Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Dies at Groomer After Being Soaked in Chemicals

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...94097145-story

SHELBY TWP., Mich. (WJBK) - A routine visit to a groomer turns deadly for a beloved family pet in Shelby Township.

The dog died a miserable death after being soaked in chemicals in the back of the store and now we're learning, this is not the first time a dog has died here due to negligence.

Dennis and Maureen St. Clair are still in shock after losing me their 7-year-old rescue pet named Max.

by Taboola Sponsored Links Ad Content
    Webinar: The Groundbreaking Wi-Fi Technology in Football Stadium
    Hewlett Packard Enterprise
    Angelina Jolie Pitt’s New Go-To Travel Shoe Is Surprisingly Affordable
    Vogue | Everlane
    "If you've had an animal, they're part of your family," said Maureen St. Clair. "And that's what Max was."

Family's dog dies at groomer after being soaked in chemicals
    They say the poodle and cocker spaniel mix was healthy before his routine visit Thursday morning at the Shaggy Dog Puppies and Supplies at Van Dyke near 21 Mile.

"I haven't had any problems before, just took him there to get trimmed, nails," St. Clair said.

Max had been going to shaggy dog grooming about a year with no problems. Then Thursday afternoon, when the couple hadn't received their usual call for pickup, they got concerned. Dennis drove to the shop.

"I saw the groomer, her name was Cindy, and she was coming out the back door with a dog wrapped in blankets and just soaking wet," he said. "And I looked and said oh God, I hope it isn't my dog, and it was Max, foaming at the mouth."

Max also had chemical burns all over his body, and his newly groomed fur was falling off. Dennis rushed him to the vet where he died.

"I was just hysterical," Maureen said. "My husband had to call me, and I feel worse for him because he had to see Max. And he was the best dog ever."

Related Stories

DEVELOPING: Twelve Oaks Mall evacuated
    Andiamo Chef Jim Oppat prepares Summer Scallops
    St. Clair Shores Greek Fest
    U.S. Probation office community resource fair
    The couple was told Max had been barking too much, so they put him in a utility closet where they kept gallons of chemicals which somehow spilled. They say they were not told how it happened, what chemicals they were, or why no one called them sooner.

"I can see if the dog is barking, put it in a room, fine," Dennis said "But with chemicals? There shouldn't be anything in that room. There's no excuse for that."

The lawyer for the St. Clairs said this is the second case of a negligent dog death at Shaggy Dog grooming. Several years ago, another dog was killed after being left in a cage under a hot dryer for too long.

"This shouldn't have happened at all," Dennis said.

"This shouldn't have happened a first time, now a second time?" Maureen said.

FOX 2 went to the Shaggy Dog groomers to find the owners but did not find an owner, or anyone who was there during the incident. FOX 2 was also not allowed to see the chemicals or utility closet.

"You'll have to speak with the owner," an employee said.

FOX 2: "Is the owner around?"

"No she's not," the employee said.

FOX 2: "When will she be around?"

"She's just stops in whenever."

FOX 2 was told the owner would call back. The St. Clairs say the owner did call them to apologize and offer them a new puppy.

The St. Clairs have also filed a police report, citing gross negligence by the owners. They hope if the civil case moves forward as planned, they could shut the business down for good.
    Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Do you think they mixed shampoo and had chemical bottle instead of concentrate?

Comment

"Oops, sorry about that. How about a new puppy?" Even giving benefit of doubt on everything else reported and making no other assumptions, what the actual gobsmacking hell. Is this a common thing and I just don't know it, the offering of new puppies for dead dogs? Because Dog forbid a dog ever meet its untimely demise on my watch whether by accident or just because Jesus calls him home at that exact moment (not cool, Jesus), but I can't imagine offering a new replacement puppy as a way to make peace with it. Is this a thing?

Comment

I was actually just about to post this story. This place is right down the street from me. It is sickening that place is filthy inside and they sell puppy mill dogs. Yuck. I feel so bad for the family.

Comment

How much you wanna bet the owners were looking for cheapest around? If you are trying to rush to fill your quota because of price slashing, somethings going to happen. I wish news articles went more into how to select your groomer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Totally Clips View Post
            "Oops, sorry about that. How about a new puppy?" Even giving benefit of doubt on everything else reported and making no other assumptions, what the actual gobsmacking hell. Is this a common thing and I just don't know it, the offering of new puppies for dead dogs? Because Dog forbid a dog ever meet its untimely demise on my watch whether by accident or just because Jesus calls him home at that exact moment (not cool, Jesus), but I can't imagine offering a new replacement puppy as a way to make peace with it. Is this a thing?
            I read on another forum that this place is also a puppy mill, so apparently they have a supply of puppies. (Ready for replacement).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kiyonai View Post
              I was actually just about to post this story. This place is right down the street from me. It is sickening that place is filthy inside and they sell puppy mill dogs. Yuck. I feel so bad for the family.
              Maybe you can be helpful , since you're in the neighborhood , with an Op-Ed story in the local paper describing how to select a responsible groomer. You could also reach out to the owners, not to drive in business necessarily, but to help clarify that not all "groomers" are horrible, and money driven puppy killers.

I just can't imagine ...,,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OMG what a tragedy. This is a case of someone that shouldn't own a business caring for pets based on all this being true.

Comment

SMH. Can't believe they put the poor thing in what sounds to be the storage closet and didn't expect it to chew the stuff in that closet. Absolutely ridiculous. How do these places stay in business?
                  It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                  Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I have been in this business 4 years and have for the most part worked alone so I haven't seen a lot. I've heard some horror stories from fellow groomers and clients and what I read here on this forum and that's. Yesterday I was talking to a new customer and she told me she was a bather for six months. I asked her if she liked it and she said she hated it. She said she couldn't count how many times she saw a dog jump or was hanging (no deaths) because the groomer turned their back on the dog. She said she thought it would be a good job because she loved animals so much but she just couldn't deal with the carelessness. Then always reading how hard it is to find a good groomer or a groomer trying to find a good shop I can't help but believe that bad places and groomers outnumber the good. I wonder what's the truth?

Comment

In my 20 years as a groomer, I have worked with some groomers that couldn't take the incessant barking and I have had to talk them out of stupid ideas like sticking them in the back where they will be unattended and probably ba a slobbery mess when the pet parent arrives for pick up (at the least),or worse yet muzzling the dog! These are usually the type that are grooming for the money and not for the love of animals. IMO if you can't handle the barking, don't scream at the animal and hide it away from view, rather use the good money you are making to buy yourself some noise cancelling headphones. Better yet, don't work around dogs...get a job in a library! This is a senseless tragedy that didn't need to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by wild4westies View Post
                        In my 20 years as a groomer, I have worked with some groomers that couldn't take the incessant barking and I have had to talk them out of stupid ideas like sticking them in the back where they will be unattended and probably ba a slobbery mess when the pet parent arrives for pick up (at the least),or worse yet muzzling the dog! These are usually the type that are grooming for the money and not for the love of animals. IMO if you can't handle the barking, don't scream at the animal and hide it away from view, rather use the good money you are making to buy yourself some noise cancelling headphones. Better yet, don't work around dogs...get a job in a library! This is a senseless tragedy that didn't need to happen.
                        I worked with a groomer once that muzzled a dog for barking. I thought it was odd when when I saw her muzzling him as I groomed the dog myself and never had problems, besides the incessant noise. I asked if she was biting for nails or something and she simply replied "No, just can't handle the barking anymore." I gave her a pair of ear plugs as I always have some on had and took the muzzle off.
                        It's not what you look at that matters; it's what you see.
                        Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I hope this made big news in town. With the past history this sounds like such a risky place for pet owners.

Comment

Groomer to Shutdown

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...94973512-story

HELBY TWP., Mich. (WJBK) -
                            A beloved family pet dies after a routine trip to the "Shaggy Dog" groomer in Sterling Heights.

Since our story first aired Friday night other concerned dog owners have come forward with complaints against the business.
                            A protest was held outside Shaggy Dog Grooming in Shelby Township following another dog death, allegedly caused when the owners soaked a family pet in chemicals.

More dog owners are coming forward against the groomers. When it comes to violence against pets, especially by groomers, there aren't many laws in place, that's why protesters behind Monday's demonstration say it is so important...........
                            Coordinators post updates to the message for grooming events, members contests, PG.com Classified Ads, GroomerTALK Radio shows and PG.com Magazine online.

Comment

Like I said before, I live 20 minutes from this place. Yes, it is all over the news. I was talking with a fellow groomer today and she said she heard of a case where a client took their dogs here, they got out of a back door and were never found! How is a place like this allowed to operate?!

Comment

Working...
                              X