I took the dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took the dog

A new customer, a new fright. She seems pleasant enough but trouble, you know the feeling. Cute yorkie poo, not in so bad condition and tells me her last groomer has moved away, but no name. I know of no local groomers moving but I don't follow all the local grooming 411. She comes back looking I don't know weird, sad. She sees Sam and cries, and by the way he is 5 years. I thought it was a happy cry but it gets worse. Really tearful. She says she is moving away to take care of her elderly mom and she won't allow any dogs, she lost her job, Mom no longer has a caregiver as of next week, so she has to move tomorrow. The solution, put down Sam. What? Yes I tried to talk her into leads I can give her that will re home him. I said are you the legal owner of him to make sure, she gave me vet number, so I think she is. I said come on we have local help. Yadda yadda I have to leave Tuesday. I felt faint, really, I sat down. You know what I did, I said I will take him, I will re-home him. She smiled (of course) and I had her sign a note saying she was giving him to me and sign and date it for the record. So here I am with my friends on this board, and you know what I don't regret it. I do regret HER, but go figure some people out. I don't think I will have any problems finding a home. He is sleeping my lap while catching up here. I am learning to follow my heart sometimes as I get older and I know sweet Sam is destined now to find a better owner. Even my other dogs have accepted him no problem, a few sniffs from end to end but it is like they know. Happy sad tears compassion, just another day in being a groomer and dog lover.

Got my loving little Chih much the same way. A 'Paris Hilton' dog that the woman got during the craze and used to snag a husband ( "See how loving and nurturing I am ? Bs) She started trying re- home the little thing after the baby was born cause she was 'overwhelmed'. I guess having a nanny, cook, housekeeper and driver made taking care of a baby and a 9 lb dog too difficult.
    Anyhow, she brought the little Chih in 2 years ago bawling that she needed someone to help her find a shelter to take the dog. Too much bs drama and make excuses to go into here. Upshot was that hubs didn't like having dog hair around. Dog had spent past two years living in the kitchen, a bathroom or on the 27th floor balcony, or in prolonged kenneling at our clinic.
    I took dog. Made her sign it over and made her get hubs signature as well.
    Ellie Mae moved in to give my Scottie company during her last days. The two became inseparable. She's calm, sweet, friendly and real snuggler. She keeps my 92 yo dementia affoicted mother company during the days. She's also taken on the training of the 5 yo yorkie that another client signed over to me in January.

Congrats to you for adding to your pack. youll never regret it.

Comment

I've had lots of people approach me wanting me to take their dogs, knowing how well they would be taken care of. Unfortunately, I am not able to do this, as most of the dogs are smaller, and my redbones would eat them. Good for you for adding to your pack, and for helping that person out. You won't regret it I'm sure[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had to chuckle/smirk.......how many people take their dog to the groomer a day before they are going to put it down? I think you did what most groomers would do, so hats off to you.

Happy giving it a better home

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Spot on on this one, Dolly. Manipulative , but at least cared enough to find a good home.

Comment

I forgot, she said she wanted him to look his best before he left. Macabre. He slept well on the bed with my others. No big issues. But I did forget to ask what he normally eats so I can transition him slowly. No answer at her home. Calling the vet Monday to get the real history of past care. Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
            Had to chuckle/smirk.......how many people take their dog to the groomer a day before they are going to put it down? I think you did what most groomers would do, so hats off to you.

Comment

Made me happy knowing this little one got another chance.

Comment

Good for you! I got my little Shih Tzu, Candy, RIP, from her owner after grooming her every 2 wks for 9 years. New boyfriend that I suspect was cruel to poor Candy. She was 12 when she joined my other dogs. As my vet said, if you're in this (or his) business for a length of time, you'll have the opportunity to add a new member to your household.
                Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post

Actually over a 30 yr span, I have groomed many dogs the day before they were PTS....if they could handle it....made the owners feel better, I suppose like dressing a deceased person nicely for a burial.
                  But I am glad this pup found a great home with his groomer, he wasn't ready to be PST, he had just become a problem for his not so bright owner.
                  Ain't always easy to stand up for what is right.

Comment

How is he doing?

Comment

Over the years I have taken in 9 and found homes for 7 and kept 2. They were wonderful dogs. So happy you did this 4them.

Comment

Thank you.. and thank her, even though I find her odd lol.. that she at least said something rather than just dump him at the shelter.
                        Debbie
                        There's always room for another rose in the garden.

Comment

God bless you for that! I hope one day when i open my own salon i can help dogs like these from being put down or thrown in a shelter bcz of (i dnt even knw what word to use to describe such people). I respect you guys so much for taking those dogs and giving them another chance.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Comment

How is he doing?

Comment

He is doing great, sleeping a lot. Other dogs are fine now with him. I have a couple that lost their Yorkie a few months ago that may come over and visit during the holiday weekend and get to know him. They are great pet parent types.

Comment

Working...
                              X