Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential box store employee question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential box store employee question....

I am currently looking to hire a groomer and have found a recent box store graduate that I really like! Only problem is she is 3 months out of training. She says she DID NOT sign any documentation stating that she would reimburse the big box in the event that she quit early. We are far enough away that the non-compete is satisfied. Of she truly didn't sign the agreement stating that she would reimburse the store, is she safe? Don't want to see her make a several thousand dollar mistake. Anyone have any experience with this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Umm.... if she is willing to jump ship from the company that put her through school and not at least finish out her agreed time there what the heck so you think she is gonna do for you? To your company. While she may not like the company coworkers etc... she still agreed. Maybe see if she can split time between the 2 stores if no compete clause is covered

Comment

Understand your position but also see a lot of validity in Dustys comment. One of the main reasons we can individually remain in business is due to our integrity then our skill sets. People are entrusting us with their four footed family members and YOU are entrusting an employee to represent you in all aspects of your business. Character is almost as important as scissoring skills. I'd even take on someone with poor social skills before someone whoso word holds little value.

Comment

Hey I just reread what I wrote
        Sounded kinda mean. Not my intention. But I am serious

Comment

Good point, Dusty. There is this person's integrity and loyalty that might be questioned.
          (Just like one of my customers who brings her dog in for nail trim. She is very nice, but doesn't have a job, or a car, lives with her Dad, and one time was telling us that she used to work at one place but then one day decided she is not going to work there anymore. No notice, just quit. Then same thing at another couple places. And then she asks if we are hiring!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Valid points are already posted. I also know from close friends who were corporate trained, that the "opposite of dumb" box has you sign a two year commitment and the penalties are spelled out in their contract to be trained in their program. I worked with a gal at a private salon that bailed on her box contract early and her former manager found out she was grooming and she received a notice from their legal team. I guess it depends if they find out she's grooming or not, but after four weeks of training and only a few months of experience on the job, I would expect you might be spending a lot of time educating her yourself. I don't think she should expect to make 50% if you are training her as well.

Comment

All good points. And for the record none of you sound mean lol! She and I are both very aware of the integrity aspect of this decision. I suppose my own time at a box store years ago makes me inherently dislike them. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I too spent my time at a box store. Was apprenticed under 2 Cmg's 4 years prior. So I get the box complaints i.e. coworkers particulars of generalized policies etc. But in all honesty I would wait on her to complete her due time.

Comment

I will tell you that the legal teams have gotten far more aggressive going after contract breakers. I know one of the companies sent out collection letters recently and they have a team that monitor those in their promissory period. They will go after her. They are supposed to sign the promissory note before they get sent to training, so I would be questioning that.

Also, the integrity issue really sticks out to me. She made a commitment to that company to train her and is breaking it. Will she hold firm in her commitment to you?

Comment

I will say that at the box store i work for, most of the groomers dont realize they signed a non-compete because ot is an electronic signature, not a paper form set in front of them and explained by anyone. Last i checked, ours was one full year after completion

Comment

It is one year in my area too.

Comment

Working...
                      X