I think I messed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I messed up

Today someone brought in their Shetland sheepdog for a full service groom. The man said that it's his son's dog and he wants the body "short" but the tail and mane kept longer. So I asked if he meant shaved and he said no, just short. I've never done one of those dogs before, so when they left, I looked it up but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I think it came out like ****, and the owner said it was fine but I wasn't convinced. The dog's name is yogurt lol but yeah, thoughts?

Edit: I used a #4 blade

dmdogcare
    Toy Member
    Last edited by dmdogcare; 08-17-16, 12:28 PM.

well, I think you did the best you could given you really weren't given great instructions and never groomed a sheltie before. that being said, the things that stick out to me are the feet need more cleaning up and the body is too short. Whenever clipping a dog like this de shed is critical. It really makes a difference in the final outcome. Particentral just did a blog on clipping aussies...pretty much the same technique. What length did you use on the body? I think for me personally, I would go no shorter than an A comb. It's enough to take some length off without having to scissor the whole body. Typically, shelties get a nice contour profile trim (at least, that's what I was taught), but they can also look nice clippered when using the right length. If the owners were happy, I wouldn't sweat it. You learn as you go which dogs look better in certain lengths. Keep notes for yourself with your pictures.

Interested to see what others say. I hardly ever clip these dogs, so I'd like to hear about other's techniques and comb lengths chosen

Comment

Not too bad overall. Could definitely use some tidier feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretzel View Post
        well, I think you did the best you could given you really weren't given great instructions and never groomed a sheltie before. that being said, the things that stick out to me are the feet need more cleaning up and the body is too short. Whenever clipping a dog like this de shed is critical. It really makes a difference in the final outcome. Particentral just did a blog on clipping aussies...pretty much the same technique. What length did you use on the body? I think for me personally, I would go no shorter than an A comb. It's enough to take some length off without having to scissor the whole body. Typically, shelties get a nice contour profile trim (at least, that's what I was taught), but they can also look nice clippered when using the right length. If the owners were happy, I wouldn't sweat it. You learn as you go which dogs look better in certain lengths. Keep notes for yourself with your pictures.

Interested to see what others say. I hardly ever clip these dogs, so I'd like to hear about other's techniques and comb lengths chosen
        I used a #4 blade. I went through all my comb attachments but they all made the dog look stupid ... Not like the 4 changed that lol but yeah, idk if they'll be back

Comment

Honestly, it looks terrible. All the shiny top coat is gone. Why do clients want these breeds clippered is beyond me. Not faulting your skill, I would have shortened it down with a thinning shear with the scissor over comb technique along with a proper undercoat deshed. I would be reluctant to even put a snap on comb length on it, maybe an E. Want to keep it natural but shorter is the goal and make the dog look like it didn't get a haircut.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSetterTom View Post
            Honestly, it looks terrible. All the shiny top coat is gone. Why do clients want these breeds clippered is beyond me. Not faulting your skill, I would have shortened it down with a thinning shear with the scissor over comb technique along with a proper undercoat deshed. I would be reluctant to even put a snap on comb length on it, maybe an E. Want to keep it natural but shorter is the goal and make the dog look like it didn't get a haircut.
            No I think it looks terrible as well... He said "make it very short" so to me that's a 4 especially since he said "but don't shave her"

Comment

While the groom you did looks good overall I agree with the feet needing tidying up. You can't down yourself for not being given more specific details on how the owner wanted it done. That's when I grab the length of hair that's on the dog and ask them to show me what they want left on the dog. Then I go from there. As far as these breeds getting cut down in the end while I like mine natural I will do as the owners ask me to unless it hurts the dog.

Comment

I probably would have used a 1/2" comb. I also would have done his chest, then scissored around his head, blending into the 1/2" body. I would have cleaned up his feet with curved scissors.......also I would have cut some of the tail length....yes he wanted it long, but when a tail drags the floor, that's when it's time to trim. I would have also shaped up the tail. I read somewhere that tails shouldn't be any longer than the hock, which probably means a couple of inches off....making sure that you are not close to the bone/cartilage.

Happy doing what the client wants

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

Comment

Yea Tom it does but for what she was given its not that bad. Not her fault the owner requested this. She is a brand new groomer with no oversight with a boss who won't let her refuse anything. What else could she do?

Comment

Originally posted by KDGROOMER View Post
                    While the groom you did looks good overall I agree with the feet needing tidying up. You can't down yourself for not being given more specific details on how the owner wanted it done. That's when I grab the length of hair that's on the dog and ask them to show me what they want left on the dog. Then I go from there. As far as these breeds getting cut down in the end while I like mine natural I will do as the owners ask me to unless it hurts the dog.
                    I couldn't tell if it looked bad or just awkward because those dogs usually aren't supposed to get full on haircuts, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                      I probably would have used a 1/2" comb. I also would have done his chest, then scissored around his head, blending into the 1/2" body. I would have cleaned up his feet with curved scissors.......also I would have cut some of the tail length....yes he wanted it long, but when a tail drags the floor, that's when it's time to trim. I would have also shaped up the tail. I read somewhere that tails shouldn't be any longer than the hock, which probably means a couple of inches off....making sure that you are not close to the bone/cartilage.

Happy doing what the client wants

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com
                      I tried a 0, 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, and a 2 comb but they didn't make the hair "short." I agree that the feet should have been cleaned up more along with the tail

Comment

Originally posted by cockerlvr View Post
                        Yea Tom it does but for what she was given its not that bad. Not her fault the owner requested this. She is a brand new groomer with no oversight with a boss who won't let her refuse anything. What else could she do?
                        Yeah i wish that I had someone around for me to ask questions and give me advice

Comment

Where are you dmdog?

Comment

The biggest thing that stuck out to me is the ears. They look very messy not having been trimmed. I don't mind the mane that you left but I probably would have done more blending and shaping it in a bit better.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have used a #4 blade. These dogs are not meant to be clipped down at all. That being said, you did what the owner wanted......I would've used a #30bl with the longest comb and shortened the back end and chest. Thinners would've been used to even the coat out. Whenever I have dogs like this in, I try to educate the owners as many of them don't know about undercoat and the usefulness behind it. Good first try, I'm sure we've all had the"one" that we question whether it was good or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X