain with a 5 blade. I will never understand the theory that you can shave anything but double coated dogs. What is the difference? It is all hair that grows from BELOW the skin. Old battle here never to be resolved & there is no scientific research available! Wish I could get a government grant because I would LOVE that! My pug & my aussie grow their hair back at the same rate as all the shihtzus, poodles & cockers that I groom. And there is a lot less hair shedding. If you take 100 strands of 10 inch hair & compare it to 100 strands of 1/4 inch hair you will see the difference.
          the problem with shaving double coated dogs is the way the second hairs come in, if you shave too short you may seal in the dirt and oils since they don't have the hair to follow. I could explain it in more detail but I'm hoping this is sufficient. I can't always talk them out of the shave on those breeds but i can talk them into a #7 instead of a #10. I used andis blades so I #4 reverse and #7 for prime results

Comment

Why don't you sell her a used pair of clippers from your shop and then upgrade to a new one? Either way, she will need to spend over $100.

There's the Wahl KM2 for like $117
            Another cheaper one is the Wahl SS Pro single speed for $99

The Andis clippers will go about $140 and up.

Comment

Not into shaving double coats either but if she is only doing it like 2/3 times a year why doesn't she just take them in to you?

Comment

Well currently I am using a Whal km10 which I love & is still working perfect. I also have a couple other new clippers that I got for the repair price only since whal had a newer model when I sent them in & offered a replacement clipper because they no longer repaired that kind. That was an awesome deal there! So needless to say I don't have a good used one I want to get rid of at this time. I love my km10 but know there are a lot of great clippers out there for a lot less $. I am a one person operation & thought you all would have more knowledge of what to recommend I'm sure you go threw a lot more clippers then I do. As far as shaving labs, their her dogs, I don't judge how someone else wants to keep their animals, she has had labs for years & has always shaved them a couple times a year. I know her husband has them trained to hunt duck etc so they go swimming quite often with them & she said it takes forever to get them dried. I do warn my clients that if I shave this type of dog the hair may not come back the same as it looks currently but ultimately leave it up to the customer to make the decision to have them shaved or not. Anyway, hope I answered all of your questions. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

She prefers to do it herself in the convenience of her home & since I won't except her $ she always hates to ask me. They are also planning on spending winters in FL so she would like a pair of her own. Wow, so many questions about a simple recommendation. LOL
                  Thanks again for the recommendations.
                  Terri

Comment

Whal KM10 is the winning clipper LOL

My friend already ordered a Whal KM10 like mine before I got back with her about your advice. Oh well at least she knows she likes those since she has used them at my shop before. I was just trying to save her a little $$ if I could. But thanks for the suggestions everyone.
                    Terri

Comment

Andis

Comment

Working...
                      X